PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Rob
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
I made it through the first 15 or 20 minutes and thought it was incredibly slow. I have the rest on tape so I will watch it later. I haven't gotten to the auditions yet, but just based on what I have seen, I can't believe anyone would challenge the blonde girl for the role.

Artemis@BC
02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Well, I thought it was pretty great! It's difficult for a pilot episode to establish the premise and introduce you to all the characters without it being really awkward, but they succeeded for the most part. I'm hooked, can't wait to see more.

I loved the switching between the rehearsal versions of the numbers and the stage versions -- though that might get old. But more importantly, the music was good! Maybe not Tony-award-winning calibre, but still pretty impressive.

I'm really glad that they didn't try to set up "good" and "evil" characters, at least not right away. I had thought they were going to establish Ivy as a prima donna type, lining the audience up to hate her and love Karen. But no, there are reasons to like both characters. And Dev is just adorable -- I hope they don't throw in some scandal-at-the-Mayor's-office or affair-with-Ivy subplot for him.

The biggest surprise for me though was Debra Messing. I found her extremely annoying in Will & Grace, but I really liked her last night. Maturity works for her. I agree, we could do without the family stuff, that's just not necessary -- yeah yeah, balancing family & career for a professional woman is hard, seen it before. But it was only a small part so far.

And also fun to see Angelica Huston, even if her makeup is a little scary.

Of course now I really want to see "Marilyn, The Musical."

orbitz
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
The most unbelieveable character is the boyfriend. Supportive is one thing, he's in a whole other category!

Is this still the show pilot you're talking about? Yeah, when the bf gave the speech at the dinner with her parents about how "she's a star ...", I wanted to throw up :lol:. Who talks like that in real life?

cruisin
02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Is this still the show pilot you're talking about? Yeah, when the bf gave the speech at the dinner with her parents about how "she's a star ...", I wanted to throw up :lol:. Who talks like that in real life?

Yup, that was exactly where I thought :eek: he's scary!

genevieve
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
The biggest surprise for me though was Debra Messing. I found her extremely annoying in Will & Grace, but I really liked her last night. Maturity works for her.
I didn't dislike her in Will & Grace (although the entire show got old after a while), but I agree - maturity definitely works for her.

And I don't hate her family backstory. The adoption thing? Ehhh, I'm kinda hoping it just doesn't work out, but I do like that she has a family that both supports (and benefits from) what she does but that there's a price paid for it too.

julieann
02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Just love Katherine's voice.

I've loved her since she got screwed on AI :mad:

I am still wondering if I'll keep it on my watch list. They'll ruin this show I'm sure !

I'm sure they'll wreck it somehow but it will be full while it lasts! :D

Smiley0884
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I love Kat McPhee, and I'm happy she's establishing a career after she got screwed on AI, as Julieann put it! :cheer2:

I thought the bf was sweet, but OTT. The writers need to take it down a notch, he's just not realistic.

Some of the cliches (and the director's apartment scene!) were a bit much, but I liked it overall, and will definitely be back to watch next week. I also like that Ivy is presented as a likeable character. I wouldn't be able to take the show if she was an OTT one note "diva".

Beefcake
02-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Let's not forget Pasha! Her Olympics '98 embarrassment. She was Marilyn in her mind :lol:
"Happy Ber-se-tay, Mr. President" ... so convincing. :slinkaway Pasha ... I miss that mess sometimes.

I didn't catch the show (may do so next week), but from the promos*, McPhee looks uncannily like Marilyn Monroe. Put a Marilyn wig on that girl, and she's MM's sister from another mother.

*(NBC may have slipped in 180 or so of them during the two nights of Super Bowl and The Voice :lol:)

soxxy
02-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I didn't catch the show (may do so next week), but from the promos*, McPhee looks uncannily like Marilyn Monroe. Put a Marilyn wig on that girl, and she's MM's sister from another mother.

*(NBC may have slipped in 180 or so of them during the two nights of Super Bowl and The Voice :lol:)

NBC will repeat the pilot Saturday night, or you can stream it on its website.

professordeb
02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
I tried to watch this and lasted all of maybe 15 minutes? Then I fell asleep. I really had hoped to see it all but apparently my zoning out due to commercial breaks just did me in. Maybe I'll try to see the next episode.

cruisin
02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I didn't dislike her in Will & Grace (although the entire show got old after a while), but I agree - maturity definitely works for her.

And I don't hate her family backstory. The adoption thing? Ehhh, I'm kinda hoping it just doesn't work out, but I do like that she has a family that both supports (and benefits from) what she does but that there's a price paid for it too.

Yeah, the adoption part seems too contrived. They have a grown son who seems very well adjusted. Trying to write/produce a Broadway play doesn't leave much time for a baby.

Artemis@BC
02-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah, the adoption part seems too contrived. They have a grown son who seems very well adjusted. Trying to write/produce a Broadway play doesn't leave much time for a baby.

I wondered if perhaps he was the husband's son from a previous marriage. With that big of an age gap (between the son and a new baby), that's what seems to make the most sense.

And of course the issues re: adopting now that was the husband's whole point -- not good timing for producing a new play!

genevieve
02-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, the adoption part seems too contrived. They have a grown son who seems very well adjusted.
Is he grown? I thought he was supposed to be in high school, around 14-15. Still a big gap, but not unheard of.

cruisin
02-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Is he grown? I thought he was supposed to be in high school, around 14-15. Still a big gap, but not unheard of.

He seemed older to me. More like 18-20. But I could be off.

Still, it seems like husband is more enthused about the adoption than the Messing character.

genevieve
02-07-2012, 11:02 PM
well, even if the character is supposed to be 12 it could be an 18-20 year old playing him :lol: