PDA

View Full Version : A delightful Michelle Kwan quote

krenseby
01-28-2012, 05:22 AM
In a recent IceNetwork article about Michelle Kwan on the occasion of her induction to the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120125&content_id=26463686&vkey=ice_news), I stumbled upon a section that made me see Michelle Kwan in a new light:

But she can't resist offering young skaters a few pointers, especially when she stops by her family's rink, the East West Ice Palace in Artesia, Calif., where Karen and brother-in-law Peter Oppegard are coaches.

"It's so exciting for me every time I go back to East West and see these girls climbing up the ranks," Kwan said. "I'm watching them grow up..."

Now imagine how awesome it must be for a young skater training at East West Ice Palace to have Michelle Kwan unexpectedly drop by to give you some tips on your skating.

By the way, I am sure Michelle Kwan isn't the only skater that does this sort of thing. I don't mean to single her out as someone extraordinarily helpful or anything. But it's still great to know that she is willing to lend a hand to young skaters. (Do you know of anyone else who doesn't formally coach but is happy to occasionally help out younger skaters?)

Garden Kitty
01-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Brian Boitano doesn't officially coach (at least not that I know of), but he has mentored a lot of skaters (and volunteers with local kids).