PDA

View Full Version : The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

AxelAnnie
02-02-2012, 03:21 AM
sasha was more inconsistent than mirai..

That may be true as to landing jumps...but I don't think the two are comparable. Maraii
Just seems like she is marking the program...or that she is in a dress rehearsal. Sasha makes mistakes...but she always drew you in with her intensity and fire. Not Marai. She has more presence on the ice than anyone.....when she chooses to. She is out there like she doesn't care.

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Mirai. But yes, watching her in practice I thought to myself that may be she is saving the performance for the actual skate. Wrong. :(

Alissa, OTOH, performed the hell out of her SP during the Tuesday practice. It was brilliant, brought us out of our bleacher seats. I wish she didn't leave that gorgeous skate on the practice ice. :(

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 04:12 AM
i wasn't in any way saying mirai was a superior skater. sasha is a legend

but they were both headcases and in sasha's case it almost became comical that she didn't skate 2 clean programs in a row. it's like WTF?!?!? many people are conjecturing that mirai has lost her passion for the sport and that's why she's doing poorly. with sasha it was clear she wanted it so bad, so what was the problem? in one article she said she got tired..but in many lp peformances she ends them quite strongly despite falling so i'm not sure it was a stamina/strength issue

Nomad
02-02-2012, 04:25 AM
I think Nagasu just never got into either program and was so uncomfortable with the characters she was supposed to portray/emotions she was supposed to project that she just froze and went through the motions. I hope that next season she and her team come up with programs she actually likes and will want to perform.

jenny12
02-02-2012, 05:40 AM
i wasn't in any way saying mirai was a superior skater. sasha is a legend

but they were both headcases and in sasha's case it almost became comical that she didn't skate 2 clean programs in a row. it's like WTF?!?!? many people are conjecturing that mirai has lost her passion for the sport and that's why she's doing poorly. with sasha it was clear she wanted it so bad, so what was the problem? in one article she said she got tired..but in many lp peformances she ends them quite strongly despite falling so i'm not sure it was a stamina/strength issue

Sasha was inconsistent, but I've never seen her skate like her heart was not in it, which, I think, Mirai came off as this nationals. I don't even know if Sasha was more inconsistent than Mirai when it came to jumps since Mirai unfortunately has had a lot of problems with underrotations, two-foot, etc.

fenway2
02-02-2012, 05:51 AM
I can't think of an elite skater about whom harsh comments (and that's putting it mildly) haven't been made here on FSU.

Midori Ito. :lol: I've never read one negative thing about her on here. People have even claimed that her leg wrap was beautiful. :lol:

Getting back to Mirai, am I the only one who thought she looked super aggressive on her first few jumps? They were really big too! Then she made her first error and... :shuffle:

As IceAlisa and others have has said, she looked great in practice so I don't lack of training/motivation was the problem. I just don't think she has the fight in her. Too bad she doesn't have Rachael's fight/competitive spirit, or too bad Rachael doesn't have Mirai's talent.

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Midori Ito. :lol: I've never read one negative thing about her on here. People have even claimed that her leg wrap was beautiful. :lol: Isn't she the one who fell into the stands on a jump?

Too bad she doesn't have Rachael's fight/competitive spirit, or too bad Rachael doesn't have Mirai's talent.

Word.

berthesghost
02-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Sasha was one of the most consistent skaters of her time, surpassed only by kwan. In 5 trips to worlds she finished 4th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. In 3 straight podium finishes, she was with completely different women each time, people who would be 3rd one year and 12th the next, 9th one year and 1st the next, 1st one year and 9th the next, etc... Please, most skaters are praying that god strike them down with cohen's "inconsistent" results. :lol:

Nomad
02-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Isn't she the one who fell into the stands on a jump?

yes. I think it was the 1991 World's. And she got right back onto the ice and finished her program. Afterwards she skated back and apologized to the cameraman whose camera she'd crashed into, IIRC.

ETA:Here's the link Midori Ito SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAyEczM_h90)

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Sasha was one of the most consistent skaters of her time, surpassed only by kwan. In 5 trips to worlds she finished 4th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. In 3 straight podium finishes, she was with completely different women each time, people who would be 3rd one year and 12th the next, 9th one year and 1st the next, 1st one year and 9th the next, etc... Please, most skaters are praying that god strike them down with cohen's "inconsistent" results. :lol:

i'm not talking about placements here, which is relative to the competition. i'm talking about skating to your maximum potential. you cannot call sasha cohen one of the most consistent skaters in the sport's history when she never skated 2 clean programs in a row. some chick might consistently have clean programs but only with salchows and toe loops and thus only land in 14th place. joannie rochette could've landed 7 clean triples at the olympics but still would've been 2nd behind yu-na kim's performances.

sasha's strong placements were in SPITE of her inconsistencies in jumping (due to her strong spins and spirals)

and the problem with comparing mirai and sasha is they're not from the same era, so there are different standards. it also depends on how you define a "clean" program. for me, i can forgive slight underrotations and flutzes, since to a casual viewer they're unnoticeable and don't ruin the flow of the program...but others understandably won't

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 06:31 AM
and the problem with comparing mirai and sasha is they're not from the same era, so there are different standards.

YOU are the one who compared them. Perhaps you should have thought of the above first.

my point was that everyone knows sasha has never had 2 clean programs in a row (outside of a cheesefest).

mirai has
And this too.

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 06:32 AM
YOU are the one who compared them. Perhaps you should have thought of the above first.

actually, I wasn't the first to draw the comparison.
but since others did (and unfavorably at that), I responded by pointing out that by my standards mirai was at least able to put together 2 clean programs

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM
And this too.

...that was a response to someone comparing them

IceAlisa
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM
actually, I wasn't.
Really? Then what were you doing here?

sasha was more inconsistent than mirai..

iarispiralllyof
02-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Really? Then what were you doing here?

What I meant to say was that I wasn't the first one to bring them out to compare, but since someone else did, I pointed out the obvious.