PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #14 V&M - The Future's so Bright, I Gotta wear Shades

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

Subway
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I hate the SD and think it was the worst move that the ISU ever did in removing it from competition and replacing it with something that fans don't want to see .. I wish the OD would come pack. The thought of being tortured next year with a polka is not going to make this sport watchable on tv. It's as if they decided not to make a decision. Okay, lose the audience-unfriendly cd, but we don't want to lose the discipline of the cd. Let's throw away the audience-friendly od and replace it with a hybrid of the cd and od, with the worst of both.

Why does it take so long to change this decision? Why wait until after Sochi? Wasn't it Tessa who felt juniors should train and compete cd, but not in seniors? Perhaps if cds were rigorously trained up through juniors, that would preserve the skating quality in ice dance that nobody wants to lose. By seniors when most figure skaters are at least late teens, the training from juniors should ensure a certain level of edge quality among the top skaters.

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Something about "piss-off Yankee Polka" :lol:
Maybe something
we’re hungry again and have something to fight for
We feel like we’re coming in and we have something to prove.

we really skated together, something I felt had been missing since the Olympic year

How about "Yankee (Polka) Go Home!!"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Yankee_go_home

Link is for those who may not be familiar with the famous expression.

Macassar88
02-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Has anyone else seen this blog?

http://dubemoir.blogspot.com/

The author is crazy...she thinks that Scott and Jessica are in a sham relationship, that Virtue and Moir have a secret baby together and that Skate Canada is behind this massive cover-up of a V/M relationship. Talk about insane. :scream:

It's hilarious! Love it!

elle123
02-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Wasn't it Tessa who felt juniors should train and compete cd, but not in seniors? Perhaps if cds were rigorously trained up through juniors, that would preserve the skating quality in ice dance that nobody wants to lose. By seniors when most figure skaters are at least late teens, the training from juniors should ensure a certain level of edge quality among the top skaters.

Yes, I remember Tessa saying something like that before the SD was introduced if I remember correctly.

I'm no expert and this may be a silly question, but why couldn't they have done just one pattern of the CD within the SD so that it doesn't take up as much time, allowing SDs to be less jammed-packed.

And guys, please, any ideas for new thread title?
1. Ice Dancing is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have without Taking her Clothes off (This may offend some people but it's a play on a Panic! at the Disco song)
2. The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm or Without Rhythm Your Heart Would Not Beat
3. Me against the music (polka).

I'll post if I think of anything else.

martyross
02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
How about "Yankee (Polka) Go Home!!"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Yankee_go_home

Link is for those who may not be familiar with the famous expression.
oh i love this one :D

Fort
02-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm no expert and this may be a silly question, but why couldn't they have done just one pattern of the CD within the SD so that it doesn't take up as much time, allowing SDs to be less jammed-packed.

I believe, that basically, it has to do with giving the judges/tech caller enough to judge. Last season, only one pattern of the Golden Waltz was skated (though they had two options on where to start the pattern). But the Golden Waltz is a (much) more complex CD: it's pattern is one complete rotation around the rink, and when skated as a CD the pattern was done only twice, which took nearly two minutes to finish. The Rhumba, on the other hand, has a pattern which only takes up half a rink; it was skated four times for a CD and was still done in a minute. There are only about sixteen steps in the Rhumba, so there aren't many to choose from as 'key points' for those important marks; hence, two sequences skated in this season. Next season's polka will probably be just the one sequence again.

iggie
02-25-2012, 10:17 PM
why can't they just stick to one rhythm. why do they say you must do two or three or whatever. why don't they ask for it to be more coherent?

Fort
02-25-2012, 10:41 PM
^^I guess that's where they think the creativity comes into play. They 'let' the skaters choose, within limits, something else to play with, and in theory, it's more entertaining to the audience as well. The options in the past, however, don't require the skaters to change rhythm; they were allowed to skate the Golden Waltz with more waltz, and the Rhumba with more rhumba. Now, the pattern dance will probably always feel a little bit off in the middle of the SD -- there isn't much help for that. But when the music cuts are disjointed and jarring, that's on the skaters and choreographers.

Emdee
02-26-2012, 12:27 AM
I like
Without Rhythm your heart would not beat

We can talk about the Polka next season. Something tells me they are going to rock it. I just dont think its Charlie's dance.

Cherub721
02-26-2012, 12:32 AM
2. The Subject for Tonight's Lecture is Rhythm

That gets my vote!

iggie
02-26-2012, 12:44 AM
That gets my vote!

love it too

ddtpdx
02-26-2012, 01:13 AM
me three;)

elle123
02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
I believe, that basically, it has to do with giving the judges/tech caller enough to judge. Last season, only one pattern of the Golden Waltz was skated (though they had two options on where to start the pattern). But the Golden Waltz is a (much) more complex CD: it's pattern is one complete rotation around the rink, and when skated as a CD the pattern was done only twice, which took nearly two minutes to finish. The Rhumba, on the other hand, has a pattern which only takes up half a rink; it was skated four times for a CD and was still done in a minute. There are only about sixteen steps in the Rhumba, so there aren't many to choose from as 'key points' for those important marks; hence, two sequences skated in this season. Next season's polka will probably be just the one sequence again.

Thanks! It makes so much more sense now.

sequins
02-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Make it 4.

And yes Rafter that blog is insane, but it's so nutty that it can be a guilty pleasure. Can't believe anyone would buy into it though.:yikes:

Oh and as much as I hate the SD I adored V&M's last season. The outfts, the music, the dance, pure elegance. But enough is enough it ain't workin', why wait until Sochi is over?

Sonata
02-26-2012, 01:43 AM
And guys, please, any ideas for new thread title?

What about taking this sort of quote from the movie and title song?

For Worlds We'd Not Replace Their Sunny Funny Face