PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 06:39 AM
What I meant to say was that I wasn't the first one to bring them out to compare, but since someone else did, I pointed out the obvious.
And it's obvious that Sasha was more inconsistent than Mirai...okey dokey.

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 06:39 AM
And it's obvious that Sasha was more inconsistent than Mirai...okey dokey.

In the sense that she never put together 2 clean programs and Mirai did.
But in terms of performing overall and getting high placements Sasha was more consistent.

FiveRinger
02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
^^What is the argument about? Neither one is consistent, so its a moot point

bek
02-02-2012, 12:58 PM
^^What is the argument about? Neither one is consistent, so its a moot point

I actually think Sasha was very consistent. Consistency just means putting in the same type of program all the time. Which Sasha did.

Sasha normally did a good short and had problems in the long; but always did enough in the long to medal. That's why Sasha's results weren't all over the place.

Mirai is the one who is inconsistent because one day Mirai will put in a program that is half hearted; with a blank face, and all kinds of mistakes. And then lets say two weeks later she will put on a wonderful performance with lovely jumps etc.

berthesghost
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
04 she skates a strong sp and a good lp where she botches a 3s in the final minutes.

05 she skates a strong sp and a good lp where she flubs the 2nd 3f and then botches a 3s in the final minutes.

06 she skates a strong sp and a good (enough) lp where she flubs the 2nd 3f, messy landing on 3t and 2a and then botches a 3s in the final minutes.

And people are all "omg she's so volatile and unpredictable, you never know how Sasha is going to skate, so inconsistent!" :lol:

Here's a hint to any newbies: enjoy the sp, then during the lp and wait for the inevitable mistake on the final 3s. :P

berthesghost
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
actually, I wasn't the first to draw the comparison.
but since others did (and unfavorably at that), I responded by pointing out that by my standards mirai was at least able to put together 2 clean programsI believe the comparison is because neither have been able to meet the expectations of their fans who feel neither are meeting their potential. Both are plagued with "why? Why? Why?" and posters will always disagree on the answer.

Skating 2 clean(ish) programs one day and bombing the next isn't "consistent" IMHO.

Skating strong sp and good lp with almost always 2 mistakes in the 2nd half isn't "inconsistent" IMHO.

"consistent" to me means usually the same, not "was able to skate clean once".

snoopysnake
02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
This is not an argument clinic about Sasha Cohen! "Try Mr. Barnard, room 12."

Perhaps you should start another thread about Sasha.

I wonder if Mirai might do well to take next year off from skating and start college. That would give her a chance to see if she misses skating or not, and also give full attention to her freshman year.

arakwafan2006
02-02-2012, 05:34 PM
This is all speculation and some of us if we actually talked with Mirai would probably feel silly after the encounter. With that being said, and of course going off of the short time that i ever see her at a competition on TV, she still acts and internalizes things like a young girl vs a woman. Sandra made a comment during the pair performance of Evora and Ladwig that Amanda is just too nice to really thrive in a competitive environment. I think that Mirai is along those lines as well.

The observation of Mirai breaking her concentration and looking at the audience member... eh that didnt bother me as much as Mirai not being able to bounce back from it. The ultimate distraction was the streaker who hopped on the ice before Kwan at worlds the year she skated to Tosca. Either you can handle it or you cant.

Frank-

I cant say that Nagasu's issues are training related. I do think that she's gotta learn how to compete and truly feel music. Is changing coaches a necessity? perhaps. I tend to think though that she would have done foolish things like put a double loop on the end of a double toe in a 3 jump combo with zero speed no matter who her coach was.

arakwafan2006
02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I actually think Sasha was very consistent. Consistency just means putting in the same type of program all the time. Which Sasha did.

Sasha normally did a good short and had problems in the long; but always did enough in the long to medal. That's why Sasha's results weren't all over the place.

Mirai is the one who is inconsistent because one day Mirai will put in a program that is half hearted; with a blank face, and all kinds of mistakes. And then lets say two weeks later she will put on a wonderful performance with lovely jumps etc.

The blank face thing kills me as well. Plus, she does not always time her movements to the music. Her spirals, though a nice position are achieved so random looking... plop... there's a leg just sticking up there. no creschendo etc. eh...

berthesghost
02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
I cant say that Nagasu's issues are training related. I do think that she's gotta learn how to compete and truly feel music. Is changing coaches a necessity? perhaps. I tend to think though that she would have done foolish things like put a double loop on the end of a double toe in a 3 jump combo with zero speed no matter who her coach was.I think the two go hand in hand. In one of the articles frank basically says she has to work harder, and she loses the big picture because she obsesses over trivial matters. This is followed up by a quote from mirai that basically says Her mom tells her to work harder and improve on some things and then she goes and obsesses over the little criticism and loses the bigger picture. Then she goes to nats and practices well but tanks the comp because she's thinking too much and not relying on the muscle memory she'd have if she trained harder. She misses jumps and then says it was because she was thinking too much about her facial expressions. It's a vicious cycle.

UGG
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
It only seems like Sasha was inconsistent because she was skating against people like MK and Irina who could lay down 6-7 triple programs with no errors.But really...fans could always count on her to skate a beautiful short program and a 5-6 triple long program with 1 mistake and a podium finish. You could always count on Sasha from that.

If you compare her to other world/national champions, her "inconsistency" is consistent with most of them. If that makes sense.

judgejudy27
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
True Sasha was born in the wrong era. She probably would have won major titles in this era and the one before Kwan. There was also Shizuka who was inconsistent as heck but could out of the blue produce a brilliant and clean competition (with or without great difficulty, depending on what was needed) at the most opportune times, denying Sasha with her fateful 1 or 2 error programs a couple times as well.

RD
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Well, yes, but- this thread is about Nagasu though, not Cohen.

I haven't seen any quotes from her since the Nationals though. As only the 3rd alternate for worlds, her season is virtually over. Does she still qualify for 2 GP events next year, though? (I recall her doing ok on the GP this year)

Sylvia
02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Does she still qualify for 2 GP events next year, though? (I recall her doing ok on the GP this year)
As of today, Nagasu is ranked #8 in the ISU World Standings and #8 on the 2011-12 Season Best total scores list, so she should remain eligible for selection to next season's Grand Prix.

FiveRinger
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Indeed, Mirai's season is most likely over. Hopefully she'll have a chance to get some downtime (and a few trips to the beach) so that she can buckle down and figure out what her next course of action is.