PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #14 V&M - The Future's so Bright, I Gotta wear Shades

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

zilam98
02-14-2012, 03:30 AM
I found Meryl's body language interesting, turning away from V&M in the beginning, looking like she wanted to get out of there; during the first question she said V&M have 3 lifts and she and charlie have 4 lifts, yet not mentioning that V&M have 1 lift in combination=2lifts seemed a bit puzzling...

it was probably awkward for her to be disappointed at finishing second and not having charlie right there at the moment when she's always used to. usually women are not as jovial about competitions as men are, like with charlie and scott. i also remember how it was between g/g and m/d. sergei and artur were best of friends off-ice, but katia and natalia hardly ever made a nod at each other.

zilam98
02-14-2012, 03:41 AM
I don't read anything into Meryl's comment..she was trying to answer a pretty involved question as quickly as possible and wasn't commenting on the comparative virtues of their two programs..just ways in which any number of programs can differ.

As for her body language , she was probably looking around to see if Charlie would arrive ...

ETA : that sounded like a German accent to me , and this was an international event . Perhaps this woman was an ISU member..and otherwise ,both Canada and the US are populated by people from all over the world. I didn't find her hard to understand.

yes, it is indeed an international competition, but shouldnt the host of the competition use a native speaker to represent the country best? do the hosts use announcers with foreign accents for the olympics just because it's an international competition? i dont think so. i know 4cc is not of the same magnitude as the olympics, but still it goes to show how much effort (or budget) is being made into hosting the event.

bbkenn
02-14-2012, 03:41 AM
it was probably awkward for her to be disappointed at finishing second and not having charlie right there at the moment when she's always used to. usually women are not as jovial about competitions as men are, like with charlie and scott. i also remember how it was between g/g and m/d. sergei and artur were best of friends off-ice, but katia and natalia hardly ever made a nod at each other.

That makes sense. I think you are right about that.

Rafter
02-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Rushed home from my nexus interview to see this and wow wow wow.

When Igor said it would be walk in the park I thought afterwards.... which park!!

Didnt like that neither Marina nor Igor were at the KnC with T&S.

I was dancing around the computer when the scores came out.

I thought it was odd that at least one of Igor or Marina wasn't in the k&c with them. Igor stayed in the k&c with the Shibs when their marks were announced before tessa and scott took the ice, but not one of them could stay with Virtue and moir?

walei
02-14-2012, 03:55 AM
I think they were concerned with Alex he was looking really pale after their FD.

Rafter
02-14-2012, 04:02 AM
D/W normal routine is not having 4 level 3 elements.. They left significant points on the table.. and STILL outscored V/M PCS wise..

Barely out scored Tessa and Scott on pcs. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how close the judges had the pcs marks in the FD. It was a virtual tie, wasn't it? I thought with the event in the USA there could have been a 1-2 pt gap in pcs.

Rafter
02-14-2012, 04:14 AM
Why? D&W lost to V&M on the technical score. If V&M up the ante in their skating at a normal altitude, they'll be fine. I think D&W have peaked, while V&M always get better and better by Worlds. We'll see. I am cautiously optimistic that V&M will win Worlds.

I don't know about Davis and White peaking or not but for me their FD is losing its wow factor that it had at the beginning of the season. I don't know if it's because I've seen it so many times or what but it's not as impressive to me at these last two competitions.

Btw, I thought Kurt Browning made some interesting observations on the CBC coverage last night about Davis and white. He basically implied that they are not using their edges compared to virtue and moir. Meryl in particular does a tremendous amount of little hops and runs and toe pick moves in this program.

Getting back to Tessa and Scott, I hope they can skate the sd cleanly at worlds. It was much better here than at nationals but there were still a couple bobbles. Their rhumba patterns were amazing though. So much speed and power in them and great leg unison.

One negative if virtue and moir win worlds means they probably won't leave Igor and marina. :P

Rafter
02-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Hi, everyone!
Thanks you for all photos and videos!
Did you saw interviews with Marina and Igor?

Haven't seen any quotes but I bet Igor is fuming. :EVILLE:

zilam98
02-14-2012, 04:30 AM
I know some of the ballroom latin has sharp arm movements, but I often find the arms look too stiff and overly stylized. I know when I was learning Rio-style samba I was told that sharp arm movements were a no-no. I was instructed to keep my arm movements smooth and fluid. I don't do rumba but am somewhat familiar with it and have observed that the arm movements vary but can be quite delicate. I have seen Afro-Cuban rumba, and I love how light and relaxed the arms are...you can really see how the whole body works together with the music.

