PDA

View Full Version : Virtue - Moir #14 V&M - The Future's so Bright, I Gotta wear Shades

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sahararainfall
02-12-2012, 07:23 AM
nevermind

LOL! Why did you removed it? For what it's worth, I agree.

ddtpdx
02-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Well, I may not (ever) understand how these ice dance teams are judged by figure skating standards, but dance-wise especially in partnered dancing, unison matters a whole lot to me. I don't need some organization to tell me otherwise.:lol: It's partnered dancing, so I think it's not too much to expect the team not just to be in sync with the music but to be in sync with each other. Harmony plays a part in my personal criteria I guess. Maybe not so much with ISU.:confused:

What you say is common sense. Well, you know what they say, unfortunately, common sense is not common, particularly among those who devised the scoring system. :lol:

iggie
02-12-2012, 07:57 AM
LOL! Why did you removed it? For what it's worth, I agree.

:shuffle:

okay, i'll say it again. i'm disappointed with the camera angles. i feel like i'm seeing moves from the side or behind, not the front, or i'm seeing close ups when full pan out is needed. e.g. why zoom in on tessa's face to begin with you know by now that both she and scott are doing things to start the dance and how they move their bodies is way more important than tessa's expression. by the time you zoom out, that awesome introduction is halfway done. i also didn't get to enjoy the new way they enter into the temptation sequence because of the camera angle.

i didn't enjoy the dance too much, not because of changes or mistakes, but because i don't think the camera angles really displayed the best part of each move.

Bournekraatzfan
02-12-2012, 08:06 AM
also, did they work with a latin dance coach for their sd throughout their training? i wish someone could train them on the attitude of their arms when doing this kind of latin dance, especially tessa. her arm expressions tend to be too soft for latin dance, when latin dances tend to require stiffer attitude on the arms. i do love it when tessa does the shimmy in the beginning. sooo latin!

I know some of the ballroom latin has sharp arm movements, but I often find the arms look too stiff and overly stylized. I know when I was learning Rio-style samba I was told that sharp arm movements were a no-no. I was instructed to keep my arm movements smooth and fluid. I don't do rumba but am somewhat familiar with it and have observed that the arm movements vary but can be quite delicate. I have seen Afro-Cuban rumba, and I love how light and relaxed the arms are...you can really see how the whole body works together with the music.

I think that T&S's arm styling sets them apart. They really create shapes with their arms and demonstrate fluidity while maintaining enough tension in their arms and their hold. I love Tessa's arms in particular. You can see her wrists are bent but not unnaturally so. and she has beautiful samba arms, with the right arm lining up with the left hip and the left arm lining up with the right hip (you can see this in the samba basic she does in the beginning). I just think they look so natural.

Sahararainfall
02-12-2012, 08:13 AM
:shuffle:

okay, i'll say it again. i'm disappointed with the camera angles. i feel like i'm seeing moves from the side or behind, not the front, or i'm seeing close ups when full pan out is needed. e.g. why zoom in on tessa's face to begin with you know by now that both she and scott are doing things to start the dance and how they move their bodies is way more important than tessa's expression. by the time you zoom out, that awesome introduction is halfway done. i also didn't get to enjoy the new way they enter into the temptation sequence because of the camera angle.

i didn't enjoy the dance too much, not because of changes or mistakes, but because i don't think the camera angles really displayed the best part of each move.

As I said, didn't like it either. That was one horrible camerawork. Bad angles and point of views, abrupt zoom in zoom out, cuts, panning etc. I didn't want to comment because I thought perhaps there might be other views. Not that I don't appreciate being able to watch it, don't get me wrong. :-)

My favorite camerawork is TEB. It was close to the action but framed very well. Smooth panning. Speed seems well translated and every movement well captured. The revised opening sequence was also completely captured there. At the GPF too (I think where they had the sharpest opening yet) except for a brief camera cut to Scott's face.

