PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 US assignments speculation

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Sylvia
01-26-2012, 06:30 PM
I've excerpted part of 5Ali3's post above and cross-posted it in the Gracie Gold thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3449025#post3449025

Sylvia posted a link to an article in the US Nationals forum with quotes from Denney/Frazier(going senior next year) and Simpson/Blackmer(staying junior).

Not sure if that means D/F will have another go at the JGP or try for the Senior GP.
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3448429&postcount=162
For those who don't have access to Kiss and Cry, this is what I posted:

This Junior Pairs FS article [at Golden Skate] mentions that Denney/Frazier "are looking forward to competing on the senior level next season" [nationally, I assume], while Simpson is quoted as saying "We [she and Blackmer] are staying junior... We already decided before coming here."
ETA: Caitlin Belt/Michael Johnson (5th in Junior Pairs at Easterns; 4th of 5 teams at the Youth Olympics) are also JGP age-eligible in pairs.

Triple Butz
01-26-2012, 07:20 PM
My impression is that whatever fan hype she is getting is nothing compared to what Caroline Zhang got when she was a prepubescent junior with a wonky lutz, flip, and axel.

Gold doesn't have the technique problems Zhang had, and, at her age, she's unlikely to go through another major growth spurt.

I agree the CZ hype was just as over the top, but for me the comparison doesn't quite work for many reasons. 1)The ISU had not yet come up with the "e" (and later "!") marks for erroneous jump take-offs when Zhang blew away the junior field. 2)UR calls began to get more and more severe as she entered senior competitions 3)We had 3 spots and were comfortable 4)We had a recent World Champ as a team member and very few predicted she would fall so far and so quickly. 5)Zhang was younger and we figured she had two years to fix her juniorish qualities while she skated in the shadow of Meissner. (None of which happened of course ;))

It seems most of us US fans are DESPERATE for a star and, so far, Gold is checking all of the right boxes to score well in this current system. I'm certainly in no rush to hype her, but you can't totally ignore the prospects. I assume she'll go to Jr Worlds and let's see how she handles herself there.

BigB08822
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I was one of the people asking if they could send her to Senior Worlds but I was only being half serious. Besides, that isn't a comment about Gold being so good that I think she can win so much as "can we please send someone to Worlds who is consistent and lands jumps so we may actually regain 3 spots!" I think a lot of her hype is just people having had enough of US ladies skating being 2nd rate and without Gold it looks like we will continue to be on the outside looking in while Japan and Russia take over.

mysticchic
01-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Well Gracie's JGP score is good enough for 9th in ISU's season's best. So depending on what the criteria is for GP invitiations, and her placing at Jr Worlds (if she is picked), she could get 2 assignments for the GP next year. But let's see how the Sr ladie's do! Alissa might surpise everyone this week!

UDelpairs2012
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
If Gracie Gold medals at Jr Worlds they should send her to worlds....FSU please dont kill me

Jammers
01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
No lets not burn out this poor girl before she's even had a chance to skate a year in the Senior ranks.

Sylvia
01-28-2012, 11:28 PM
If Gracie Gold medals at Jr Worlds they should send her to worlds....FSU please dont kill me
If you repost this in the Gracie Gold thread in GSD I will reply to you there ;): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81717

As always someone is going to tell me its too early to start this thread but we have results and that means time to speculate on what will happen with next season!
haribobo, this is what you get when you start a speculation thread for next season too early! :lol: :D

demetriosj
01-29-2012, 02:28 AM
[ However, I also sense some desperation that wasn't present five years ago I also sense a switch from, "if she's this good at 12, imagine what she'll be like at 16!" to "yeah, she's this good at 12, but can she keep those triples/triples past puberty?"

Yes. Used to be the attitude was you were considered "over-the-hill" if you were a new senior at age 16. Media types like Christine Brennan were searching for the 13 year olds............

her grace
01-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Speculations

Pairs
This is easy (before they all break up): Denney, H./Frazier, Simpson/Blackmer, Calalang/Sidhu, Pfund/Reiss, Aaron/Settlage, and Zaitsev/Stevens. Even though Denney/Frazier plan to move up to senior domestically, I see no advantage to moving up to senior internationally. Their world ranking and season best is quite low and they haven't had any junior international success to speak of. Simpson/Blackmer have stated they plan to remain junior domestically, so it follows that they'll stay junior internationally even with their medal at the JGP Final this year.

Ice Dance
Aldridge/Eaton, McNamara/Carpenter (so excited for them to be old enough!), Parsons/Parsons, Heritage/Fast, Hawayek/Bramante, and whoever does well at Lake Placid.