I think that T&S's arm styling sets them apart. They really create shapes with their arms and demonstrate fluidity while maintaining enough tension in their arms and their hold. I love Tessa's arms in particular. You can see her wrists are bent but not unnaturally so. and she has beautiful samba arms, with the right arm lining up with the left hip and the left arm lining up with the right hip (you can see this in the samba basic she does in the beginning). I just think they look so natural.

well, how come top teams in at least year's world dancesport finals still use stiff arms? if the native latin dances call for fluid arms, how come it doesnt translate into the world judging?

sap5
02-14-2012, 05:01 AM
well, how come top teams in at least year's world dancesport finals still use stiff arms? if the native latin dances call for fluid arms, how come it doesnt translate into the world judging?

Because ballroom/dancesport Latin is very different from "native" latin?

zilam98
02-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Because ballroom/dancesport Latin is very different from "native" latin?

the point i was trying to make was that in the world of dancesport, there's an expectation/standard of how dancers are supposed to express the dances, and i thought ice dance judges wanted the dancers/teams to come up with dances that come close to ballroom as possible. so if in dancesport the teams use sharp arm movements, wouldnt that be expected in ice dance as well? not latin on ballet?

i know native latin dances are different from the dancesport ones, but it seems that in dancesport, they dont seem to make it a big deal to make it authentically close to the native dances as possible.

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 05:19 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you are wrong in pointing out that dancesport contestants use stiffer arms...quite the contrary, actually. I also follow dancesport a bit, and this is one of the things I like least about it. I was merely pointing out that there are different ways to use the arms in Latin dances, and I believe Tessa and Scott really attend to this feature of the dances they have selected.

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 05:31 AM
the point i was trying to make was that in the world of dancesport, there's an expectation/standard of how dancers are supposed to express the dances, and i thought ice dance judges wanted the dancers/teams to come up with dances that come close to ballroom as possible. so if in dancesport the teams use sharp arm movements, wouldnt that be expected in ice dance as well? not latin on ballet?

Yes, I do believe that is the expectation...but I would like to think/hope that the judges would be open to a rumba and a samba that capture the essence of some of the indigenous forms of these dances, even if they do not so closely mimic the ballroom versions. This is something I appreciate about P&B--they take us out of the ballroom and onto the beach!
Again, I did not mean to be adversarial in my earlier post, and I apologize if I was.

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 05:45 AM
I found Meryl's body language interesting, turning away from V&M in the beginning, looking like she wanted to get out of there; during the first question she said V&M have 3 lifts and she and charlie have 4 lifts, yet not mentioning that V&M have 1 lift in combination=2lifts seemed a bit puzzling...

I agree with Pratfall and zilam98 in that it was an awkward situation for Meryl to be in, and it was a question that required her to be very concise. I also think that Meryl and Tessa are a bit more reserved than their partners. As PashaFan said, Meryl and Charlie took the loss really well.

I think this result is ideal going into Worlds as it will likely give Tessa and Scott the momentum they were looking for while giving Meryl and Charlie a little push at a crucial time in such a long season. If you ask me, both teams are saving their best for Worlds:)

Subway
02-14-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't know about Davis and White peaking or not but for me their FD is losing its wow factor that it had at the beginning of the season. I don't know if it's because I've seen it so many times or what but it's not as impressive to me at these last two competitions.

I agree with this. I think it needs to be extremely precise and musical in addition to the great speed and attack, and for me, at least, it's losing that balance of verve and precision - it's more undifferentiated speed, speed, speed and losing nuance. It felt sloppier, not as well phrased, although this is relative as they are wonderful skaters.

One negative if virtue and moir win worlds means they probably won't leave Igor and marina. :P Negative for whom? Those two obviously don't agree with fsu about Igor and Marina, all the talk about that is fsu wishful thinking by those who want them to do different choreography regardless, and seized on them coming in second to D/W as the one bright light for the VM fandom that wanted them to leave Canton. They were eager to believe this would motivate VM to do what they wanted them to do anyway. This was all a conversation in only in fans' heads anyway - I don't think it ever entered Tessa and Scott's reality. There are people on fsu who want them to do different choreography even when they're winning, so when they struggle a bit, it becomes leverage to argue that this justifies wanting them to leave. But it's not happening and I personally think they'd be crazy to leave. None of that conversation has to do with how the skaters themselves view their situation, that's pretty obvious.