PDA

View Full Version : Helsinki

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Finnice
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Skatak, I feel so unhappy to miss you, you in freezing Helsinki and me in rainy Taipei, +11 and the lantern fest.

The medal coffee to Kiira will be served during the Nordics, or that is what I have heard.

Cloudberry is lakka/hilla/suomuurain in Finnish, it has three different names depending which part of Finland you came from.

I hope you can still enjoy Helsinki, with the freezing cold and without me:drama:

matti
02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Cloudberry is lakka/hilla/suomuurain in Finnish, it has three different names depending which part of Finland you came from.
And even a fourth one: valokki... :) Dictionary says plaquebière ou chicoute en francais...

skatak
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
just in short : well at least it really feels like Winter ! the true, real, big one :D

the Lapland cheese cake was like you linked to. It had white sauce/cream with it and cinnamon on top.

now the week end starts ! time to go discover Helsinki :)

skatak
02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
switched hotel. another 'touristic' sauna. this time I was not alone and I could feel the difference ! I liked the hot dry warmth, but the finnish guys made it the proper way I guess, flushing water very often. it's another feeling... so hot !
how are you supposed to feel after a sauna (do you do it every day?) ? relax, fit, full of energy ? maybe it was because of the last long two days, but I felt rather tired. will sleep well tonight !

too lazy to find a proper restaurant at 10pm. still tried an hamburger with omelette and black bread at the bus station. will try better tomorrow !

And I have tried a multi-combo version for clothes : quad-triple. 4 on top (+vest), 3 for the legs. it rather works :)

Nekatiivi
02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
switched hotel. another 'touristic' sauna. this time I was not alone and I could feel the difference ! I liked the hot dry warmth, but the finnish guys made it the proper way I guess, flushing water very often. it's another feeling... so hot !
how are you supposed to feel after a sauna (do you do it every day?) ? relax, fit, full of energy ? maybe it was because of the last long two days, but I felt rather tired. will sleep well tonight !

I think the amounth of water comes down to personal testes too... There is no right answer to that! All saunas are not the same either. What suits one sauna, might not suit the other.

You definitely feel very tired after sauna. I think most Finns do sauna once a week, but some do it every day, some never. I personally feel that sauna makes me so tired that there is no way I could do it every day!

allezfred
02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
I think the amounth of water comes down to personal testes too

:eek:

;)

Nekatiivi
02-04-2012, 07:50 AM
:eek:

;)

Ups... :rofl::rofl::rofl::slinkaway

cholla
02-04-2012, 11:01 AM
which one of us is winning the competition of lower temperature ? seems it stuck to -20°C all day...
You win. Only - 16°C here.

Don't know how cloudberry translates in French but it's to dye for.
To dye ? It made you change the color of your hair ? ;) Cloudberry = mûre jaune ou mûre arctique (plaquebière or chicouté in Quebec). In Swedish : hjortron. It was my fave dessert food the summer I spent in Abisko :swoon:

Hanna
02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Is it this you ate? If it made a creaking sound when chewing, then it probably was...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leip%C3%A4juusto

Ah this? I love it. :swoon: However I would never call it cheese cake, just cheese. DId they call it cheese cake somewhere? :lol: IMO there's nothing cakey about so if you thought so then I can understand why you thought it was interesting. To me it's really just plain (a type of) cheese. And very yummy. :swoon:

As are cloudberries. :swoon: They are quite expensive though because they only grow on certain types of swamp in a few parts of Finland.

Oh, and after sauna you definitely feel very relaxed and tired and ready to go to sleep. :P

Last thing - this thread is proof that Finns get very excited when someone is showing even a little bit of interest in our small country. Nearly every Finnish FSUer has posted. :rofl:

allezfred
02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Speaking of Finnish things, I just found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gtMY_27PTc). :rofl:

laguska
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Poor skatak, you got to experience maybe the worst possible Finnish winter weather yesterday! Fortunately today has been quite nice and sunny.

Finns are pretty used to bad weather conditions during wintertime, but yesterday was something different IMO. The capital city area traffic was jammed due to snow storm & slippery roads and there were unusual amount of car accidents (several hundreds). Check this out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTUHkFO95M&feature=player_embedded).

Finnice
02-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Speaking of Finnish things, I just found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gtMY_27PTc). :rofl:

Haha (like everyone says here in Taipei), just brought some salmiakki to the taiwanese people. "It is not candy!" they protested furiously.:cold:

Hanna
02-04-2012, 07:04 PM

:lol:

To this day I can NOT understand why foreigners always have that same reaction to salmiakki. :drama: The same thing happened in the US last spring - everyone who tried it just spat it out. :eek: You unsophisticated people! It REALLY is good. :swoon: Even my 5 and 3-year-old niece and nephew would say so. :drama: I'm sure nearly every Finn would say so.

milanessa
02-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Saw this in the comment section of Urban Dictionary.

Salty form of licorice from Finland that is flavored with the taste of burning tires and distilled death. :lol:

skatak
02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
last post from Finland, right from the aiport. clean and with wifi, that's it !
so, downgraded my clothes combo from 4-3-2 to 2-2, and that's more than enough. Kept a 2 in case Paris is still freezing.

Sorry guys, but Frazer cafe was closing, and Esplanad Cafe is nice (got the cinnamon roll, quite big and a bit dry, not so used to rolls) but it does not match La Glace and its unbelievable gateaux in Copehnaguen ! ;-)

Very nice moments in the rock church. Awesome, very peacefull. Had lots of fun then walking on the frozen sea. Excellent ! Then 3T / 3B (THAT really looks like a combo lol) to go back to town, to actually see the white cathedral out of the blue sky (rather than guessing where it was with the snowy sky). No much more sculpted lanterns from yesterday, but a free glogg was more than welcomed :)

Tried the Zeltor with its tractors inside, big portions. Last stop at the Market to buy some poro and italiensk salad (hoping it will make it through ok). Didn't find couldberry jam, but bought some at the airport (at an indecent price, that is).

Overall quite tired from the last days, but happy I could spend some free time in Finland, yaayyyy !
Now I'll have to come back to have the chance the finally meet some finnish FSUer :D

It still would not try to speak finnish, it would be to funnish ;)