PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26

Artemis@BC
06-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I am not a South Park fan, so I was skeptical about Book of Mormon. It was funny, in some spots, but not as "great' as has been promoted. I think it just bothers me that a religion is being mocked. It just seems wrong. And I am not a fan of the Mormon Church, I just don't like the idea of mocking it.

But the genius of it is that it wasn't "mocking the Mormon Church" per se (and in fact I would argue that it was actually playing homage to the Mormon Church and its people) ... it was satirizing literalism. It used LDS beliefs as the specific example, but was really holding up a light to all religions, and showing the dangers of any blind, unquestioning faith.

I do agree that in terms of music & structure it was a fairly traditional Broadway musicals, but then again I've never had any quibbles whatsoever with traditional Broadway musicals. Which is why I love those parts of Bombshell.

Theatregirl1122
06-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I have no quibble with traditional Broadway musicals, but they aren't the most exciting thing, either. And I do have a quibble with things that look stale. Memphis certainly isn't innovative so it isn't surprising that cruisin didn't find it so. Mormon has a fairly traditional Broadway structure but the staging, choreography, and theme are modern. And they are telling a story that no one would have expected to see on a Broadway stage. And it is funny as hell.

And cruisin, you should really read what the creators of the show really have to say about the Mormon Church and its people. Because this show isn't what you think it is. And it works because the reason this show works is because the creators weren't mocking either the Mormon Church or Broadway musicals.

Bombshell just feels to me like something that would have been written in the 60s. And probably not something that would have been one of the best musicals written in the 60s. I like plenty of shows that were written in that era and I enjoy seeing revivals of them especially with excellent direction.

Bombshell reminds me of Catch Me If You Can. It's fun to watch and includes several great performances, but ultimately unmemorable, not innovative, based on an old structure, and without many songs that would make you want to buy the Cast Album. The only song I've really been interested in listening to from "Bombshell" is "Second Hand White Baby Grand".

cruisin
06-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Artemis@BC & Theatregirl1122, I can only ask if you've seen Book of Mormon. I've heard that the play does not mock the Mormon church, before. But, I saw it and it does. It don't just ridicule blind faith, it is pretty specific in it's mockery of Mormon faith. And one line in particular bothered me, when Jesus called one of the Mormons a dick.

I have no issue with traditional Broadway musicals, I was just pointing out that even new musicals are not radically different in format.

Theatregirl1122
06-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Yes, I've seen book of Mormon. And I know pretty much every line of the show. You're aware that Jesus calls Elder Price a dick in a dream, right?

BelleBway
06-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Artemis@BC & Theatregirl1122, I can only ask if you've seen Book of Mormon. I've heard that the play does not mock the Mormon church, before. But, I saw it and it does.

In your opinion it does.

In my opinion, and the opinion of others, it doesn't. And yes, I have seen it and listened to the recording a zillion times. On the surface, perhaps there is some overall mockery (although I'd make the case that the show is just irreverent in general and not against a specific religion) but I felt that the deeper message was actually quite sweet in a lot of ways- it showed how religion (or, really, believing anything deeply- as I said, I thought the message was way more general) is actually a positive thing. At least that is what I took away from it at the end.

cruisin
06-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Yes, I've seen book of Mormon. And I know pretty much every line of the show. You're aware that Jesus calls Elder Price a dick in a dream, right?

Yes, it was the hell dream. But, for me, dream or not, it felt wrong.

Theatregirl1122
06-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Yes, it was the hell dream. But, for me, dream or not, it felt wrong.

Well, that's your own hang up, I suppose. I've talked to a bunch of people working at Book of Mormon and they said they've had a very positive response from Mormons who have seen the show.

nypanda
06-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Opinions which we disagree are "hang ups", now? :rolleyes: Cruisin, you are not alone. I have heard the same reaction from many, many people.

Theatregirl1122
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Opinions which we disagree are "hang ups", now? :rolleyes: Cruisin, you are not alone. I have heard the same reaction from many, many people.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If someone is uncomfortable with that sort of thing, perhaps they should be responsible for investigating what they are spending their money on.

cruisin
06-02-2012, 05:30 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If someone is uncomfortable with that sort of thing, perhaps they should be responsible for investigating what they are spending their money on.

First, the tickets were a gift. I was not thrilled with the choice, but it would have been rude not to go (and my husband did want to see it). I'm not likely to investigate musical tickets that might be given as an anniversary gift. So, you're rather off base there. Second, nypanda (thank you) is right. We are entitled to our own feelings and opinions. And clearly, I am not alone, in my opinion on this. That doesn't make my opinion a "hang up". You liked it, fine. I thought it was just okay. Though I did think the two male leads were very talented. I said, up front, I am not a fan of South Park humor. I have never thought that humor that relies on potty jokes and 4 letter words to be funny. And I am uncomfortable with mocking a religion, regardless of whether I agree with it's beliefs or practices.

Jayar
06-02-2012, 07:22 PM
First, the tickets were a gift. I was not thrilled with the choice, but it would have been rude not to go (and my husband did want to see it). I'm not likely to investigate musical tickets that might be given as an anniversary gift. So, you're rather off base there. Second, nypanda (thank you) is right. We are entitled to our own feelings and opinions. And clearly, I am not alone, in my opinion on this. That doesn't make my opinion a "hang up". You liked it, fine. I thought it was just okay. Though I did think the two male leads were very talented. I said, up front, I am not a fan of South Park humor. I have never thought that humor that relies on potty jokes and 4 letter words to be funny. And I am uncomfortable with mocking a religion, regardless of whether I agree with it's beliefs or practices.

Methinks you are wound too tightly. Have a cocktail-- or 12.

cruisin
06-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Methinks you are wound too tightly. Have a cocktail-- or 12.

Me thinks you are rude. That was uncalled for.

Jayar
06-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Me thinks you are rude. That was uncalled for.

Not rude. Just honest.:P

cruisin
06-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Not rude. Just honest.:P

No, just an opinionated, self righteous, poster on a skating board. Who knows nothing about the people she insults and likes to feel superior to. Sad for you.

Artemis@BC
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Artemis@BC & Theatregirl1122, I can only ask if you've seen Book of Mormon. I've heard that the play does not mock the Mormon church, before. But, I saw it and it does. It don't just ridicule blind faith, it is pretty specific in it's mockery of Mormon faith. And one line in particular bothered me, when Jesus called one of the Mormons a dick.

Yes, I saw the play. And own the CD and have listened to the music a zillion times. I wouldn't presume to offer my view about it if I didn't know what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Of course you're completely entitled to your opinion. But I do think you're confusing mockery with satire. Mockery is mean-spirited and petty. There is nothing mean-spirited or petty about this play -- and if you saw or read anything from Trey Parker or Matt Stone, their respect for the LDS church would be immediately obvious.

Satire, oth, is an artistic genre that uses irony for social commentary. Yes, specific practices of the LDS church are highlighted in the play (obviously, it's called The Book of Mormon), but they are examples to prove a point -- about fundamentalism, literalism, and blind faith. To further illustrate the point, the traditional beliefs of the tribal Ugandans are then held to the same satirical standard.

Obviously, The Book of Mormon is not for everyone. And that's fine -- there is no artform or work of art that is universally appreciated, understood, or enjoyed, and the more political or controversial a work is, the more polarizing it will be. But words still matter, even if you're only expressing an "opinion."