PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Pairs 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

shutterbug
04-26-2012, 03:49 AM
ian had a tryout with brittney jones today at KW
Wee bit surprised to hear Brittany might be considering a move back to KW, but a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do when there are so few partners available………kiss any hopes for fixing her posture goodbye though. :lol: Seconding the request for a report!

Question - if two former junior champions form a new partnership are they required to skate senior?

5Ali3
04-26-2012, 04:37 AM
Let me clarify....it's an unwise decision if one is serious about achieving a dream of a successful pairs skating career. The podiums were in sight, and she walked away from it. The odds of finding the kind of partnership she had are very long, and she is not likely to have all this ever again. If that is not what she wanted, then fine. But that doesn't compute for me after all kinds of effort and money she must have put into the sport so far.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this partnership and nothing about either skater; I've heard nothing, I'm not implying anything, I'm not talking about this team, this should not be taken as a statement about any skater or coach involved in the situation that's been under discussion.

It is absolutely true that it is generally impossible to know, from the outside, whether it's "unwise" for a team to split. To reiterate that I am not talking about this situation and I am not trying to get anyone to read between the lines of what I'm saying - in every situation in the past where I've known "the story" when a seemingly promising team breaks up with no obvious explanation or warning, there's always been an explanation and it's typically either not a pretty reason or it's about money (such as a boy demanding that a girl pay 100%). I've known teams that split because the boy physically abused the girl; because the boy harassed his partner (sexually or otherwise); because the coach harassed one of the skaters; because the coach was abusing one of the skaters and the partner not being abused chose to leave the rink to escape the situation when the abused partner refused to leave the abuser. Sometimes, it's about things outside the rink: probably the worst situation that I can recall involved intra-family violence. I really am not trying to imply that anything as awful as harassment or abuse was happening within this team or this rink - I meant it when I said "don't try to read between the lines." My point is that there are a lot of different reasons why teams split and it's impossible to know from the outside - sometimes, it's even impossible to know from the inside: you'd be surprised how many skaters within a rink can be blissfully unaware of what's happening right under their noses.

Personally, I strongly believe that our mission within the skating community is to raise strong, successful adults: from that perspective, many of the splits that raise eyebrows on the internet are actually in the skaters' best interest, no doubt. So much of what skaters do is bad for their general long-term well-being; when I talk to skaters who are 20+ years out from their career, almost every elite female - including the Olympians - say that it wasn't worth what they thought it was worth at the time. I know very few former pair "girls" who have allowed their children to skate competitively: it's like we're all grateful for having been skaters and the experiences that shaped us into who we are, yet almost no one would allow their daughter to follow in their footsteps. (As always, there are exceptions, of course.)

As a related but separate question, it's generally impossible to know, without the advantage of hindsight, whether it's "unwise" for a team to split in terms of future [skating] career success. I've used the example of Meno/Sand before, but I think it's a great example: there was much hang-wringing in the spring of '92, from just about every corner (including Mr. Nicks, IIRC), that it was a serious mistake to split up the preexisting teams - and yet they greatly exceeded the expectations that anyone had for them, as well as the potential of the preexisting teams.

On a more mundane note, it's quite common for teams who have decided to split to finish out previous commitments. I've seen plenty of teams split, conduct tryouts, and even start training with new partners while skating in shows with the previous partner. The money is usually needed by the skaters, but maybe more than that, the coaches often emphasize to their skaters that they have a responsibility to uphold their commitments and that backing out would damage the reputation of the skaters and of the coach.

And lastly, I cannot emphasize enough that I am not talking about Bobek, Beharry, their coaches, or anyone involved in their specific situation. I know nothing about their situation and I couldn't stand it if someone thought negatively of any of those individuals because of my post, which has nothing to do with them.

2sk8
04-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Wee bit surprised to hear Brittany might be considering a move back to KW, but a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do when there are so few partners available……… ... Seconding the request for a report!

A report would be great ;) Did I miss it, or any word on Seguin & a partner decision?

laceup
04-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I think a better choice for Beharry would be Seguin over Jones. Curious to hear if Seguin has already found a partner.

As for Bobak - she cooked her goose on this one, if this really was her decision. Not many (if any) decent junior age eligible (or even older) partner options for her.

Erin
04-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I agree that I'd rather see Seguin with Beharry than Jones. Jones's posture is just :scream: and she struggles with any jump more difficult than a double axel.