Men
It will be interesting to find out what Brown and Farris want to do. Brown's already won the JGP Final, but without a triple axel, he won't be competitive as a senior. Farris has the skills to compete with the senior men, but isn't all that consistent. If they do well at junior worlds, I think it's more likely that they'll move up. If not, we shall see. Other men who should be considered for JGP spots: Chen, Choate, Kaugars, Yostanto, Scheltiech, Howe, and Shum.

Ladies
I expect Gold and Lam to move up to seniors next season. Probably Cesario will, too. So I would give assignments to Cain, Miller, Long, Bell, Wang, Baga, Jiang, and Keiser. If Hicks is recovered in time, she could displace one of the above girls after summer monitoring. I wouldn't consider any of the novices since the top two are too young and there's enough depth in the higher, harder divisions to handily fill out a JGP roster.

pinky166
01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Speculations

Pairs
This is easy (before they all break up): Denney, H./Frazier, Simpson/Blackmer, Calalang/Sidhu, Pfund/Reiss, Aaron/Settlage, and Zaitsev/Stevens. Even though Denney/Frazier plan to move up to senior domestically, I see no advantage to moving up to senior internationally. Their world ranking and season best is quite low and they haven't had any junior international success to speak of. Simpson/Blackmer have stated they plan to remain junior domestically, so it follows that they'll stay junior internationally even with their medal at the JGP Final this year.

Ice Dance
Aldridge/Eaton, McNamara/Carpenter (so excited for them to be old enough!), Parsons/Parsons, Heritage/Fast, Hawayek/Bramante, and whoever does well at Lake Placid.

Men
It will be interesting to find out what Brown and Farris want to do. Brown's already won the JGP Final, but without a triple axel, he won't be competitive as a senior. Farris has the skills to compete with the senior men, but isn't all that consistent. If they do well at junior worlds, I think it's more likely that they'll move up. If not, we shall see. Other men who should be considered for JGP spots: Chen, Choate, Kaugars, Yostanto, Scheltiech, Howe, and Shum.

Ladies
I expect Gold and Lam to move up to seniors next season. Probably Cesario will, too. So I would give assignments to Cain, Miller, Long, Bell, Wang, Baga, Jiang, and Keiser. If Hicks is recovered in time, she could displace one of the above girls after summer monitoring. I wouldn't consider any of the novices since the top two are too young and there's enough depth in the higher, harder divisions to handily fill out a JGP roster.

Does Warren age out of juniors after this season? If not I assume he'd do JGP again as he isn't going to JW and therefore won't have another shot to boost his SB. Maybe he can get a senior B or two though.

Baga has already done 2 seasons on the JGP, and that doesn't include this season, I assume she'll move up to seniors and likely get a senior B or two, or maybe if she continues to skate well she could get the host spot at SA.

Also do Duarte/Grafton age out of juniors after this season? I feel like they might. In any event, they probably should move up to seniors, if they can get a decent SB at JW, then they might be able to get 1 GP and if not, they will be in the mix for senior Bs and maybe the SA host spot if they continue to skate well.

Sylvia
01-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Warren and Duarte/Grafton age out of ISU Junior after this season (ETA: as well as Dolensky, Bonacorsi/Mager and the Gamelin twins in dance among the JGP competitors this season).

BTW, it's pretty rare for a skater to get a "senior B or two" with the limited number of Senior B slots these days. 7 men, 3 ladies, 6 pairs, and 7 dance teams were assigned this season, for example, and only Carriere received 2 this season and he didn't have a GP (ETA: ditto for 4 of the men and 1 of the dance teams).

AFAIK the ISP skaters (JGP age-eligible ones) usually are asked if they prefer to compete junior or senior (i.e., Cesario this season), but there is no guarantee that they will receive an assignment.

ETA: I'm hoping Shotaro Omori will be considered for the ISP.

Jammers
01-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Speculations

Pairs

Ice Dance

Men

Ladies

I can't see Jason Brown staying a Junior for another year. I'm sure he'll be doing his triple sxel next season. He was going to at least one at Nats but hurt his ankle.

pinky166
01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I can't see Jason Brown staying a Junior for another year. I'm sure he'll be doing his triple sxel next season. He was going to at least one at Nats but hurt his ankle.

I think Jason and Josh's decisions regarding JGP vs. GP will depend on how both boys do at JW. If they can medal (which IMO they both have a good shot at), I tend to think both will move up, if they don't fair as well, then it's probably more up in the air. Either boy could potentially even win, though Han Yan is very strong.

pinky166
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Also isn't there going to be a new senior B next season? (Glacier Falls, or Thornhill? Maybe both?). For the men senior B spots always seem to be limited but I think it's feasible that pairs and ladies could be assigned to two, I mean the USFS didn't even send any ladies to Finlandia this season...

Sylvia
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for reminding me that USFS is planning to host a new Senior B in late summer or fall of this year -- thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82267