PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Pairs 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Subway
08-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks geoskate.

Speaking of posting record, :D, I've not been a big fan of the new team of Dube/Wolfe, but they were scheduled to compete at both Liberty and Quebec and didn't. If they were rostered for these comps some time ago, are there any stories or rumors that in the interim they decided to go outside or away for additional coaching, a la Dube/Davison before his injury? Annie still being the primary coach? If they made a late decision to do that, that would account for not competing at these summer competitions. Although he's still green to the senior scene, it makes sense to do that since they're doing the GPS and pairs is increasingly competitive.

Ziggy
08-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Whilst Duhamel/Radford's SP is creative and very difficult, I am worried because the issues that have been holding them back so far seem to be still present.

Their basics aren't great and they lack style and expression.

Duhamel's posture and lines have improved already and hopefully that will continue but if I was on their coaching team, I'd be pushing for lessons with a performance skills coach, mimes and dance coaches.

They have the elements and they have the attack, they just need more style, refinement in their movement and stronger expression.

Sylvia
08-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Scroll down to read about a recent phone chat with Moore-Towers/Moscovitch: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120817&content_id=36856292&vkey=ice_news

Rafter
08-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Very strong on the jumps but lifts need work. Some of them were slow and tentative.

I'm not sure why you would expect MT&M to be in peak form/condition in July/August?

Ziggy
08-19-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure why you would expect MT&M to be in peak form/condition in July/August?

I'm not sure why you think that I expect MT&M to be in peak form/condition in July/August?

skaters
09-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Canadian pairs seem to be very strong this year. Let's hope they all keep it up.

~tapdancer~
09-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Canadian pairs followed the lead of the Canadian dancers at the SLC comp...gold and silver!

MT/M got the gold with a somewhat flawed FS...missed two of their lifts. Jumps were solid, though. L/S have a beautiful, interesting program with amazing lifts. Their sbs double axels look better this year though still not without flaw. Paige missed her triple jump in both the programs but hopefully she'll get it back!

Both teams look so matured, just getting better and better. They are my pick for Canada's top two, for sure.

yfbg722
09-17-2012, 03:31 AM
Canadian pairs followed the lead of the Canadian dancers at the SLC comp...gold and silver!

MT/M got the gold with a somewhat flawed FS...missed two of their lifts. Jumps were solid, though. L/S have a beautiful, interesting program with amazing lifts. Their sbs double axels look better this year though still not without flaw. Paige missed her triple jump in both the programs but hopefully she'll get it back!

Both teams look so matured, just getting better and better. They are my pick for Canada's top two, for sure.

You're forgetting the current champions, Duhamel/Radford. They will almost certainly be ahead of L/S, as much as I love them, and may well best MT/M again too. It will be interesting to see how all these teams score on the Grand Prix series.

~tapdancer~
09-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Wasn't forgetting D/R. That's why I said MT/M and L/S are my pick for top two...because they are my preference. Whether they will be or not remains to be seen. :)

shutterbug
09-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Paige missed her triple jump in both the programs but hopefully she'll get it back!

Are they still attempting the 1ft footwork sequence into the sbs jumps? Watching the videos from Indy, I was at a bit of a loss to understand why they would try to add difficulty to an element that Paige already struggles with. :wall:

It’s certainly going to be an interesting battle for the Canadian title this season. Very likely MT/M and D/R will be the top 2, but who knows? Hard to believe, but in practice at nats in Moncton MT/M were skating at about the same level they are now. Never would have guessed that nerves would get the better of them to the point that they would end up in 4th. Will the same thing happen to D/R this season now that they’re the defending Canadian champions? Doubtful, as Meagan is a pretty seasoned competitor. Realistically, the only way I can see L/S grabbing a spot on the world team is if MT/M or D/R have a meltdown. Love them to bits, but they just don’t have the jumps to keep pace. Really a shame we don’t have three spots for Worlds.

Speaking of not having 3 spots for Worlds, any word on the status of D/W for SA? It’s hard to imagine how they’ll be ready to compete when they weren’t able to even show their programs at the High Performance Camp.

flowerpower
09-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Speaking of not having 3 spots for Worlds, any word on the status of D/W for SA? It’s hard to imagine how they’ll be ready to compete when they weren’t able to even show their programs at the High Performance Camp.

Speaking of not having 3 spots? Okaaay.....

According to this article http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/autres-sports/patinage-artistique/201209/06/01-4571521-la-carriere-de-cynthia-phaneuf-compromise.php, an injury to Dube's ankle has slowed down their preparation for the season. SC will be checking in with them weekly to assess their readiness for their Grand Prix assignments. Skate America is looking very doubtful at this point, surely.

NorthernDancers
09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
As much as I like Dube, it was really an unfair situation for Skate Canada to put unrealistic expectations on this new team by sending them to Worlds before they are ready. If Skate Canada had sent the Canadian champs, D/R, and then MT/M based on their season's work instead of just Nationals, Canada would more than likely have 3 spots to worlds.

I agree that barring any nasty meltdowns, gold and silver are looking solid. I really like L/S, but they struggle with technical marks. Maybe they should spend some time with some specific technical coaches, or even perhaps KW from time to time to get a different perspective.

julieann
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
As much as I like Dube, it was really an unfair situation for Skate Canada to put unrealistic expectations on this new team by sending them to Worlds before they are ready. If Skate Canada had sent the Canadian champs, D/R, and then MT/M based on their season's work instead of just Nationals, Canada would more than likely have 3 spots to worlds.

This will be debated about until for eternity. D/W earned their spot at worlds, MT/M could have went but they messed it up. So this year they are working harder than ever. If they did go they could have easily had another meltdown and ended up in 9th or 11th, as it was they probably would have ended up behind D/C anyway. To me L/S have no spark, there is nothing special to them at all that sets them apart from the rest even when they do land their elements, that's what they need to work on; more than anything else.

shutterbug
09-22-2012, 02:20 AM
When dream teams come true: Kitchener-Waterloo Skating club finds what they hope are perfect combinations (http://www.therecord.com/sports/article/802111--when-dream-teams-come-true)

And so, Kris Wirtz had to wait for the stars to align before the pairs skaters he most wanted to unite in his dreams, established juniors Brittany Jones and Ian Beharry, were both ready, willing and available.

“But if I had to take people and put them together, these are the ones I would have.

Also:

Jones and Beharry, a 20-year-old Guelph resident, both previously won national junior titles with different partners. They will compete on the Junior Grand Prix circuit this season.

But they will take to the senior stage at the Canadian championships in Mississauga in January.

Well, thank gawd for that. What number does this bring us up to in the senior ranks at nats? 6 possibly 7 teams?

julieann
09-22-2012, 02:45 AM
When dream teams come true: Kitchener-Waterloo Skating club finds what they hope are perfect combinations (http://www.therecord.com/sports/article/802111--when-dream-teams-come-true)

In the world of figure skating, North American dream teams are assembled more by luck than by a coach’s decree.

This isn’t Russia or China where iron-fisted coaches often handpick their charges, matching skaters with whomever the instructor chooses no matter how incompatible the personalities.

:lol: I think there are a lot of Russian coaches and skaters who would disagree with that comment.