I also think that Bobak is going to have a hard time finding a good partner. I noticed at Challenge that there were a lot of talented junior-aged ladies skating in senior pairs, all with partners that were various combinations of too short, not very strong, too old for juniors, and/or just plain not strong skaters overall. The only male that I thought had a lot of potential was Michael Marinaro, but he and Purdy don't show any signs of splitting at this point. Obviously there are other reasons than skating talent to stick with or split with a partner, so I'm not suggesting that Bobak should have stayed with Beharry if there were real problems, but it's pretty clear that pickings are slim for male partners unless there's someone hanging around in novice, a la Craig Buntin (who went from 11th in novice in 99 to 1st in junior in 2000).

julieann
04-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I also think that Bobak is going to have a hard time finding a good partner. I noticed at Challenge that there were a lot of talented junior-aged ladies skating in senior pairs, all with partners that were various combinations of too short, not very strong, too old for juniors, and/or just plain not strong skaters overall. The only male that I thought had a lot of potential was Michael Marinaro, but he and Purdy don't show any signs of splitting at this point. Obviously there are other reasons than skating talent to stick with or split with a partner, so I'm not suggesting that Bobak should have stayed with Beharry if there were real problems, but it's pretty clear that pickings are slim for male partners unless there's someone hanging around in novice, a la Craig Buntin (who went from 11th in novice in 99 to 1st in junior in 2000).

She could change countries can't she, if she's that desperate. I mean I have no idea what went on behind closed doors but if he was mean to her or something like that. She must of had her reasons, or he had his, it's their choice.

Cant Skate
04-28-2012, 12:46 AM
pickings are slim for male partners unless there's someone hanging around in novice, a la Craig Buntin (who went from 11th in novice in 99 to 1st in junior in 2000).

Hmmm....of the Novice teams that are known to have split, the only two guys that haven't been mentioned as having new partners are Shaquille Davis and Cole Vandervelden. Both guys are decent skaters with Shaquille having placed 14th at Nationals in Senior and Cole 12th in Junior. What's happened with these two? Neither ever appeared on icepartner search that I'm aware of...not that guys have to in order to find a new partner but they seem to have disappeared from the chatter....

flowerpower
04-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Curious to hear if Seguin has already found a partner.

Hope she tries out with Beharry. Could be a good match.

blademate
04-28-2012, 04:10 AM
I'm not sure Seguin and Beharry would be a good match. She is good technically, but I think what made B/B so special was their long lines, and I don't think he and Seguin would have that same look...

Jones/Beharry would probably do very well this season given her technical abilities - she almost never missed that 3toe or her throws... She is not a step down from Bobak IMO

shutterbug
04-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Hmmm....of the Novice teams that are known to have split, the only two guys that haven't been mentioned as having new partners are Shaquille Davis and Cole Vandervelden. Both guys are decent skaters with Shaquille having placed 14th at Nationals in Senior and Cole 12th in Junior. What's happened with these two? Neither ever appeared on icepartner search that I'm aware of...not that guys have to in order to find a new partner but they seem to have disappeared from the chatter....

Pretty sure Davis is concentrationing on singles. His partner from last season, Jordyn Harper, is now skating with Wesley Killing.

Jones/Beharry would probably do very well this season given her technical abilities - she almost never missed that 3toe or her throws... She is not a step down from Bobak IMO

No, skills wise she isn’t a step down from Katie. Her 3toe has really solidified this season, and she’s also landing the 3sal. Her 2A was not going well at Canadians – had an ugly fall on it in her singles SP and dislocated her shoulder. Didn’t land one again in practice that I saw, and I was :yikes: every time she went up for an attempt. Almost fell out of my seat when she nailed such a good one in the pairs SP. She’s always been a rockstar on the throws and the 3twist. Although I suspect she’s going to grow into a beautiful young woman in the next couple of years, unfortunately at this point the poor child’s appearance is still really awkward, all arms and legs and forward posture. She does have one major advantage over Purich & Seguin though – she’s a local girl, and he wouldn’t have to move to skate with her.

For Katie, I’m wondering if it might be worthwhile to look at some of the JGP eligible American boys? No way will Skate Canada release her, but maybe the USFSA would be more lenient with a boy who hasn’t yet had much international success?

shutterbug
04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Looks like we can take Natasha Purich off the list of potential partners for this season:West Edmonton skater takes it one glide at a time (http://westedmontonlocal.ca/2012/04/west-edmonton-skater-takes-it-one-glide-at-a-time/)

Yet with Grade 12 just around the corner, Purich decided to take a break from pairs skating in order to give her more time for school next year. However, she hopes to try it against in the future.

puglover
04-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I loved her spunk - sure hope we see move of her in pairs in the future. She could go somewhere with the right partner.

The Accordion
04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
:( I loved her as a pairs skater. Maybe if the right partner comes along - she will change her mind?

aftershocks
04-29-2012, 12:21 AM
I enjoyed watching Bobak/ Beharry this season, and I was looking forward to seeing their development as a team. :(

Good luck to both of them.

blademate
04-29-2012, 01:19 AM
:sekret: say Purich is relocating to Montreal to skate with Arcieri... So much for taking a break from pairs :rolleyes: