PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

bek
02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
I think socialized is being nice. I think socially warped is closer to what it is. A bit off topic, but there was an interview on GMA this morning. Apparently a Victoria's Secret supermodel just gave up her wings (forget her name - she won the 2009 model search). Anyway, one of her motivating issues was that her little 8 year old cousin told her she was going to stop eating so that she could look like her. Scary!

In reality, though Hilty is a B'way star.

I thought that she gave it up because modeling lingerie clashed with her Christian beliefs. I actually think Victoria Secret really isn't that bad when it comes to the models they choose. Their girls are thin, tiffed but the few I've seen don't look like starvation victims.

I think Marilyn was a bit smaller than people are giving her credit for. Oh don't get me wrong she wasn't like modern day actresses. But a size 12 in those days was a lot smaller than a size 12 now. I wouldn't be surprised if in today's sizes Marilyn is like size 4 or 6. I think in between Hilty and McPhee.

When Monroe died she was 117 pounds. Her weight ended to fluctuate between 115 to 140.

cruisin
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I thought that she gave it up because modeling lingerie clashed with her Christian beliefs. I actually think Victoria Secret really isn't that bad when it comes to the models they choose. Their girls are thin, tiffed but the few I've seen don't look like starvation victims.

Sorry for the brief derail. She did talk about modeling lingerie clashing with her Christian beliefs. But she also related the story about her little cousin, and that it is a compelling reason, as well. She said she didn't want to contribute to the idea that women/girls had to be skinny to be beautiful or that physical beauty was their sole value.

bek
02-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Sorry for the brief derail. She did talk about modeling lingerie clashing with her Christian beliefs. But she also related the story about her little cousin, and that it is a compelling reason, as well. She said she didn't want to contribute to the idea that women/girls had to be skinny to be beautiful or that physical beauty was their sole value.

Well absolutely.

cruisin
02-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Well absolutely.

Yes, I was pretty impressed that she would give up such a lucrative contract, for her principles.

Rob
02-09-2012, 03:37 PM
IIRC Melinda was the following season of American Idol, season 6 I believe.

She was on the Jordin Sparks season.

Someone did mention Alex Wong earlier in the thread -- that is how I knew to look for him.

Smiley0884
02-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I think Marilyn was a bit smaller than people are giving her credit for. Oh don't get me wrong she wasn't like modern day actresses. But a size 12 in those days was a lot smaller than a size 12 now. I wouldn't be surprised if in today's sizes Marilyn is like size 4 or 6. I think in between Hilty and McPhee.

When Monroe died she was 117 pounds. Her weight ended to fluctuate between 115 to 140.

ITA. I was looking at pictures of Marilyn, and when you see her next to other actresses, she's actually on the petite side. Does anyone know how tall she was? I think a lot of people misuse the word "curvy". Curvy is more about one's actual body shape, than weight, although that does factor in. Marilyn had beatiful curves, but was still on the smaller size. She seemed to be small boned/small framed, but with curves in the right places.

Ivy is more petite than Karen, but definitely curvier. Although she seems to be a different "type" of curvy than Marilyn. Ivy is more top heavy than Marilyn, and her hips are a little bit smaller, but I think she's much closer to Marilyn's overall "look" than Karen is. Although I think Karen's facial features are softer than Ivy's, much like Marilyn's are. Karen does have some curves to her, but she's tall and slender so her curves don't stand out as much next to Ivy.

reckless
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
One of the issues with judging the actresses on their appearances and similarities to Marilyn is that we're talking about casting an actress for a stage role. Only about 100 or so people in the audience are going to be close enough to compare an actress' face or body structure to Marilyn's. What is needed is someone who can project the character to an audience of 1,000 people nightly. To be visible to that kind of audience, a lot of physical actions have to be exaggerated. (It's something similar to ice dance and how people watching on television criticize the skaters' facial expressions, but that is because we are seeing things close-up on television, not in a crowd 20 rows back from the ice.)

On a television show, I think that works against Hilty, because she is accustomed to acting a bit "bigger" (for lack of a better word). That works on stage (as shown in her YouTube videos from 9 to 5 and Wicked), but can sometimes seem diva-ish or over-the-top in the more intimate vehicle of television. By contrast, I have seen nothing so far from McPhee that makes me think she would work on stage as Marilyn. I'm not saying she won't, just that she doesn't project as larger than life, which is what anyone playing the Marilyn role would need to succeed on stage.

DarrellH
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I'll start this by saying I'm basing this on a sense of reality. With Hilty's character, the producers are probably seeing the limit on how far they can take her towards the Marilyn look. With McPhee's character, There is the mental image of potentially more. She could bring a lot of the personality to it.

Rob
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know how tall she was?
5' 51/2" according to this, which has some interesting info/opinion:

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/the-body-of-marilyn-monroe/

Smiley0884
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
5' 51/2" according to this, which has some interesting info/opinion:

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/the-body-of-marilyn-monroe/

Thanks Rob! That was a good read!

RockTheTassel
02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I don't really understand the Smash/Glee comparisons. IMO, the only thing they have in common is that they both feature music.

I agree with those who like Ivy more than Karen for the part of Marilyn. I love Katharine's voice, but her character didn't have the prescence or confidence to pull off someone as iconic as Monroe. Since it's obvious that Karen will eventually get the part, I hope she's just holding back now and will improve later on.

The Accordion
02-10-2012, 07:56 AM
I had fun watching the show - even though I do agree with some of the criticisms.
I also don't want Debra Messing's character to be single because I lurvvvvvvve Brian D'Arcy James. :)

Did anyone else think they were going for a Norma Jean vs Marilyn thing - with the one character being brunette, younger, less experienced and the other a blonde vet a little older?

Loved seeing Alex Wong in there - and I knew to look for him since he tweeted about it.

Looking forward to more!

cruisin
02-10-2012, 01:50 PM
^^ Yes, I think so too.

ArtisticFan
02-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't really understand the Smash/Glee comparisons. IMO, the only thing they have in common is that they both feature music.

I agree. Glee has never held my interest for even a second. So I can't really understand comparing the two either.

AnnieBgood
02-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Anyone who finished below Taylor Hicks was screwed :scream:

I confess, I was part of the "soul patrol". :slinkaway

Kellie Pickler & Elliot Yamin were from that season, as well.