PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #14 V&M - The Future's so Bright, I Gotta wear Shades

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Proustable
02-21-2012, 04:21 AM
V/M have always been extraordinary at making the difficult look easy. Are they better dancers now? Hard to say, for me.

I was vibrating with excitement during that Farrucas at the Olympics. Watching the CTV coverage, there was none of the tone-down-the-audience you saw on NBC. It was incredible. The cheers that happened about 2/3s the way through their blazing non-touching steps was echoed in my living room. Tessa's been faulted on her expression in the past, but look at her face. It's like she's staring down a dragon and is going to devour it whole - just full throttled intensity. I've always loved the bookending claps. The first set say "Just watch this." The ending claps say "Yeah, that's right."

And "Mahler"..... I doubt that'll be dislodged as my favourite program of the decade.

Proustable
02-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Robin Cousins and Sue Barker from BBC commented on the V/M's Olympic FD as such....

SB (as they enter opening pose): It's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. Going for Canada. Going for gold.

RC (during the first lift/combination lift): little sigh/giggle of delight

RC (during twizzles): Sensational stuff!

SB (ending pose): "Wow, that has brought the house down here. It was beautiful to watch. From start to finish, they skate with such passion. Perfect footwork, beautiful lifts, spins, twizzles, they had it all. They know they've skated the best they could skate. They've done.... enough? Do you think, Robin" (it really does sound like she had no intention of adding the question mark, but figured she'd better defer to the knowledgeable one here).

RC: "Absolute perfection for me. There was just not a hair out of place. (twizzle replay) I mean, this is slow motion and a lot of the other couples would be happy to go that speed in real life! And just the connection - every single, minute detail was connected to the next

(replay of Goose lift)

SB: "And there was such a hush in the stadium - "
RC (interrupting): "And this is the trademark. Okay, we did that last year, so lets take it a step further"

SB: "Where's it gonna be. They need 104 [score pops up, it's higher, she gets cut-off] WOW, what a score. 110.42, a massive, massive score. Oh, they know it must be enough. No one's gonna catch them now. The gold medal is going to Canada and they deserve it."

---Post D/S winning bronze, V/M's title official ---

SB: But these are the two we're gonna see so much of, hear so much of over the next few days. They'll be doing many more interviews. But this is what the fans came for and they produced an unbelievable performance.

RC: They have performed so consistently. A very lovely Tango Romantica, an exquisite original dance, and for me, probably one of the highlights of my skating life to witness that free dance today.

In the final comments, he compares their dance to the performances John Curry, Torvill/Dean, Gordeeva/Grinkov and Yagudin.

The Accordion
02-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Thanks so much to everyone posting these commentaries. It is really cool to read them and it makes me feel like I am there all over again!

zilam98
02-21-2012, 05:09 AM
Robin Cousins and Sue Barker from BBC commented on the V/M's Olympic FD as such....

SB (as they enter opening pose): It's Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. Going for Canada. Going for gold.

SB (ending pose): "Wow, that has brought the house down here. It was beautiful to watch. From start to finish, they skate with such passion. Perfect footwork, beautiful lifts, spins, twizzles, they had it all. They know they've skated the best they could skate. They've done.... enough? Do you think, Robin" (it really does sound like she had no intention of adding the question mark, but figured she'd better defer to the knowledgeable one here).

RC: "Absolute perfection for me. There was just not a hair out of place. (twizzle replay) I mean, this is slow motion and a lot of the other couples would be happy to go that speed in real life! And just the connection - every single, minute detail was connected to the next

(replay of Goose lift)

RC (interrupting): "And this is the trademark. Okay, we did that last year, so lets take it a step further"

SB: "Where's it gonna be. They need 104 [score pops up, it's higher, she gets cut-off] WOW, what a score. 110.42, a massive, massive score. Oh, they know it must be enough. No one's gonna catch them now. The gold medal is going to Canada and they deserve it."

