PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #14 V&M - The Future's so Bright, I Gotta wear Shades

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

zilam98
02-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Yes, I do believe that is the expectation...but I would like to think/hope that the judges would be open to a rumba and a samba that capture the essence of some of the indigenous forms of these dances, even if they do not so closely mimic the ballroom versions. This is something I appreciate about P&B--they take us out of the ballroom and onto the beach!
Again, I did not mean to be adversarial in my earlier post, and I apologize if I was.

i do agree about taking it out of the ballroom and being open to native styles--kinda like how a/p researched and did their 2002 od which continues to be a masterpiece to this day. however, i think the judges dont want the sd/od to look like an fd, so they want the sd/od to be as close to ballroom as possible--and i think maybe p/b get penalized for that as they tend to deviate from the ballroom form (french teams usually do hehehe).

Subway
02-14-2012, 05:51 AM
I agree with Pratfall and zilam98. Also, Scott and Charlie's friendship goes way back (all the way back to their hockey days, from what I read in one article). Meryl and Tessa haven't known each other for as long, and I also think they are a bit more reserved than their partners. As PashaFan said, Meryl and Charlie took the loss really well.

I think this result is ideal going into Worlds as it will likely give Tessa and Scott the momentum they were looking for while giving Meryl and Charlie a little push at a crucial time in such a long season. If you ask me, both teams are saving their best for Worlds:)

I think that most skaters don't act out their personal feelings in front of the media, as entertaining as it can be to read soap opera drama into somebody's demeanor, and acknowledging that figure skating history has brought some fun off-ice theatrics, but not usually from Americans and Canadians - give or take a Nancy/Tonya. I agree Meryl's demeanor didn't signify anything.

Meryl/Charlie and Scott/Tessa have each known each other the same amount of time. That hockey days story goes back to a time Scott and Charlie didn't know each other. There was some sort of pipsqueak rumble on the ice between two teams and years later Charlie and Scott learned they'd been on opposite teams but didn't know it at the time because they were years from their first actual meeting. Tessa's known Meryl as long as Scott's known Charlie. They each got to know each other from competing and later from training.

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 05:52 AM
small medal ceremony part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMltB0WgEc&feature=plcp&context=C3235a97UDOEgsToPDskJQKpf1uhZdOqPazwA2V04j

small medal ceremony part 2 - q and a - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV5xkzhc7Ws&feature=plcp&context=C3c1e780UDOEgsToPDskKGsPz5urmGiGoU9dmXU8d3

a double silver medalist and double bronze medalist--oh my! ;)
thanks for posting, btw:)

ddtpdx
02-14-2012, 06:05 AM
FD from Universal Sports (with TB's commentary) uploaded on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zpPtd7EkPs&feature=related

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 06:16 AM
I think that most skaters don't act out their personal feelings in front of the media, as entertaining as it can be to read soap opera drama into somebody's demeanor, and acknowledging that figure skating history has brought some fun off-ice theatrics, but not usually from Americans and Canadians - give or take a Nancy/Tonya. I agree Meryl's demeanor didn't signify anything.

Meryl/Charlie and Scott/Tessa have each known each other the same amount of time. That hockey days story goes back to a time Scott and Charlie didn't know each other. There was some sort of pipsqueak rumble on the ice between two teams and years later Charlie and Scott learned they'd been on opposite teams but didn't know it at the time because they were years from their first actual meeting. Tessa's known Meryl as long as Scott's known Charlie. They each got to know each other from competing and later from training.

ah, thanks:) I edited my original post.
hehe, that is such a funny story. Well, I guess they can bond over their hockey days and stories like these.

pani
02-14-2012, 06:23 AM
and what the heck is with that accent of the announcer? isnt this comp in the USA? cant they find a native speaker for it? that's just so sad. i almost thought 4cc was held in russia or asia. just for the heck of it, i speak english as second language but i can certainly do a better job than that. maybe i can moonlight as an announcer to those events eh? and get to see the skaters live! ;)

It was Tanya Flade - ISU press persone. She is from German, yes Pratfall :D
She did an amazing job woth Asian skaters interviews (who could talk with Sui-Han, winners in pair skating, with such a big problems with English for them?).
Before Announces was fron countrues, where competitions was hold.

I want to say, all teams have such a gret medis traning. And Scott was a front-man :D Funny, but before one question was for Scott, second - for Tessa, but at 4CC Scott was responsible for all answers. Maybe he did his home work after GPF? :D

pani
02-14-2012, 06:30 AM
I don't know about Davis and White peaking or not but for me their FD is losing its wow factor that it had at the beginning of the season. I don't know if it's because I've seen it so many times or what but it's not as impressive to me at these last two competitions.

Btw, I thought Kurt Browning made some interesting observations on the CBC coverage last night about Davis and white. He basically implied that they are not using their edges compared to virtue and moir. Meryl in particular does a tremendous amount of little hops and runs and toe pick moves in this program.

Getting back to Tessa and Scott, I hope they can skate the sd cleanly at worlds. It was much better here than at nationals but there were still a couple bobbles. Their rhumba patterns were amazing though. So much speed and power in them and great leg unison.

