PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26]

Bostonfan
06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I realize thread drift is inevitable, but I keep coming back expecting updates or posts about "SMASH". Start a new thread about Book of Mormon if you want - or Broadway musicals in general - please!

michiruwater
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Sometimes you do things to make other people happy. That, in turn, should make us happy. :)

Except you've spent numerous posts complaining about how much you hated it (and brought up how much you hated it all on your own in the first place), so, clearly, going did not make you happy.

Artemis@BC
06-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I realize thread drift is inevitable, but I keep coming back expecting updates or posts about "SMASH". Start a new thread about Book of Mormon if you want - or Broadway musicals in general - please!

The thread drift began when we started musing about whether or not we'd go to see Bombshell if it were a real Broadway musical. So, to try to get back on track ...

I think I would if a. the price were right and b. the cast/stars were right. (And, perhaps most importantly, c. if it came to Vancouver). I agree that it's a pretty traditional Broadway musical in terms of its structure, but as I said before that's never bothered me -- kinda what I love about the genre. And I do like (most of) the music quite a bit, and for me that's the number one criterion.

Kat McPhee does a perfectly fine job for the screen version, but I don't see her as having the the stage presence necessary for a live production. So that would factor in. Plus I'm only mildly interested in Marilyn as subject matter. So unless I won the lottery and could do semi-annual Broadway trips, I can't imagine that I'd put it on my "must see" list for a trip to New York.

genevieve
06-05-2012, 08:05 PM
If the tv show put on a touring version (think Glee tour), sure, I'd go see it if it came to my town and was reasonably priced. I think to make it work they'd probably have to do something to have both "Ivy" and "Karen" in the Marilyn role, or maybe it's a surprise and you don't know until you get there which one it will be...

I can't separate the tv show from the fictional show, though, so no I wouldn't go see the show Bombshell on Broadway, because I've been seeing half of it on tv every week :lol:

Bostonfan
06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
The fact is that with a new show runner (from Gossip Girls no less), we have no idea how much the original concept will change in Season 2. Will getting Bombshell successfully to Broadway still be the main focus, or merely a backdrop to concentrate on character drama? Either way, they need to broaden the focus beyond just the 2 Marilyns.

cruisin
06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
The fact is that with a new show runner (from Gossip Girls no less), we have no idea how much the original concept will change in Season 2. Will getting Bombshell successfully to Broadway still be the main focus, or merely a backdrop to concentrate on character drama? Either way, they need to broaden the focus beyond just the 2 Marilyns.

Do you mean develop the other characters in Bombshell? Or develop the other character's "real lives"? Because, so far, developing the characters, outside of the play, has been dismal.

genevieve
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
But hiring the Gossip Girl showrunner seems to indicate that's the direction they'll be going :drama:

tarotx
06-16-2012, 01:19 AM
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/162487/newsies-star-jeremy-jordan-joins-second-season-of-smash/

I love Jeremy Jordan so I have high hopes about him on the series :):)