PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #14 V&M - The Future's so Bright, I Gotta wear Shades

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sahararainfall
02-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Regarding athleticism - Tracy Wilson has been very clear in pointing out the effort and control required to maintain the details of line, toe point and synchronization of gestures and moves to the beats of the music (while executing complex elements at speed and integrating it into a story).

Achieving this kind of detail requires a very high level of athleticism.

Of course D/W are wonderfully athletic, too, in a different style.

Agree with the above.

Just because D/W prefer the style of in-your-face athleticism does not make them the better athletes and just because V&M prefer to highlight their dancing skills does not make them any less of an athlete. I understand there is a perception out there that while V&M are the “pure dancers,” D&W are the athletes and that this somehow equalizes these teams out, but I simply can’t agree. Obviously like everything else around here this is all very subjective but to me personally, with regard to performance arts or sports involving dance, the dancer is simply the more evolved artist than the basic athlete. I mean athleticism is nice and all. It is a mandatory component obviously with dance or sports, the stage where the raw physical ingredients of strength, power, speed, explosiveness, flexibility, etc. are developed. After this stage however comes (well I think it should anyway) the development of the dancer. The stage where raw power and strength becomes contained and controlled, the speed and explosiveness refined and polished. The stage where the whole human body becomes a graceful moving instrument to interpret the music and the story and a voice to articulate its beats and rhythm. This is difficult enough to do individually so what more with partnered dancing. That V&M can do all these both individually and as partners is just a testament on how strong or how evolved they are as athletes and dancers. Too bad for them it’s a quality that is hard to quantify in ice dance, but I’m glad they are not sacrificing the fundamentals of dance in favor of the ice dance tricks but seems to be trying to find a balance. As a dance fan, I cannot really ask for more. I mean compare this (http://www.skatecanada.ca/Portals/2/2012CDNSPhotos/SrDance/Gilles%20&%20Poirier.jpg) with this (http://media.zenfs.com/en_CA/Sports/Canwest/6139740.bin). And no, not the chest hair, don't get distracted by the chest hair.

ETA: Late thank you to Cherub721 for the heads up on the Roman-related threads. I'll definitely check out the Bolero one, Roman with Air Natalia, got to see that one. Thanks again!

ETA: Thanks also for the posted commentaries/translations. Sweet sweet memories indeed. Pani's right though. They were so young.

pani
02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Agree with the above.

Just because D/W prefer the style of in-your-face athleticism does not make them the better athletes and just because V&M prefer to highlight their dancing skills does not make them any less of an athlete. I understand there is a perception out there that while V&M are the ďpure dancers,Ē D&W are the athletes and that this somehow equalizes these teams out, but I simply canít agree. Obviously like everything else around here this is all very subjective but to me personally, with regard to performance arts or sports involving dance, the dancer is simply the more evolved artist than the basic athlete. I mean athleticism is nice and all. It is a mandatory component obviously with dance or sports, the stage where the raw physical ingredients of strength, power, speed, explosiveness, flexibility, etc. are developed. After this stage however comes (well I think it should anyway) the development of the dancer. The stage where raw power and strength becomes contained and controlled, the speed and explosiveness refined and polished. The stage where the whole human body becomes a graceful moving instrument to interpret the music and the story and a voice to articulate its beats and rhythm. This is difficult enough to do individually so what more with partnered dancing. That V&M can do all these both individually and as partners is just a testament on how strong or how evolved they are as athletes and dancers. Too bad for them itís a quality that is hard to quantify in ice dance, but Iím glad they are not sacrificing the fundamentals of dance in favour of the ice dance tricks but seems to be trying to find a balance. As a dance fan, I cannot really ask for more.

Great post! :)
Didnt V-M try to play at this athleticism direction, when they change ?something in FD?

Sahararainfall
02-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Great post! :)
Didnt V-M try to play at this athleticism direction, when they change ?something in FD?

You mean when they edited out the stationary dance parts, crazy Audrey, tap dance, etc? Did it became more athletic and less dancy? No, I don't think so not really. I think they changed it to balance out the demands of the sport versus the art of dance. I really like the tap dance replacement before the spin, really digging how well synchronized even their head movements are. The changes with the SD however, that to me was just blatant point getting. But, as many pointed out, water under the bridge now. The latest SD format/layout is the final one so I hope it just all works out.

Emdee
02-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Well said Sahararainfall... totally agree!

ddtpdx
02-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Agree with the above.

Obviously like everything else around here this is all very subjective but to me personally, with regard to performance arts or sports involving dance, the dancer is simply the more evolved artist than the basic athlete. I mean athleticism is nice and all. It is a mandatory component obviously with dance or sports, the stage where the raw physical ingredients of strength, power, speed, explosiveness, flexibility, etc. are developed. After this stage however comes (well I think it should anyway) the development of the dancer. The stage where raw power and strength becomes contained and controlled, the speed and explosiveness refined and polished. The stage where the whole human body becomes a graceful moving instrument to interpret the music and the story and a voice to articulate its beats and rhythm. This is difficult enough to do individually so what more with partnered dancing.

Can we send this to the ISU to educate them and their judges? :lol:

pani
02-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Just re-watched 2010 OD. Yes, i miss ODs :(
You know what? I agree, they are skate better now. I nitice this at WCc in Moscow - they skated more close together, then at WCh in Torino.
But this OD was SO difficult and i am now impressed with Tessa expression. Yes, at OG i was most impressed with Scott, especially with his final steps in this OD, but now, when i saw Tessas face at first step sequence.... This girl really rocked :respec: And look at hr arms - her arms were dancing.

NorthernDancers
02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Agree with the above.

Just because D/W prefer the style of in-your-face athleticism does not make them the better athletes and just because V&M prefer to highlight their dancing skills does not make them any less of an athlete. I understand there is a perception out there that while V&M are the ďpure dancers,Ē D&W are the athletes and that this somehow equalizes these teams out, but I simply canít agree. Obviously like everything else around here this is all very subjective but to me personally, with regard to performance arts or sports involving dance, the dancer is simply the more evolved artist than the basic athlete. I mean athleticism is nice and all. It is a mandatory component obviously with dance or sports, the stage where the raw physical ingredients of strength, power, speed, explosiveness, flexibility, etc. are developed. After this stage however comes (well I think it should anyway) the development of the dancer. The stage where raw power and strength becomes contained and controlled, the speed and explosiveness refined and polished. The stage where the whole human body becomes a graceful moving instrument to interpret the music and the story and a voice to articulate its beats and rhythm. This is difficult enough to do individually so what more with partnered dancing. That V&M can do all these both individually and as partners is just a testament on how strong or how evolved they are as athletes and dancers. Too bad for them itís a quality that is hard to quantify in ice dance, but Iím glad they are not sacrificing the fundamentals of dance in favor of the ice dance tricks but seems to be trying to find a balance. As a dance fan, I cannot really ask for more. I mean compare this (http://www.skatecanada.ca/Portals/2/2012CDNSPhotos/SrDance/Gilles%20&%20Poirier.jpg) with this (http://media.zenfs.com/en_CA/Sports/Canwest/6139740.bin). And no, not the chest hair, don't get distracted by the chest hair.

:respec: Wow. Could not have said that any better. This is EXACTLY how I feel.

sequins
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Agree with the above.

Just because D/W prefer the style of in-your-face athleticism does not make them the better athletes and just because V&M prefer to highlight their dancing skills does not make them any less of an athlete. I understand there is a perception out there that while V&M are the ďpure dancers,Ē D&W are the athletes and that this somehow equalizes these teams out, but I simply canít agree. Obviously like everything else around here this is all very subjective but to me personally, with regard to performance arts or sports involving dance, the dancer is simply the more evolved artist than the basic athlete. I mean athleticism is nice and all. It is a mandatory component obviously with dance or sports, the stage where the raw physical ingredients of strength, power, speed, explosiveness, flexibility, etc. are developed. After this stage however comes (well I think it should anyway) the development of the dancer. The stage where raw power and strength becomes contained and controlled, the speed and explosiveness refined and polished. The stage where the whole human body becomes a graceful moving instrument to interpret the music and the story and a voice to articulate its beats and rhythm. This is difficult enough to do individually so what more with partnered dancing. That V&M can do all these both individually and as partners is just a testament on how strong or how evolved they are as athletes and dancers. Too bad for them itís a quality that is hard to quantify in ice dance, but Iím glad they are not sacrificing the fundamentals of dance in favor of the ice dance tricks but seems to be trying to find a balance. As a dance fan, I cannot really ask for more. I mean compare this (http://www.skatecanada.ca/Portals/2/2012CDNSPhotos/SrDance/Gilles%20&%20Poirier.jpg) with this (http://media.zenfs.com/en_CA/Sports/Canwest/6139740.bin). And no, not the chest hair, don't get distracted by the chest hair.

Another :respec: for you. :lol:at the chest hair but wow when you look at those 2 pics even in a quick glance it's so obvious.V&M rock!

ddtpdx
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Not sure whether this has been previously posted but just noticed that 4CC SD (D/W and V/M) and FD (entire competition) video with commentary by Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning has been posted on the CBC website, and it looks like it's not geoblocked (at least not for me so I hope it works for everyone else).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/video/#id=2198703320&tab=3

the SD and FD starts at 47 minute mark.

iggie
02-22-2012, 03:21 AM
Not sure whether this has been previously posted but just noticed that 4CC SD (D/W and V/M) and FD (entire competition) video with commentary by Tracy Wilson and Kurt Browning has been posted on the CBC website, and it looks like it's not geoblocked (at least not for me so I hope it works for everyone else).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/video/#id=2198703320&tab=3

the SD and FD starts at 47 minute mark.

v/m fd starts at 1:38:00
commenting on victory 1:53:00
interview 1:54:00 ... we were so focused on wins, says scott. we let up a bit and focused on great programs. now we just take away that we had two great programs and we'll keep building but with this mentality. tessa... yes, i'm healthy. we're both healthy (sense of even their relationship). we don't take it for granted. we have momentum that we'll take into worlds.

can i just say, i learned so much about levels just listening to tracy talk about them and how you gain or lose levels. she puts in these little gems and i finish the video feeling like i know a little more about ice dancing, a little bit more about how to appreciate tessa and scott and a little bit more about the judging.

Pratfall
02-22-2012, 03:49 AM
:biggrinbosahararainfall...Great post and Great, Great photo show and tell...:biggrinbo

( I'll just add that chest hair is over-rated as an adornment unless the chest is exemplary )

aka_gerbil
02-22-2012, 04:19 AM
The Windsor Star has a few pictures up of Tessa at school:
http://www.windsorstar.com/entertainment/PHOTOS+Gold+medallist+campus/6187500/story.html

zilam98
02-22-2012, 04:30 AM
:biggrinbosahararainfall...Great post and Great, Great photo show and tell...:biggrinbo

( I'll just add that chest hair is over-rated as an adornment unless the chest is exemplary )

faux man-cleave anyone? :lol:

Fort
02-22-2012, 04:48 AM
The Windsor Star has a few pictures up of Tessa at school:
http://www.windsorstar.com/entertainment/PHOTOS+Gold+medallist+campus/6187500/story.html

And the article:
http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Duff+World+champ+Virtue+balances+school+figure+ska ting/6187789/story.html

aka_gerbil
02-22-2012, 05:03 AM
And the article:
http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Duff+World+champ+Virtue+balances+school+figure+ska ting/6187789/story.html

Thanks! The pics came up on a twitter search. I was wondering if there was an article that went with them. :)