PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Sasha'sSpins
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Wow Mirai passed her exam on the first go! Congrats! Now she can drive to her own coaching, totally liberating and empowering! And less work for mummy.

Surprised there's not more news about Mirai about her next steps, even from Phil! In a way it is good, less pressure for her to perform next time, however exasperating for the fans may be.

Pretty much what I said in a nutshell! :D

IIRC I think the only truly concerning reports were that Mirai's training environment seemed unstable-4 hour drives when training with Frank (and only training with her primary coach twice a week I believe) the rest of the time going from one rink to the other, training with Arturian and even training by herself (NOT good imo). Even Mirai seemed to say in interviews that her current training situation was not ideal.

I think an elite athlete should be training with their primary coach far more than just twice a week-at least 5 or 6 days a out of the week imo. And I don't think someone like Mirai who apparently has some motivation/discipline issues should be training by herself. Twice a week-4 hour drives appear to be all the Nagasu's can handle-and who can blame them? I do hope a better scenario can be worked out for Mirai-and soon.

modern_muslimah
02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
I passed my driving test with barely no errors (got a little awkward changing lanes) and I wouldn't dare have driven freeways and mountain roads 2 hours at at a time back then. :shuffle: It was probably after 5 years of driving that I felt comfortable with it. I've now been driving for 10 years and 5 hours on the freeway no longer fazes me.

I remember my legs would tense up MAJORLY when driving freeways the first year or so I had my license. :lol:

I wonder if it depends on when you get your license. I got my license less than a year ago and I had no problem making a two hour drive on the Ohio Turnpike only a few weeks after getting my license. One of the reasons why I wanted to get my license was so that I would be more free to make highway excursions if I wanted to.

However, I spoke to a friend a while ago and she said that she was afraid of driving alone at all when she first got her license and she also got her license as a teenager.

I guess it ultimately comes down to comfort level. :)

berthesghost
02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I think it's personality driven. I got my lic at 17 and have never shied away from driving: long trips, storms, foreign counties, etc... My husband got his at 30 and although he tends to get out of driving if he can, he has driven long trips trips, in foreign places,etc... A cousin got her lic at 16 and has never once driven since. Not once. And she's 26!

I will say this, mirai is almost 19 and is just getting her lic now, so if I had to venture a guess, I'd bet she's not gonna be jumping at the chance to drive much. But who knows.

icellist
02-07-2012, 09:33 PM
just wondering, can anybody find Mirai's SP at Skate America 2008?

UGG
02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
When was the last time Caroline Zhang placed ahead of Mirai when they went head to head? had to be at least 4 seasons right?

Anita18
02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
I wonder if it depends on when you get your license. I got my license less than a year ago and I had no problem making a two hour drive on the Ohio Turnpike only a few weeks after getting my license. One of the reasons why I wanted to get my license was so that I would be more free to make highway excursions if I wanted to.

However, I spoke to a friend a while ago and she said that she was afraid of driving alone at all when she first got her license and she also got her license as a teenager.

I guess it ultimately comes down to comfort level. :)
You also aren't driving in California. :lol: I got my license at 18, which is a little late but not extraordinarily late. The fear of being in control of a deadly machine scared me most, frankly.

I wasn't very comfortable driving on freeways until two weeks into having to drive to classes off-campus on LA freeways. I'm a pro at it now. :D But I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a completely new driver! There's a lot of psychology you have to work out when driving here, because there's a lot of fast cars and not everyone uses their turn signal. :shuffle: My sister readily drives in the Bay Area and she haaates having to navigate the freeways down south.

chipso1
02-08-2012, 12:36 AM
When was the last time Caroline Zhang placed ahead of Mirai when they went head to head? had to be at least 4 seasons right?

I believe the last time was 2009 U.S. Nationals when Caroline was 3rd and Mirai 5th. That was the year Mirai's injuries and growth spurts seemed to affect her the most, but I'll always remember her FS that year when she started like :fragile: and ended like :D.

