PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

topaz
02-07-2012, 11:08 PM
I love Kat McPhee, and I'm happy she's establishing a career after she got screwed on AI, as Julieann put it! :cheer2:

I thought the bf was sweet, but OTT. The writers need to take it down a notch, he's just not realistic.

Some of the cliches (and the director's apartment scene!) were a bit much, but I liked it overall, and will definitely be back to watch next week. I also like that Ivy is presented as a likeable character. I wouldn't be able to take the show if she was an OTT one note "diva".

Go Screwed? Everyone knows that Chris D should have won that year. Also, that is the year Melinda Dolittle was on AI if I recall.

I'm actually rooting for the other to get the part than Kat McPhee. I'm sorry I'm not up on recent theater stars, but that girl is FABULOUS!!!!

soxxy
02-07-2012, 11:20 PM
well, even if the character is supposed to be 12 it could be an 18-20 year old playing him :lol:

The actor is 20 (I checked) and was playing a video game on his phone while his parents talked. He looked like he was in high school, junior, senior, dressed in his hoodie.

Didn't McPhee lose her voice on AI the final night? I agree Daughtry should have won.

I like Megan Hilty.

Artemis@BC
02-07-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm actually rooting for the other to get the part than Kat McPhee. I'm sorry I'm not up on recent theater stars, but that girl is FABULOUS!!!!

I thought Ivy was fabulous in the first half -- doing the demo that ended up on YouTube, and the director's audition piece for "the baseball number." But in the second half, and particularly the final song, her voice was relatively weak. Kinda appropriate for Marilyn, since Marilyn wasn't actually all that fabulous a singer ... but the Broadway Marily has to be better than the real Marilyn, and based on the performance of that song alone I'd give it to McPhee. I wonder if they did that deliberately, to set up the "talented newcomer" more dramatically?

Of course a Broadway star has to be a triple threat, so we'll have to see how the other 2 sides of the talents play out.

(I've never watched AI so I have no prior vested interest in McPhee ... but I'm delighted to "be introduced" to this talent! :cool:)

Smiley0884
02-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Go Screwed? Everyone knows that Chris D should have won that year. Also, that is the year Melinda Dolittle was on AI if I recall.

Anyone who finished below Taylor Hicks was screwed :scream:

Chris did really well, but his goat throat voice started to grate towards the end of his run. I thought any combination of Kat/Eliot/Chris would have been deserving of the top 2.

IIRC Melinda was the following season of American Idol, season 6 I believe.

soxxy
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
And could we be seeing a version of "Marilyn" on Broadway if the show succeeds?

'Marilyn: An American Fable' opened on Broadway in 1983 and flopped. It starred Alyson Reed (who would later play Cassie in the dreadful movie version of A Chorus Line) and Scott Bakula as Joe DiMaggio, who must have been :swoon:, particularly in his 20s.

Didn't they mention a past production on Smash?

http://theater.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9B02EFD91339F932A15752C1A96594826 0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn:_An_American_Fable

ETA: Yup, Scotty was (is?) a hottie:

http://www.angelfire.com/stars/scottbakula/images/MarilynAAF.jpg

Artemis@BC
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
'Marilyn: An American Fable' opened on Broadway in 1983 and flopped. ... Didn't they mention a past production on Smash?

Yes they did. When the idea of "Marilyn the Musical" is first brought up, Debra Messing's character says "It's been done, it was a flop." And again later in the episode.

julieann
02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Anyone who finished below Taylor Hicks was screwed :scream:

That's more of what I meant :lol:

soxxy
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Yes they did. When the idea of "Marilyn the Musical" is first brought up, Debra Messing's character says "It's been done, it was a flop." And again later in the episode.

Thanks. Maybe Scott Bakula can do a cameo of some sort.

taf2002
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
At the risk of being :lynch:, I thought Ivy looks a little overweight. Maybe that's because she's relatively short & very stacked. I think Kat is coming off as more talented, except Ivy did a fabulous job on the baseball number. But her voice isn't as good as Kat's IMO.

I agree anyone who finished lower than Taylor Hicks got screwed...he should have never made the cut after Hollywood week.

Artemis@BC
02-08-2012, 11:08 PM
At the risk of being :lynch:, I thought Ivy looks a little overweight. Maybe that's because she's relatively short & very stacked.

I thought she looked almost exactly the same size as Marilyn. By today's Hollywood standards, Marilyn would be considered obese and unemployable.

Just shows you how we've been socialized ...

cmkrcwi
02-09-2012, 01:27 AM
I don't think Ivy is intended to be a Broadway diva. I think she's supposed to be a chorus veteran, someone that's been plugging along, working constantly in shows but has never gotten that "big break" that could make her a star.

orbitz
02-09-2012, 01:44 AM
By today's Hollywood standards, Marilyn would be considered obese and unemployable.

Marilyn would be labeled "voluptuous" by today standard. No way would she be considered "obese". And she would probably get more roles to TV than in films.

MarieM
02-09-2012, 08:39 AM
I am surprised noone saw Alex WONG in there ;)

tarotx
02-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I am surprised noone saw Alex WONG in there ;)Spencer Lift was there too :hat1:

Oh yeah I loved the pilot from start to finish. I was so upset when it was over. I often wait until quite a few episodes air before I watch so that I can really get into the show. But I've been waiting for Smash since May 2011 so...I'll have to watch as it airs since they decided to pair it with the voice mid season.

I hope they can keep up the magic and the ratings. Looking forward!!

cruisin
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I thought she looked almost exactly the same size as Marilyn. By today's Hollywood standards, Marilyn would be considered obese and unemployable.

Just shows you how we've been socialized ...

I think socialized is being nice. I think socially warped is closer to what it is. A bit off topic, but there was an interview on GMA this morning. Apparently a Victoria's Secret supermodel just gave up her wings (forget her name - she won the 2009 model search). Anyway, one of her motivating issues was that her little 8 year old cousin told her she was going to stop eating so that she could look like her. Scary!

I don't think Ivy is intended to be a Broadway diva. I think she's supposed to be a chorus veteran, someone that's been plugging along, working constantly in shows but has never gotten that "big break" that could make her a star.

In reality, though Hilty is a B'way star.