PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

cruisin
02-19-2012, 03:06 PM
ugh, after the pilot I defended the Debra Messing family plot, but on this week's ep it completely bugged. Her husband was ok with adopting at 45, but adopting at 47 is completely over the line? And the SON! I was embarrassed for the actor who had to say those lines about how his parents promised him a sibling and that his baby sister was out there....somewhere. That might fly if the son was 10 years old, but it was not remotely credible coming from a much older teenager. Especially not from a 20-something playing a teenager.

Absolutely, it was just weird.

Artemis@BC
02-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Finally caught up last night.

As stupid as the adoption storyline was, I think what I disliked the most about episode 2 was how they turned Ivy into a diva-bitch. Well, diva-bitch-light. I was so pleasantly surprised in the pilot episode that both of the characters were set up to be likable ... but that more or less went out the window with this episode. I guess it was inevitable, but still.

And if they would just drop the stupid adoption storyline (or at least spend less time on it), there's be more time for showing the creative process. Those are the moments I'm liking the most: the idea-to-inspiration scene, the how to organize the songs to structure the show scene, the director-giving-direction scene, etc.

Oh, and enough with "Let Me Be Your Star" please! It's just schmaltzy and too poppy. More real "Broadway" numbers like the baseball one last week and "20th Century Fox" this week.

Rob
02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
It has been really boring so far. I think I will give it one more week.

Wyliefan
02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Since Castle isn't on tonight, I may take a look at it, though what I've heard so far has been very mixed.

What's up with stupid adoption storylines lately, though? Once Upon a Time has one (Got an evil adoptive mom? Never fear, here comes bio mom to save the day!), and I seem to keep hearing about them on other shows, too.

soxxy
02-20-2012, 09:47 PM
It has been really boring so far. I think I will give it one more week.

A Smash Fan's Plea: Please Skip Episode 3!

But -- yes, there's a but -- I'm begging, pleading, asking as politely as a public rant can be, please just skip Episode 3, titled "Enter Mr. DiMaggio" (Mon., Feb. 20, 10 p.m. EST on NBC).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maggie-furlong/smash-episode-3_b_1280559.html

I scanned the blog. I don't know what she's going on about, but the show is a major bore and I was looking forward to it with all the build up.

Artemis@BC
02-20-2012, 10:01 PM
What's up with stupid adoption storylines lately, though? Once Upon a Time has one (Got an evil adoptive mom? Never fear, here comes bio mom to save the day!), and I seem to keep hearing about them on other shows, too.

And if it's not an adoption storyline ... its a character with Asperger's. I've lost track of how many shows these days have an Asperger's, either as a main character or a guest character. I mean, I'm glad they're showing that differently-abled people are part of our society ... but how about mixing it up a bit?

Marilou
02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Then I don't know I think Hilty is like projecting Mae West and not Marylin at all!

Thank you...I couldn't put my feelings about the Ivy character into words, but ths is it exactly. While she may be blond and buxom, she just isn't Marilyn to me.

shan
02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I watched the first 2 episodes and there is something increasingly off putting about Ivy. I don't care enough to watch tonight.

Rob
02-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Since Castle isn't on tonight, I may take a look at it, though what I've heard so far has been very mixed.

It isn't? My TV guide says it is Part 2 continued from last week with Jennifer Beals guest starring again.

Wyliefan
02-20-2012, 11:40 PM
It isn't? My TV guide says it is Part 2 continued from last week with Jennifer Beals guest starring again.

Oops -- you're right! My newspaper showed a rerun. Glad you said that!!

manhn
02-21-2012, 06:18 AM
I. HATE. LOATHE. CANNOT. STAND. ELLIS. HATE!!!

This show is so stagey and I am still trying to figure out if it's intentional or not. When I watched the Pilot, I appreciated the lack of edginess in the series. But it's so stagey--from the throwing of the Manhattan every time we see Anjelica Huston's ex, to the awful awful musical montages (i.e. those inserts of Debra Messing's family during that final song--awful!).

I will say that I love Anjelica's character--she's not the usual ballsy takes no prisoner elder statesperson one usually sees on tv. She's kinda naive and has a lot to learn and overcome. I am interested in her path.

I also liked that the show didn't go the usual path of portraying Iowa. There are actually people of colour in Iowa! Although, McPhee spent all that money to go to a shower consisting of 4 people? Does McPhee's sister have no more friends? Or her husband's relatives? Heck, where was the mom?

But it cannot be said enough. ELLIS MUST GO!!!! HATE!!!

genevieve
02-21-2012, 07:12 AM
wow, this was really a filler episode.

I liked Ellis before, but now he's just a jerk. Seems like they could have given it a few more episodes of him being treated like crap by Julia before turning eville.

not really interested in Julia's boytoy either - although the cheesy bruno mars staging was amusing

oh goodie, next week they'll find a way to get an Adele song into the story. I don't get to hear her enough on tv.

jenny12
02-21-2012, 07:16 AM
I watched the episode tonight and am still curious to see how it develops even though I still think the writing is pretty weak. I agree manhn that I hate the Ellis character. I can't believe he wouldn't have been fired a long time ago. I enjoy Angelica Houston, the sleazy Brit director, and the dynamic between Julia and Tom. Brian D'Arcy James is a wonderful stage actor, but his character is really dull on the show (although her boytoy wasn't any more interesting), along with McPhee and her mannequin of a boyfriend.

cruisin
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Agree that the Ellis character is awful. His arrogance is :eek:. And I don't get that he actually thinks that because he mentioned a show about Marilyn, that he gets credit. It's not like he had a story line down, songs written and they were stolen, it was simply a thought. He, in reality, had nothing to do with the show. You can see it in the cards, that he will use Julia's affair to blackmail her into something. What a creep.

Rob
02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
I got halfway through this episode and ZZZZzzzzzzz. It is really so strange because I am interested in finding out what happens, but it is just so slow moving getting there that I get bored and zone out. I don't really recall a show where I was interested in the characters but couldn't actually watch the scenes.