One negative if virtue and moir win worlds means they probably won't leave Igor and marina. :P

At least Kurt said this, Yess! :D I mean before he and Tracy talked so much about how D-W are great, there programs are perfect and put them on the same levele with V-M. But now they let people to see the difference. ;)
The interesting thing - how D-W and V-M could have the same levels and GOEs for step sequenses with this difference in using their edges?
And i notice, the Maia Shibutani didnt show good edges. Mayeb because big height difference, but they had level 3 SS. Its not like i dont like Shibs- they are promissing kids with bright future, but i see this difference.

Haven't seen any quotes but I bet Igor is fuming.
:D He looked happy with T-S in K&C. But after they all saw D-W marks - all 4th (Z-S and D-W) looked very dissapointed.

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 06:32 AM
i do agree about taking it out of the ballroom and being open to native styles--kinda like how a/p researched and did their 2002 od which continues to be a masterpiece to this day. however, i think the judges dont want the sd/od to look like an fd, so they want the sd/od to be as close to ballroom as possible--and i think maybe p/b get penalized for that as they tend to deviate from the ballroom form (french teams usually do hehehe).

something I have always loved about French teams...and I still adore A&P's flamenco. That is another style of dance that I am very attached to, and when I watch that OD, it makes me think of some of the flamenco I saw in Seville (though there are so many different versions of flamenco, too!) You have made me wonder, though, if V&M might pull higher interpretation scores if they employed stiffer arms.

zilam98
02-14-2012, 06:47 AM
something I have always loved about French teams...and I still adore A&P's flamenco. That is another style of dance that I am very attached to, and when I watch that OD, it makes me think of some of the flamenco I saw in Seville (though there are so many different versions of flamenco, too!) You have made me wonder, though, if V&M might pull higher interpretation scores if they employed stiffer arms.

that's possible. i remember a/p's 2000 latin od being received less by the judges than f-p/m's. the latter team employed a more ballroom look and interpretation to their od than a/p did, even though a/p IMO had far superior skating skills

pani
02-14-2012, 06:59 AM
that's possible. i remember a/p's 2000 latin od being received less by the judges than f-p/m's. the latter team employed a more ballroom look and interpretation to their od than a/p did, even though a/p IMO had far superior skating skills

IMHO, F-P/M was born for latin dance :D It was one of the best latin dance ever (in 2000), when A-P wasnt so good in dancing programs, like 2000 and 2001 ODs.
And maybe its good they saw this problem and did super OD for OG.
I think from today Sds only Capelinni-Lanotter could be compare with V-M in interpretation. I dont talk about choreo - maybe other teams have better SDs, i dont know. :) But V-M and D-W couldnt have the same components score in SD for sure. I agree with PJ Kwong and her commments about 4CC at CBC site.

pingu
02-14-2012, 08:44 AM
and what the heck is with that accent of the announcer? isnt this comp in the USA? cant they find a native speaker for it? that's just so sad. i almost thought 4cc was held in russia or asia. just for the heck of it, i speak english as second language but i can certainly do a better job than that.

She's and ISU member, her native language is german but she also speaks english, french, russian and chinese. I doubt you could do a better job than that.

Sahararainfall
02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
IMHO, F-P/M was born for latin dance :D It was one of the best latin dance ever (in 2000), when A-P wasnt so good in dancing programs, like 2000 and 2001 ODs.
And maybe its good they saw this problem and did super OD for OG.
I think from today Sds only Capelinni-Lanotter could be compare with V-M in interpretation. I dont talk about choreo - maybe other teams have better SDs, i dont know. :) But V-M and D-W couldnt have the same components score in SD for sure. I agree with PJ Kwong and her comments about 4CC at CBC site.

Historical question. This year everybody is doing Latin ballroom (samba/rumba) because well, they are mandated to for the SD. It was the OD in 2006 as well right? But again OD so required. Aside from VM last year, who else have done or chosen Latin ballroom (samba/rumba/chachacha or even jive) as the rhythm for their FD? I know the OD from before doesn't really have the restrictions of the SD today and choreographically more free, but still it's different so I'm just curious and want to see for comparison sake (if possible that is). Thanks.

(ETA: But please no Duchesnays (sp). I'm sorry, I don't know how well they are regarded historically, but please not them...)

pani
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I think most skater choose Latin ballroom because of last year V-M FD :P

zilam98
02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Historical question. This year everybody is doing Latin ballroom (samba/rumba) because well, they are mandated to for the SD. It was the OD in 2006 as well right? But again OD so required. Aside from VM last year, who else have done or chosen Latin ballroom (samba/rumba/chachacha or even jive) as the rhythm for their FD? I know the OD from before doesn't really have the restrictions of the SD today and choreographically more free, but still it's different so I'm just curious and want to see for comparison sake (if possible that is). Thanks.

(ETA: But please no Duchesnays (sp). I'm sorry, I don't know how well they are regarded historically, but please not them...)

a/p did a samba fd in 1996

zilam98
02-14-2012, 01:50 PM
She's and ISU member, her native language is german but she also speaks english, french, russian and chinese. I doubt you could do a better job than that.

i may not speak french/russian/chinese, but i certainly wont sound foreign hosting an event in the US. ;)