What you say is common sense. Well, you know what they say, unfortunately, common sense is not common, particularly among those who devised the scoring system. :lol:

Well, Kris at fanforum explained how that (twizzle mistake in unison vs mistake in technique) was reflected in the score at this particular competition, which I guess is good. But I still feel that VM gets deducted more for mistakes like these than DW does. Speed does mask a lot of things. That's why I like browsing at well-timed well-captured pics (of all dancers in general). Videos are nice, but there is something about great photos, the way it freezes and focuses on a millisecond of time without the sometimes sensory overload you get with videos. The way it captures a dancer or dancers and the human body in it's most graceful, synchronized form. TS have a lot pics like these. (PB is my next favorite when it comes to pics, but not necessarily while in motion/dancing. I don't now why. )

Bournekraatzfan
02-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Video (SD) (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xokk0a_tessa-virtue-scott-moir-4yy-2012-sd_sport)

:)

Thank you so much! I had to run errands during the Radio Canada stream and was so disappointed to have missed their SD.

great performance! I know they had a few problems, but this is definitely an improvement over nationals, especially in terms of performance. I really felt the energy (in spite of the altitude). I would have given them more of an edge in PCS (definitely would have given them the highest SS mark, and would have given them more of an edge in IN). and btw, is judge #3 for real? marks in the 7s? Anyways, I hope they are comfortable with the choreo so that they can just drill those rumba sequences. I have to say, though, I really do not like the music cut of Mujer Latina, but I am delighted to see the ending with the underarm turns back! I really enjoyed this performance, and was happy to see them smiling at the end.

pani
02-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Funny, but they look faster, then D-W at this video :)
They did middle part better with this transitions and "live' its hard to notice something with Tessa twizzles. Echn pannel are very professional ;)
And Shibs made really big improvement. Yerstaday W-P didnt look so great after them.

Sahararainfall
02-12-2012, 08:32 AM
...I have to say, though, I really do not like the music cut of Mujer Latina, but I am delighted to see the ending with the underarm turns back! I really enjoyed this performance, and was happy to see them smiling at the end.

Yes, that cut could take some getting use to, but I'm way too glad to have the ice dance version of the potstirrer trick back . Wohoo!
(I wonder if they could do it off ice though, just like this (Heidi and Benjie Black mambo season 2 SYTYCD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZc0pgjEhUA) Around 00:14 :)

Bournekraatzfan
02-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Ugh I really don't like the layout of the SD. I really like the transition into the temptation part, but I don't like how frantic the end seems especially with the shitty music cuts at the end. Their old SD wasn't perfect, but it was still better. I think that if they had kept the old SD and changed the lift, they would have been better off.

I know, I am not crazy about the changes either, and wish they had kept the old SD and just changed the straight line lift. I did, however, enjoy today's performance, and fear that more changes at this point in the season could really throw them off at worlds. For this reason, I hope they stick with what they have an just work on squeezing every point out of it.

I can't wait for the FD tm!

ddtpdx
02-12-2012, 08:38 AM
I know, I am not crazy about the changes either, and wish they had kept the old SD and just changed the straight line lift. I did, however, enjoy today's performance, and fear that more changes at this point in the season could really throw them off at worlds. For this reason, I hope they stick with what they have an just work on squeezing every point out of it.

I agree. Don't like the music and frantic ending but no more tinkering (no matter what we or anyone else says)...they need to just practice to the point that it's totally automatic! I think that is the key.

pani
02-12-2012, 08:41 AM
I agree. Don't like the music and frantic ending but no more tinkering (no matter what we or anyone else says)...they need to just practice to the point that it's totally automatic! I think that is the key.

I think they still uncomfartable with step sequence. Hope it will work better at WCh. But they really had passion

pani
02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I found one thing really interesting - rhumba pattern levels.
On wrong edge from ONE of the patners cost 1,5 and overall - 3 points in SD. Is this fair? Dont know. I can understand overall 1,5 points for all pattern (plus GOE), but not for one wrong adge. Maybe i am wrong. But Tobais and Coomes- this girls reive better score for pattern, then Tessa.

VarBar
02-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I too prefered the old SD version but it seems that the new one is working better for the judges because they finally got a bit higher transitions mark than their rivals and it's the components scores we've been most worried about all season long from what I recall.

V/M's first and second set of twizzles were definitely not their best, if you play them in very slow motion, you can notice that their unison is far from perfect but yeah, they seem to have been punished more severly than others on this element.

On a more frivolous note, they both looked stunningly gorgeous in the Kiss and Cry while waiting for the marks and Tessa in her new dress...I just want to eat her up.:lol:

clarie
02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I think they still uncomfartable with step sequence. Hope it will work better at WCh. But they really had passion

Love the typo Pani.....I would use that one to describe Cynthia Phaneuf last night. :lol:

Thanks for posting the SD. I will be watching that several times today. I agree with the camera work. I wish they would leave the face shots alone when the body is emoting.

Judy
02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks for this :D

The video is jerky for me .. anyone else?