PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Nominations Announced

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Smiley0884
01-26-2012, 06:04 PM
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who didn't get the hype over this movie. I enjoyed it, but have no desire to repeat the viewings and don't get all the crazy love for it. I'm 100% behind the Melissa McCarthy love, as I've been a fan of hers since Gilmore Girls. But the movie itself is killed by the star/writer - Wiig. She was TOO pathetic and unlikeable. I couldn't root for her at all. And that scene at the engagement party drove me crazy too.

100 PERCENT AGREE!!!! Melissa Mcarthy made that movie for me. Wiig's character was just *so* shrill, whiny, and unbearable. It was a fun movie for what it was, but agreed with Beefcake that it was just clumsy overall. It was just a female ripoff of "The Hangover", a VASTLY superior film. IMHO Melissa derserves her nom for sure, but I'm :rofl: that it got nominated for anything else.

jenny12
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I agree. I never really liked Clooney because I thought he played himself but he was fabulous in Up in The Air. I was torn between him and Colin Firth as my favorite in the Oscars that year.

I thought he was also good in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I agree. I enjoy Clooney, but Brad Pitt, I think, has challenged himself more throughout his career and has picked more interesting roles. I would rather see both Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt nominated over Clooney. I saw The Descendants and while I thought it was a fine film and Clooney was effective, the role did not seem that challenging for him.

BigB08822
01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I have also thought that Clooney is always playing Clooney. Either that or he always picks the same types of roles (with a few exceptions) and now that is how I think he is in real life. I just never see much risk or depth in his characters but I also think his movies are very boring and hardly ever (maybe never) go see them in theaters. I almost always wait to rent or catch it on cable.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-26-2012, 06:46 PM
It wasn't until Up in the Air where I finally "got" Clooney. He is similar in many of his roles, but it's almost a throwback to Cary Grant or any of the classic Hollywood stars.

Btw, I loved Bridesmaids and I think Wiig and the film is really underrated (on this thread).

Jimena
01-26-2012, 07:09 PM
I don't know. I haven't seen Moneyball, yet, so I can't comment on that. But I don't think I've ever really enjoyed Pitt. He comes across as fake to me. I've never left one of his movies thinking "Wow, he was fantastic!". Though I agree that he has picked more challenging roles than Clooney, I think Clooney comes across more natural than Pitt does, even if he tends to play himself.

VALuvsMKwan
01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
It wasn't until Up in the Air where I finally "got" Clooney. He is similar in many of his roles, but it's almost a throwback to Cary Grant or any of the classic Hollywood stars.

Btw, I loved Bridesmaids and I think Wiig and the film is really underrated (on this thread).

Interesting that you cite Cary Grant, who was often described as "just playing himself". "Cary Grant" was quite a bit different from Archie Leach (Mr. Grant's real name), from everything I have read about his life.

I would love even now to be talented enough to play "Cary Grant". :)

genevieve
01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Same here. I know a lot of people on FSU are pulling for Pina, but the case of the West Memphis Three has been a major cause with Hollywood involvement, Johnny Depp and Peter Jackson being two of their major supporters.

I was under the impression that Paradise Lost 3 was considered a lock for the win. I would love Pina to win, but I think even if it weren't up against such a major contender it would be (sadly) unlikely for a documentary about modern dance to win.

BigB08822
01-26-2012, 07:29 PM
I really want to see Paradise Lost 3!

Cyn
01-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I really want to see Paradise Lost 3!

I've seen the other two Paradise Lost films and have been waiting for what seems like forever to see the third installment. Given the events back in August with the court hearing and then with Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley taking an Alford Plea that allowed them to be freed, the whole direction of the third movie ended up going in a completely different direction.

For those who aren't familiar with the case of the WM3, the first two Paradise Lost films are available for viewing on youtube. There is also a wealth of information about the case at WM3.org (http://www.wm3.org/) as well as wm3blackboard (http://www.wm3blackboard.com/forum/index.php). Wikipedia has a detailed page about it (though as we know, it's not always the most factually accurate ;) ).

I started following this case pretty much from the beginning (having been a member of the punk/goth community), and was appalled and disgusted with how the case and the trial were dealt with (to say nothing about how the community of West Memphis, AR reacted and behaved through the whole ordeal).

LisaS
01-27-2012, 03:16 AM
Brad Pitt was excellent in 12 Monkeys. If you haven't seen, I highly recommend.

BigB08822
01-27-2012, 03:22 AM
I feel really stupid but I didn't realize Paradise Lost 3 was referring to a 3rd movie. I thought it had 3 in the title because 3 men were arrested. :shuffle: Now I have something to watch this weekend! This is the movie that Peter Jackson got attached to, right?

Cachoo
01-27-2012, 05:45 AM
I remember when there was so much talk about the Oscar competition between Morgan Freeman and Tom Cruise and then Daniel Day Lewis won. I wonder if all of the Clooney and Pitt talk might be premature considering the other three candidates.

BigB08822
01-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Well I don't know if the other candidates are so much of a risk as much as Clooney and Pitt may split votes.

Domshabfan
01-27-2012, 07:07 AM
I hope A separation wins the best oscar for foreign language, I just love Iranian movies. I am now officially a fan of Leila Hatami (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4JYDc5789U&feature=related) :swoon:

Jimena
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I haven't seen The Descendants so I might change my mind after I see it, but I'm rooting for Jean Dujardin. He was wonderful in The Artist.