SB: But these are the two we're gonna see so much of, hear so much of over the next few days. They'll be doing many more interviews. But this is what the fans came for and they produced an unbelievable performance.

RC: They have performed so consistently. A very lovely Tango Romantica, an exquisite original dance, and for me, probably one of the highlights of my skating life to witness that free dance today.

In the final comments, he compares their dance to the performances John Curry, Torvill/Dean, Gordeeva/Grinkov and Yagudin.

do you have a youtube link for this?

Shayii
02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Yes thanks to everybody providing commentaries and links! I can't believe it's almost two years ago since the Olympics. I still remember that night when I just happen to catch Tessa and Scott's FD, like they were just taking their beginning pose when I had turned on the tv and I'm so glad I did. I didn't see the CD and OD, I mean to be honest I didn't even know there was an ice dance segment in figure skating. And I remember I wasn't even really paying attention to the tv, but then almost half way through something happened I don't even know what, but I'm sure it had something to do with their amazing performance! And I've been a fan ever since and of figure skating in general and I hope I'll continue to be one in years to come even after Tessa and Scott retire (I hope it's not until after the 2014 Olympics at least lol).

skoppa
02-21-2012, 06:52 AM

If somebody has any link to BBC version I would be thrilled to get to view it :)

Zemgirl
02-21-2012, 09:55 AM
V/M have always been extraordinary at making the difficult look easy. Are they better dancers now? Hard to say, for me.
I would say that V/M are better dancers while D/W are better athletes, and thus the team people prefer will hinge on what they like to see in ice dance. For me - I'd rather see the emphasis on the dance more than the sport aspect of it.

PashaFan
02-21-2012, 10:07 AM

(replay of Goose lift)

I too have the BBC DVD of the Olympic free dance & I've never known Robin Cousins to love anything as much as their free dance. He really did gush about it. Robin usually can find a negative in every programe but not this !.

kapriza
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Since you guys are talking about how commentators react after Virtue/Moir win at the Olympics, here is Tatiana Tarasova doing a commentary for Russian TV, if anyone is interested in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ9VF6EvekA&list=LLfj7h4o6CsTiTac6HNzAU-Q

Before Tessa and Scott started she was wondering how they could handle the enormous pressure and such a big responsibility. She said it wasn’t going to be easy. During the performance she was watching in the silence but just when they did the final pose and the audience explode with the applause, she said: “Divine! That was a skating by Olympic Champions! It is the real art!” She was truly amazed and touched and you can hear it in her voice. The man commentator said that everyone on the audience was giving the standing ovation and other commentators were standing too. TAT also was standing. TAT: “Yes, we also stand up because it is the real art! The artistry!” She said that they let her to be in heaven for a while and she was so grateful for that. “They showed us the highest level of the artistry” She also praised Marina Zueva and Igor Schpilband for their contribution to the ice dance. When the scores came up man commentator call: “Unquestionably! Without a doubt!” He mentioned that all elements but steps were level 4 and added: “But it’s useless to speak about the elements.” TAT: “Indeed.” They both said in the same time that it was not about the elements, it was the real art. TAT: “They used technical element to express the music”. He read the score they got and said that it was 6 points better than Davis/White. TAT said: “You know, it could be even more.” They were impressed, especially Tarasova.
(sorry, if anything is unclear, I'm not doing well in English)

maharbabackward
02-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I would say that V/M are better dancers while D/W are better athletes, and thus the team people prefer will hinge on what they like to see in ice dance. For me - I'd rather see the emphasis on the dance more than the sport aspect of it.

Why are D/W better atheletes than V/M? I would say they are faster, definitely. Better athletes, no! Look at the lifts that Tessa & Scott perform. Look at the Mahler lifts, how difficult it is for Tessa to hit those positions and Scott to be able to lift her and maintain balance and 2 of the 3 times rotate! Look at the lifts of this year's FD. Beautiful asthetically, but man those are also very athletic lifts! I would say V/M combine sport and dance better than D/W do. Look at the SD, how awkward Charlie looks compared to Scott (the girls are both fierce as hell). D/W definitely need certain programs to play off their strengths whereas V/M have proven they can tackle different genres. They IMO haven't been rewarded enough for their versatility. I'm not a D/W hater, and actually have enjoyed every program they have ever done and consider myself a fan. However, at this point I think at their best it should always be 1) V/M 2) D/W.

vmfan89
02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Since you guys are talking about how commentators react after Virtue/Moir win at the Olympics, here is Tatiana Tarasova doing a commentary for Russian TV, if anyone is interested in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ9VF6EvekA&list=LLfj7h4o6CsTiTac6HNzAU-Q

Before Tessa and Scott started she was wondering how they could handle the enormous pressure and such a big responsibility. She said it wasn’t going to be easy. During the performance she was watching in the silence but just when they did the final pose and the audience explode with the applause, she said: “Divine! That was a skating by Olympic Champions! It is the real art!” She was truly amazed and touched and you can hear it in her voice. The man commentator said that everyone on the audience was giving the standing ovation and other commentators were standing too. TAT also was standing. TAT: “Yes, we also stand up because it is the real art! The artistry!” She said that they let her to be in heaven for a while and she was so grateful for that. “They showed us the highest level of the artistry” She also praised Marina Zueva and Igor Schpilband for their contribution to the ice dance. When the scores came up man commentator call: “Unquestionably! Without a doubt!” He mentioned that all elements but steps were level 4 and added: “But it’s useless to speak about the elements.” TAT: “Indeed.” They both said in the same time that it was not about the elements, it was the real art. TAT: “They used technical element to express the music”. He read the score they got and said that it was 6 points better than Davis/White. TAT said: “You know, it could be even more.” They were impressed, especially Tarasova.
(sorry, if anything is unclear, I'm not doing well in English)

Thank you for this! Everything is very clear and you English is very good! :) I know I sometime feel this way as well because English is not my first language.

pani
02-21-2012, 02:04 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyb2osoRcH1qhf86vo1_500.gif

This two will be so great in watz ;) (i am thinking about next season SD :D)

Thank you all for this sweet memories. Just re-watched Mahler (did saw it maybe 1,5 year) - this was reall masterpice for me. In perfomance, choreo, emotions.
And i remember this words from TAT.

But like Tessa said in interview - we was such a babies :D

Proustable
02-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know how to upload stuff to youtube, or edit videos. Someone wants to give me a tutorial, I'd be happy to do it. Sorry though.

sequins
02-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Wow 2 years already. The first anniversary seems like yesterday.
Thanks everyone for the commentary transcripts/translations. I always wondered what was said on BBC etc. Now I finally know. It's nice because here in Canada aside from Rod Black , who tried his best to compensate it was like crickets chirping. Victor Kraatz barely uttered a word or a compliment it was kinda odd. I was like 'Hello it's history , it's amazing, it's Canadians in Canada, anyone? Anyone?' I got nothin'

I love to watch their Olympic programs every couple of months or so and call me crazy but I enjoy that CD like I never enjoyed a CD in my whole life. The OD is divine/delicious/perfection and yet I thought the one at Worlds that year was even better. FD, well there are no words, it flies by feels like its only a minute long.

About D&W being better athletes, I personally don't believe that either. I think their style of ice dance is more athletic, V&M while athletic never lose the artistry/the story that for me is their strong point and where their focus lies and why I love them more than any team ever. It's the old case of athlete vs artist but in this instance I feel both teams posess both qualities but each is better at one and it's whatever you prefer.

flowerpower
02-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Regarding V/M's athleticism - Tracy Wilson has been very clear in pointing out the effort and control required to maintain the details of line, toe point, unison and synchronization of gestures and moves to the beats of the music (while executing complex elements at speed and integrating it into a story).

Achieving this kind of detail requires a very high level of athleticism.

Of course D/W are wonderfully athletic, too, in a different style.