PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Sasha'sSpins
02-08-2012, 07:56 AM
I guess our highways is the same as freeways out in California? I loved driving on them from the get-go. Still do! Perhaps I'm some freak of nature? :D

I feel this is a hard phase Mirai is going through. If she really still wants it (and I believe she does) I think she will climb her way back up again. She was 7th at Nationals due to mistakes obviously but also lackluster performances. If she finds her 2010 Nationals/Olympics consistency again, and gets her sparkle back, she'll be a contender once again. I still believe she has it in her to be a world beater.

Skittl1321
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
LA freeways are especially scary because the motorcycles can ride on the lines between the cars- I'm terrified of changing lanes.

euterpe
02-08-2012, 03:42 PM
I have no problem driving on interstates in NJ, NY and PA. But after my trip to San Jose and being a passenger on the freeway, I wouldn't want to do the driving myself. No, thanks!

FiveRinger
02-08-2012, 05:05 PM
LA freeways are especially scary because the motorcycles can ride on the lines between the cars- I'm terrified of changing lanes.

The first time I saw that I couldn't believe it. Is that even legal?

AxelAnnie
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Yep - it is legal. Awful, but legal. You can't see the motorcycles coming up, and they zip right between the lanes.

I was born and raised in LA, and drove the highways and byways from the moment at 16 that I got my driver's license. I moved (escaped) to Northern California about 20 years ago. I go back to LA frequently. It is a NIGHTMARE to drive in.

The freeways are constantly clogged. Drivers are on their phones, eating a burger and tweezing their eyebrows all at the same time LOL. And, to make it worse, there is a mantra going on "Don't let anyone in front of you...ever!"

You better know what lane you need to be in 5 miles ahead, cause no one is going to let you over if you need to get over.

There is no way I would allow a new driver to be driving the distances, and on the freeways that Mirai needs to drive to get to Frank.

Anita18
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
I learned a trick about orienting your side mirrors on Lifehacker, so you have no blind spots: http://lifehacker.com/5471903/adjust-your-car-mirrors-to-fully-cover-your-blind-spots

Changed my freeway-driving life! (I can't believe my entire family still does it wrong!) Now you can see those motorcyclists coming up from wherever behind you. :)

For the record, I MUCH prefer freeways over local roads. At least everyone's going the same direction in approximately the same speed. (I HATE PARKING LOTS!) Whenever someone I know has been in an accident, it's because of a red-light runner. :shuffle:

I take it you've never been to Taiwan? :shuffle: Scooters almost outnumber cars, and NOBODY drives in the white lines. :scream:

Sasha'sSpins
02-09-2012, 06:09 AM
I thought motorcycles have to respect the same road rules as cars, and every other vehicle on the roads? That sounds very dangerous-allowing them to drive right on the lines between cars. Surely that can't be right? Is this what California's driver manual states-that it's legal for motorcycles?

Well I had to look it up-per Wikipedia 'lane splitting' is legal in California although it is not in many States:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

Scary practice. :yikes:

Lanie
02-09-2012, 06:22 AM
If you think driving in LA is bad, being in a car with my parents in Miami is way worse. :yikes:

I hate driving to LA but if I have to I have to. I am way too cautious, though, because I always get some jerk who tries to tailgate or hit me changing lanes. Blah.

Congrats to Mirai! I took 4 tries on my driving test. Turned out the local DMV was telling me I made critical failing errors when I didn't, so I went to a different DMV. :shuffle:

victoriaheidi
02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I learned a trick about orienting your side mirrors on Lifehacker, so you have no blind spots: http://lifehacker.com/5471903/adjust-your-car-mirrors-to-fully-cover-your-blind-spots

Changed my freeway-driving life! (I can't believe my entire family still does it wrong!) Now you can see those motorcyclists coming up from wherever behind you. :)

Can I say that this may change my LIFE? I hate lane changes, freeway or otherwise. Especially at night. So thanks for showing me this!

modern_muslimah
02-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Ok, I can see how driving in LA can be bad. I'll admit that I don't like driving in Philadelphia. Whenever I visit, I usually let my mom or my sisters drive. I have driven in Philly but only for short distances and I definitely didn't feel comfortable. You have to be very aggressive to drive there. People change lanes out of the blue all the time not to mention some of the intersections are bad, especially when turning. It's worse now that the mayor got rid of turning lights at many intersections. I swear, it's like an accident waiting to happen. :yikes:

kwanatic
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Has there been any word from Mirai since nationals? Other than to say she has her license?

Sasha'sSpins
02-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Has there been any word from Mirai since nationals? Other than to say she has her license?

She's only tweeted since that she doesn't have a car, has a new 'Punk' look (her nails), she went hiking on a mountain she didn't know was close to home, and she's got a cold. :blah:

Doubletoe
02-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Maybe Caroline's medal at Nationals this year will light a fire under Mirai's butt. They were always competing against each other growing up, and Mirai often practices at the rink in Artesia where Caroline trains, so maybe that will refuel her competitive spirit. I also think somebody should introduce Mirai to hypnotherapy and meditation. She needs help controlling her mind, and it looks like just repeating positive things to herself out loud isn't cutting it. Whether she has the motivation or discipline to do those things is up to her, of course.

modern_muslimah
02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
It sounds like Mirai is taking a break (which is fine since she'll have a while before competing). We probably won't hear anything from her until we get closer to the summer.

Susan M
02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I guess our highways is the same as freeways out in California?
California is a big place and driving in some parts is no big deal at all. The freeway drivers in LA are a whole other league. (Tom Brokaw once referred to LA as "America's post-graduate school of driving".) People drive incredibly fast, inches apart. They remind me of the Blue Angels sometimes, moving in sync. You have to be alert to everything, 360 degrees around you, and God help you if you need to change lanes. (The tactic, it seems, is just start moving over and pray the other drivers make space.)

Re Nagasu, I'm thinking she will probably find driving herself a lot more stressful than being able to rest, read or zone out while Mom is driving. Who's driving still doesn't solve the problem of wasting way too much time commuting to her rink. She needs to look at getting an apartment of her own near Frank's new rink.