FiveRinger
02-08-2012, 12:40 AM
I was in Los Angeles a few years ago and the highway traffic freaked me out. I wasn't even driving. I say this as someone who has a drivers license gor 25+ years. There is no way in hell I would want a new driver with no experience out there

Anita18
02-08-2012, 01:05 AM
It's hilarious - the last time my sister was here, I was talking her through some of the thinking I have to do to drive on the freeways here. "See how this guy on the right is speeding up? He'll probably cut in front of me, so I'll leave him some room....When you want to change lanes and it's crowded, use your signal and let it click 3-5x at most, but not to ask. You're basically TELLING them that you're gonna go in if there's physically room. If you start to merge and there's no room, obviously go back to your lane, but usually people will let you in if you assert yourself. (This part is scary!) And don't leave the signal on too long, otherwise people will think you forgot about it!" :rofl:

It's all automatic for me now, but I remember when I was a new driver, there were SO many things I needed to keep in mind, I couldn't handle all that driver psychology on top of that! :rofl: You have to be comfortable with driving first, THEN you can add all the other stuff on top.

And for teen drivers who are overly confident in their abilities? Well, there ARE lots of accidents and fender benders that occur here around the clock. :shuffle:

IceAlisa
02-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Hmmm, I am from the Bay Area where I drive a lot and I don't recall being aware about anything different when I drove in LA. :confused:

There were reports of those who saw her practice sessions prior to Nats, and the reports were less than spectacular. So I don't know how ready she was (and Mirai indicated there were readiness questions in her interview just prior to Nats).
Really? Where are these reports? I've seen all Mirai's practices but one.

mag
02-08-2012, 01:43 AM
These weren't during Nats, but in the weeks leading up to Nats. I believe they were in the previous Mirai thread. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it--but I misremembered the report. It was actually about Zhang, not Nagasu. My bad

Hmmm, I am from the Bay Area where I drive a lot and I don't recall being aware about anything different when I drove in LA. :confused:

Really? Where are these reports? I've seen all Mirai's practices but one.

Apparently it was Caroline Zhang, not Mirai.

IceAlisa
02-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Caroline had tougher practices than Mirai. She struggled with some jumps, specifically her 3loop/3loop and others on occasion, but she did look a lot better than before, a lot of problems with her skating had been worked out. Zhang had worked ridiculously hard to get into that 4th place. I think most people recognize that. She really was one of the highlights of the competition, the come back kid. :respec:

sadya
02-08-2012, 06:44 AM
I passed my driving test with barely no errors (got a little awkward changing lanes) and I wouldn't dare have driven freeways and mountain roads 2 hours at at a time back then. :shuffle: It was probably after 5 years of driving that I felt comfortable with it. I've now been driving for 10 years and 5 hours on the freeway no longer fazes me.

I remember my legs would tense up MAJORLY when driving freeways the first year or so I had my license. :lol: That's probably not the best warmup for skating!

Same here. After finally passing my driving test (years ago) I was still frightened of freeways too. When I had to drive to the next town, I'd go through town even if that meant it would take more time. It took a long time before I was really comfortable there.

sadya
02-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Wow Mirai passed her exam on the first go! Congrats! Now she can drive to her own coaching, totally liberating and empowering! And less work for mummy.

Surprised there's not more news about Mirai about her next steps, even from Phil! In a way it is good, less pressure for her to perform next time, however exasperating for the fans may be.

Congratulations to her! Speaking as a 7th-time passer I think it's special when people pass the first time! :lol:

She must have had her nerves under control. I'd love to see her that way in skating competitions too. I still have faith in Nagasu and somewhere in the near future she will get herself back together again and make everyone elses skating seem like lesser programs.

victoriaheidi
02-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Same here. After finally passing my driving test (years ago) I was still frightened of freeways too. When I had to drive to the next town, I'd go through town even if that meant it would take more time. It took a long time before I was really comfortable there.

You guys make me feel better. :) I've had my license for nearly 2 years and barely ever do the freeway. Especially because LA freeways are scary.