PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

modern_muslimah
02-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Has anyone heard or read any news regarding Mirai? I know it's only been week since Nationals ended but I'm wondering if she's training again and how she's handling her result at the competition.

RockTheTassel
02-04-2012, 01:21 AM
And as for Mirai's music; whose to say that Mirai had nothing to do with what her music choices. I've actually heard that for at least one of the programs (the short) the exact opposite is the case.

This is true. I remember an interview where Mirai talked about how she selects music for programs. She said that her choreographer offers suggestions but that she (Mirai) has the final say on the music she skates to. It doesn't sound like the music and programs are just forced on her without her imput.

No matter what I think Mirai is lovely, but I agree that her heart doesn't seem to be in it anymore. I hope she finds something she enjoys, whether it's skating related or not.

chipso1
02-04-2012, 01:58 AM
I thought Mirai's music choices were great this year. Her choreography for the FS, however, was awful. That's the most uninspired Lori Nichol work I've ever seen. :scream: The placement of the spiral sequence was especially puzzling. Mirai has a gorgeous spiral -- why not highlight it on the crescendo of the music? Instead, it gets buried halfway down the ice and in the corner on poor musical phrasing.

Her short program was fab, especially when she skated it with conviction (like at Nebelhorn and Cup of China).

victoriaheidi
02-04-2012, 03:00 AM
I thought Mirai's music choices were great this year. Her choreography for the FS, however, was awful. That's the most uninspired Lori Nichol work I've ever seen. :scream: The placement of the spiral sequence was especially puzzling. Mirai has a gorgeous spiral -- why not highlight it on the crescendo of the music? Instead, it gets buried halfway down the ice and in the corner on poor musical phrasing.

Her short program was fab, especially when she skated it with conviction (like at Nebelhorn and Cup of China).

Yeah, my complaint about her programs this year was that they were just not at all interesting. I didn't really like the short, either. I didn't mind the music so much. It wouldn't have been my choice for her, but whatever. Those programs were snoozefests.

Sasha'sSpins
02-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Universal Sports is repeating the ladie's event again. Mirai really is a blank out there. Very sad to see. I was wondering where she would have placed if she had all those triples she missed back (2Axel/3toe instead of 2Axel/2toe which is what she did), the 2 falls and the popped jump. With such an emotionless performance I'm guessing 3rd.

b-man
02-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Aren't most of those reports about laziness and poor training habits at least a year old. Are there any recent reports, in the last year, other than the practice reports from Nationals?

Sasha'sSpins
02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Congratulations Mirai! She passed her driver's test!

Mirai Nagasu - Twitter (http://https://twitter.com/#!/mirai_nagasu)
mirai_nagasu Mirai Nagasu
Driving test appointment in 9 minutes. Came to the dmv early n passed the sucker! Woohoo! :):):):) http://pic.twitter.com/TpNcBLWE
22 minutes ago Unfavorite Undo Retweet Reply

AWESOME MIRAI!!:cheer::kickass::respec::cheer2:

Not clear if she also passed the road test just yet, but if so she can drive HERSELF to the rink/s from now on! :cool:

Hopefully, with new found freedom and responsibility will come more maturity and thoughtful decisions on what path she wants to take the next few years. I especially hope she can find a better training situation, and also find her love and joy for the sport again. :D

victoriaheidi
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
AWESOME MIRAI!!:cheer::kickass::respec::cheer2:

Not clear if she also passed the road test just yet, but if so she can drive HERSELF to the rink/s from now! :cool:

Hopefully, with new found freedom and responsibility will come more maturity and thoughtful decisions on what path she wants to take the next few years. I especially hope she can find a better training situation, and also find her love and joy for the sport again. :D

We only have a road test for the license, so yes, she did it! :)

sk9tingfan
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Not to be a naysayer, but, she was only 4 errors away from failing.....

FiveRinger
02-06-2012, 06:18 PM

:rolleyes: For real? So why didn't you keep that one to yourself?

modern_muslimah
02-06-2012, 07:46 PM

:blah: She passed and that's all that matters.

Anyway, congrats to Mirai for getting her license! Being able to drive on your own brings so much freedom.

victoriaheidi
02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
:blah: She passed and that's all that matters.

Anyway, congrats to Mirai for getting her license! Being able to drive on your own brings so much freedom.

Yeah, I took the driving test three times before I passed. Both times, I failed on things that drivers do all the time. So I'm not faulting Mirai for making a few errors.

modern_muslimah
02-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I took the driving test three times before I passed. Both times, I failed on things that drivers do all the time. So I'm not faulting Mirai for making a few errors.

It took me two times to pass the test. I made errors on the driving part and failed maneuverability the first time. It's probably rare for someone to pass the test with no errors.

Skittl1321
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
but if so she can drive HERSELF to the rink/s from now! :cool:

With a 4 hour (is that what it is?) commute, I'd rather someone else drive...

Congrats to Mirai! I never had to take a road test, because if you took state certified drivers ed, skills were certified as you learned them. Took me one try to parallel park, did it again to prove it wasn't a fluke, and have never done it successfully since.

kwanatic
02-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Congrats on her passing the test. That's a milestone in everyone's life.

I hope Mirai does some soul searching and figures out what she wants. I think she and Frank have reached a parting of the ways. I think she's learned a lot under Frank but he's taken her as far as she's going to go. It's time for her to take the next step as far as her career goes. She's still one of (if not the) most talented ladies the US has to offer...but she has some internal issues she needs to fix ASAP. New coach? New training site? New choreographer? New approach? She needs to figure out what's not working and fix it.