PDA

View Full Version : Skaters that have appeared in movies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

zaphyre14
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Tonya Harding appeared in "Breakaway" playing the girlfriend of a criminal. And then there's her infamous "Wedding Night Video" ... :EVILLE:

briancoogaert
02-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Michelle Kwan appeared as a commentator in the movie about the young girl figure skater. I can't remember the title.
Ice Princess, IIRC.

Also, the Duchesnay appeared in a movie about their own life : Le feu sur la glace (translation : Fire on ice, but I don't know the real name in english).

Nomad
02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Vera Hruba Ralston (CZE) went to Hollywood in the early 40's and became "The Queen of Poverty Row" courtesy of 26 movies made for Republic Pictures. She got the name "Ralston" from a cereal box.

FSWer
02-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Wasn't Michelle Kwan in Ice Princess?

eusebius
02-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Vera Hruba Ralston (CZE) went to Hollywood in the early 40's and became "The Queen of Poverty Row" courtesy of 26 movies made for Republic Pictures. She got the name "Ralston" from a cereal box.

I was googling Vera Ralston and found out about another skater-turned movie star I didn't know about before:

Belita (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belita)

Another article about Belita (http://stirredstraightup.blogspot.com/2008/08/lady-in-waiting.html)

Vash01
02-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Wasn't Michelle Kwan in Ice Princess?

Yes, as a commentator.

geod2
02-18-2012, 07:17 PM
If I am not mistaken, Julie Benz played the 'guidance counselor/FBI agent' in the TV series Roswell. She was pretty good. I had no idea she was a figure skater.

That's right, she was Kathleen Topolsky in that series.
Wow, you have a good memory to go back that far!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004748/

Jot the Dot Dot
02-19-2012, 07:31 PM
That's one Cohen bit part I hadn't heard of. I did see her in the CSI: NY episode-I'm a huge fan of the series.

The episiode was "Silent Night", also had Marlee Matlin guest-star.

Loves_Shizuka
02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Didn´t Tara had a main character in a movie? It was something with Angel in the title i think. The other main character was Nicholle Tom from "The Nanny". It was even shown on German TV!!! But I guess it was a made for TV movie, not for cinema. If that counts, then Tanja Szewczenko also played a main character in a German TV movie called "Kasachstan Lady". And she was in severall German TV soaps as a main character. Right now she´s a police woman...

Tanja played "Diana" in Alles was Zahlt, a fairly far-fetched daytime German soap (which for some reason I am totally addicted to :scream: ) Funnily enough, Diana was an ice skater in the show, and becomes World champion! LOL. There are quite a few clips of Tanja skating and jumping. She left in about 2010 I believe. Tanja is a policewoman in "real life" now?! Random.

briancoogaert
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Tanja played "Diana" in Alles was Zahlt, a fairly far-fetched daytime German soap (which for some reason I am totally addicted to :scream: ) Funnily enough, Diana was an ice skater in the show, and becomes World champion! LOL. There are quite a few clips of Tanja skating and jumping. She left in about 2010 I believe. Tanja is a policewoman in "real life" now?! Random.
OMG, this TV-serie in which Tanja played Diana was an horror. Really ridiculous. Usually, I don't care about stupid series, but I've never been able to watch this one more than 5 minutes ! lol

FSWer
02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Tara was in "Ice Angel". I think she played herself. BTW. does anyone knpow if Michelle Kwan has ral plans as a Commentator?

Sylvia
02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
does anyone knpow if Michelle Kwan has ral plans as a Commentator?
I guess it's possible Kwan might do an occasional special appearance as a TV skating commentator, but from her recent interviews around her Hall of Fame induction at 2012 Nationals in San Jose, it sounds like she is focusing much less on skating these days and much more on a new and different career (perhaps in public diplomacy/policy or something else).

Tanja played "Diana" in Alles was Zahlt, a fairly far-fetched daytime German soap
U.S. pair skater/national champ Katie Orscher spent about 2 years in Germany (2007-08) and was the skating double for Tanja Szewchenko while she (Tanja) was still getting back in jumping shape for her role.

Wyliefan
02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
That's right, she was Kathleen Topolsky in that series.
Wow, you have a good memory to go back that far!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004748/

Back that far? To 1999?? Some of us can remember Mork & Mindy and Welcome Back, Kotter, youngster. :D

Loves_Shizuka
02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
U.S. pair skater/national champ Katie Orscher spent about 2 years in Germany (2007-08) and was the skating double for Tanja Szewchenko while she (Tanja) was still getting back in jumping shape for her role.

Oh cool, I didn't know that - I did wonder, as the jumps you see her do are triples. I was wondering if Tanja was in great shape, it's edited or what.

OMG, this TV-serie in which Tanja played Diana was an horror. Really ridiculous. Usually, I don't care about stupid series, but I've never been able to watch this one more than 5 minutes ! lol

:lol: It really is awful, BUT it owns it's awfulness :P It's weird, as I don't watch ANY TV, yet watch this consistently. I think it knows how bad it is and actually just takes the pi$$ out of itself.

geod2
02-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Back that far? To 1999?? Some of us can remember Mork & Mindy and Welcome Back, Kotter, youngster. :D

lol!

I'm a good deal older than you, so I'll gladly wear the title "youngster" anytime it's offered these days!
:D

Anyway, it's not like JB was even remotely as well-known as M&M and WB,K back then,
so remembering that little JB career detail from 12-13 years ago was impressive, at least to me...
;)

-