PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Pairs 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23

Ziggy
08-10-2012, 05:39 AM
On the Contrary... When we see this with proper volume levels..as we would in an arena or on TV..this music will be great. I love that this is an unusual arrangement of the music ( familiar , yet a bit surprising ), and think it will cast a spell...I really like it .

Volume doesn't really have anything to do with it though. The music just varies very little throughout. There are hardly any variations in tempo, not many accents, it's just very samey throughout.

And there isn't exactly much going on in terms of choreography. They have a few highlight moves here but there aren't even many upper body movements. An arm being raised here and there and that's it.

I know that it's much harder stamina wise to create a good free program but when compared to their transitions and choreo packed SP, this looks like a very half-arsed effort.

And whilst the jumps were very much on, non-jump elements still leave a lot to be desired. Their lifts looked much stronger last season.

manhn
08-10-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm not concerned about the lifts (although the lack of variation concerns me). As with every other pair, the lifts are done at the second half of the program for those extra points. It's still early in the season. They lack a bit of stamina.

nylynnr
08-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Heavy critique for a new FS done at a summer comp in early August. Fair enough, but the program at Indy would certainly have put M-T/M on the Canadian world team, and may have defeated the bronze medalists' FS in Nice. Agree on the repetition of the lunge entrance; it only counts as a difficult feature once, so no need to include twice.

shan
08-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Heavy critique for a new FS done at a summer comp in early August. Fair enough, but the program at Indy would certainly have put M-T/M on the Canadian world team, and may have defeated the bronze medalists' FS in Nice. Agree on the repetition of the lunge entrance; it only counts as a difficult feature once, so no need to include twice.

Oh but there's a fair amount of praise for it too! ;)

Ziggy
08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Well the choreography and transitions can get fleshed out as the season progresses.

But it's the music that's the main issue here, IMO. It's repetitive and doesn't exactly give much room for interpretation.

Sylvia
08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Cross-posting these 2 videos (skated today) from the Québec Summer Championships thread in Kiss and Cry:

Duhamel/Radford SP: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24607362

Natasha Purich/Sebastian Arcieri (new Junior team) SP: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24606779

ETA that Skate Canada has announced their 3 JGP pairs for Linz, Austria (cross-posted in the JGP Entries thread in Kiss and Cry):
Brittany Jones/Ian Beharry
Hayleigh Bell/Alistair Sylvester
Natasha Purich/Sebastian Arcieri

Ziggy
08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Wow, Duhamel/Radford's SP is really packed with transitions as well.

I'm actually a little worried there's too many of them for them to perform their elements comfortably at this stage.

Choreography is fun and playful and really requires more perk from them to sell it.

I actually think that M-T/M's SP would work better for D/R and D/R's would work better for M-T/M. ;)

hohoho
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Purich/Arcieri hopefully improve over the next few weeks. Purich may have to get used to no immediate success like she had with Shultz

skatingfan04
08-11-2012, 12:24 AM

I'm actually a little worried there's too many of them for them to perform their elements comfortably at this stage.

Choreography is fun and playful and really requires more perk from them to sell it.

I actually think that M-T/M's SP would work better for D/R and D/R's would work better for M-T/M. ;)

Wow, I really liked that. :D I think it was a huge step up for them. And, given the fact that the program didn't look terrible here, so early in the season, I think it should be smooth enough by the time major competition ramps up. Really could have done without the annoying guy who started moaning half way through the music, though.:rolleyes:

geoskate
08-11-2012, 05:16 AM
Both Duhamel/Radford and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch are starting off the season at a considerably higher level than at the same point in their season last year. Hopefully both teams continue to improve from this already high level. If they do, it could make for a very exciting competition at Canadian nationals.

For reference, last season Duhamel/Radford's short program at the Quebec Summer competition scored 45.14 (!). They also skated at the Mid-Atlantics, where their short program score was 54.38. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch skated at Thornhill as their first competition of the season. Their short program score was 55.35 and their long program score was 101.87.

geoskate
08-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Purich/Arcieri hopefully improve over the next few weeks.

I think it's certain that they will improve, since it's pretty much impossible for them to get worse than they were here.

That was a disaster. I attribute it to first-competition nerves, and I'm sure they're skating much better in practice than what they showed today. Nevertheless, I wonder if it might be wiser of Skate Canada to assign them to JGP competitions which are as late as possible rather than to assign them to Graz. Even though they are both good skaters, they need more mileage together (at least IMO).

craycray1973
08-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Purich/Arcieri hopefully improve over the next few weeks. Purich may have to get used to no immediate success like she had with Shultz

I think it's certain that they will improve, since it's pretty much impossible for them to get worse than they were here.

That was a disaster. I attribute it to first-competition nerves, and I'm sure they're skating much better in practice than what they showed today. Nevertheless, I wonder if it might be wiser of Skate Canada to assign them to JGP competitions which are as late as possible rather than to assign them to Graz. Even though they are both good skaters, they need more mileage together (at least IMO).

I agree with both of these comments. I do feel that Purich has taken a big step back from Schultz. Although they had their flaws at Nationals last year which cost them many points, they still had most of the difficult elements needed to survive in the Senior field. Ancieri seems like he needs more experience in pairs to handle Purich, although she didn't show anything she is capable of today. She is definitely capable of much more. She needs a stronger partner to show it IMO.

blademate
08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
IMO I don't think we should be getting too carried away with MT/M or D/R's scores from Summer Competitions... They tad to be a bit inflated compared to internationals. I highly doubt that a bumpy skate from D/R would have scored 65 internationally... That being said, both teams look GREAT for their 1st competitions of the summer, I cannot wait for the showdown at Nationals!

I also agree with those who say Purich has taken a step down from Schultz. I almost feel moving to Montreal WITH Schultz, or getting some more steady pairs coaching elsewhere would have been a better decision. They had a solid foundation that just needed expert refinement... Sure, she may get to go to a few more JGPs with Ariceri, but she already won 2 bronze with Schultz and came 5th at Jr Worlds, I'm not sure more Jr experience is really needed! Time will tell I guess :)

Subway
08-11-2012, 04:14 PM

I think MTM are pulling off their non-perk lp beautfully at this stage. I do think perk from DR is a challenge from a performance standpoint. And btw, I've watched the MTM twist and she doesn't land on his shoulder. Her rotations are complete when she comes down. It's a clean catch. There's no bump.

geoskate
08-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I think you also need to consider who the original poster of that comment was when you evaluate whether or not the twist was clean . . .

The posting record is quite instructive.