PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Pairs 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The Accordion
03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Whoa, Ray Schultz is on icepartnersearch. :eek: No sign of Natasha. Anyone have more info about this split?

Oh! I hope she keeps doing pairs - I think she is terrific!

JasperBoy
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
OMG Maybe Natasha took my advice and partnered with Mervin Tran!

flowerpower
03-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Perhaps she'll concentrate on singles for a while. No need to rush immediately into another partnership. She has a lot of potential and needs the right match.

julieann
03-11-2012, 03:15 AM
OMG Maybe Natasha took my advice and partnered with Mervin Tran!

Did I miss something? He already has a partner.

JasperBoy
03-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Did I miss something? He already has a partner.

Yes, I know. But I am on a crusade to repatriate Mervin and have him skate for Canada with a Canadian partner. That way he will be able to go to the Sochi Olympics.

julieann
03-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Yes, I know. But I am on a crusade to Mervin repatriate and have him skate for Canada with a Canadian partner. That way he will be able to go to the Sochi Olympics.

So you want to seperate him from a partner that he does well with to start over with someone who is new and unproven to go to one competition...:scream:

haribobo
03-11-2012, 01:45 PM
MTMs best is capable of a top ten finish at Worlds and D/W's isn't even if the team skated better than at Canadians. And let's face it, that's unlikely to happen because Dube tends to peak at Canadians. D/W doesn't have the content for a top ten finish at Worlds, even clean. If MTM had had as little content as D/W they might have faired better at Canadians.

D/W can and probably will finish in the top 10 at Worlds, if they skate better than at 4CC, which was a pretty off competition for them. Dube has never skated with Wolfe at Worlds before (obviously) so you can't cite what she did with Davison as a pattern that in any way applies to this situation. MT/M coulda woulda shoulda beaten D/W at Nationals. But they didn't so I really don't see why some are so up in arms over D/W going to Worlds. They are a good team. MT/M had every chance to skate well at Nationals as much as the next team but it didn't happen, and they still were looking at probably 6-9th place at Worlds given their GP skates anyway, so I'm not sure it makes much difference.

grandma
03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, I know. But I am on a crusade to repatriate Mervin and have him skate for Canada with a Canadian partner. That way he will be able to go to the Sochi Olympics.

sounds good, but is he tall enough for Natascha? As Schultz is also very small for a male pair skater, and this might be the reason for the split:rolleyes:

JasperBoy
03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
So you want to seperate him from a partner that he does well with to start over with someone who is new and unproven to go to one competition...:scream:

Well, I think they would have to skate at few competitions before being chosen for the Olympic team. If Mervin has to sit out a year, he needs to start now.

This is just my personal crusade. Mervin's a good prairie boy who should be on our team, IMHO.

NorthernDancers
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
D/W can and probably will finish in the top 10 at Worlds, if they skate better than at 4CC, which was a pretty off competition for them. Dube has never skated with Wolfe at Worlds before (obviously) so you can't cite what she did with Davison as a pattern that in any way applies to this situation. MT/M coulda woulda shoulda beaten D/W at Nationals. But they didn't so I really don't see why some are so up in arms over D/W going to Worlds. They are a good team. MT/M had every chance to skate well at Nationals as much as the next team but it didn't happen, and they still were looking at probably 6-9th place at Worlds given their GP skates anyway, so I'm not sure it makes much difference.

My issue is that Skate Canada has taken 2 opposite approaches to selection of the world team. With the ladies, they are obsessed with making sure they send the person most likely to win 2 spots to Worlds next year. By questioning Lacoste's results all season, ordering a skate-off and so on, Lacoste is not going to world's with a ringing endorsement from her home federation. It's like she's the choice of last result. And she is this year's Canadian champion for goodness sake. And the reality is that it is extremely unlikely ANY Canadian lady will finish top 10 this year. There was no reason for this bout of indecision by Skate Canada.

The same goal is not applied to pairs. Here the point is to only look at Nationals results. If they looked at the whole season, like they did with ladies, MT/M would be the choice. Nationals would be treated like an anomaly and the there would be no question about who goes where. If it's about securing maximum number of spots for next year, MT/M are the best choice right now. D/W are a new team who have not achieved internationally yet. Their programs do not have the difficulty yet of other world teams, and they do not yet have the quality in their pair skills. By rushing them to the international stage too soon, Skate Canada may even be harming them for the future. Dube was once 3rd in the world. Now they are unlikely to crack the top 10 at this world's. That's not a good message internationally. It's quite possible there wouldn't be 3 spots anyway. It didn't happen last year. But at least we'd have the best chance.

We need some consistency and transparency: either Skate Canada makes selection to 4CC and world's based only on Nationals results, or they look at the season and make choices for best likely prospects and future spots. They need a clear, consistent process.

haribobo
03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
By rushing them to the international stage too soon, Skate Canada may even be harming them for the future. Dube was once 3rd in the world. Now they are unlikely to crack the top 10 at this world's. That's not a good message internationally.

While I do think the skateoff was pretty unnecessary, IMO the reason they did it is because Lacoste really did not skate very well at Nationals to give them confidence that she was the right pick for champion and Worlds spot, she did do *just* enough to win, but I wouldn't be confident sending that kind of skating to Worlds. I think they were hoping for someone to come out at 4CC and totally nail it to make a very clear choice, but instead what they got was both Lacoste and Phaneuf popping a ton of jumps, and Najarro even worse. So the only thing it kind of helped prove is that Phaneuf is really blowing it in a very consistent way this year, and that Lacoste is basically the same so there's really no good choice.

With pairs, like them or not, Dube/Wolfe gave a very good performance at Nationals that is worthy of Worlds top 10. Whether they repeat that at Worlds is up to them, but there's no reason they shouldn't have a shot. If D/W, MT/M, and L/S all imploded at Nationals, there'd probably be a skateoff for the 2nd spot too. But D/W skated well so they earned it. I don't see D/W being rushed to Worlds before they are ready- if they weren't ready, they wouldn't have been able to beat L/S at Nationals regardless of MT/M blowing up. There's no reason that D/W couldn't make top 10 at Worlds, but let's see what happens.

As for worrying about "messages" to be sending by a low Worlds finish, that's a ridiculous reason not to send someone who is otherwise qualified. I think everyone is aware that skaters have good and bad competitions. Ashley Wagner was still able to win 4CC even though she didn't beat Mao Asada earlier this year, and Marley/Brubaker still made the podium even though they blew up at Skate America. Even if D/W finish 20th at Worlds, they'll still be able to compete for medals on the GP series next year if they show up improved.

julieann
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Well, I think they would have to skate at few competitions before being chosen for the Olympic team. If Mervin has to sit out a year, he needs to start now.

This is just my personal crusade. Mervin's a good prairie boy who should be on our team, IMHO.

My point was the Olympics is only one competition (maybe two) out of an entire skating career, if they even get to go, so why jeopardize the partner he has now just for that? It seems like a silly decision-besides he's 21, it's sometimes best to just continue on course instead of starting over. No matter what country it's for...at least he's skating. :shuffle:

Habs
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Perhaps she'll concentrate on singles for a while. No need to rush immediately into another partnership. She has a lot of potential and needs the right match.

My very reliable :sekret: told me awhile ago that Natasha has always wanted to to concentrate on singles (apparently she doesn't like sharing the spotlight with a partner ;) ), and that she picked up pairs on the side.

mag
03-12-2012, 12:26 AM
My very reliable :sekret: told me awhile ago that Natasha has always wanted to to concentrate on singles (apparently she doesn't like sharing the spotlight with a partner ;) ), and that she picked up pairs on the side.

I heard the same thing. I think the pairs thing was just for fun and then they had some success early on. I never got the impression it was her main goal. By the way, Natasha is very very tiny. I would say she is barely 5 feet, if that. Anyone who is too small a partner for Natasha is too small for pairs, period.

Habs
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
By the way, Natasha is very very tiny. I would say she is barely 5 feet, if that. Anyone who is too small a partner for Natasha is too small for pairs, period.

She's 4'10"