Theatregirl1122
05-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Yep, definitely on both counts.

my little pony
05-18-2012, 01:35 AM
on 30 Rock, Liz just said, "i don't bail, I am still watching Smash"

heckles
05-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Oh, and if Julia really is preggo (which I'm sure she is), 100 bucks says the baby is Michael Swift's.

Or we'll have a full annoying season of that suspicion, only for it to turn out to be her unlikable hubby's. Actually, pretty much everyone in this show is unlikable, except maybe Tom.

manhn
05-18-2012, 03:04 AM
I don't like Tom much. He treated Gay Republican like crap.

centerstage01
05-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Hallelujah, my prayers have been answered!

Ellis is out! (And three other people too.) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/smash-shakeup-four-stars-axed-327852)

jenny12
05-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Hallelujah, my prayers have been answered!

Ellis is out! (And three other people too.) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/smash-shakeup-four-stars-axed-327852)

I'm glad Ellis is gone but I didn't mind Raza Jaffrey or Brian d'Arcy James from an acting standpoint. Too bad it seems that the son is still there.

genevieve
05-23-2012, 02:14 AM
I was finally starting to enjoy Terrible Ellis :( No love lost for Will Chase, though. Good riddance! I didn't mind Brian d'Arcy James, but all of Julia's home life scenes just sapped the energy out of the show, so I can't complain if he's gone. Except that it makes NO SENSE to keep Slow Leo if everyone else from Julia's life is leaving :confused: (I'd also make the argument that Leo is more hated than Ellis....)

I liked Raza Jaffrey but they rather painted his character into a corner. Not much else to do with him, and I'd rather see Karen develop as a character, which she wasn't going to do with him. :(

Artemis@BC
05-29-2012, 10:28 PM
on 30 Rock, Liz just said, "i don't bail, I am still watching Smash"

:rofl:

soxxy
05-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Except that it makes NO SENSE to keep Slow Leo if everyone else from Julia's life is leaving (I'd also make the argument that Leo is more hated than Ellis....)

Hopefully he'll have one scene in the first episode where she's shipping him off.

Artemis@BC
05-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Hopefully he'll have one scene in the first episode where she's shipping him off.

They don't actually have to "do" anything with either husband or son -- all they have to do is not write any scenes/storylines for them. I'd actually prefer that, rather than having some convoluted storyline to send either one packing.

gkelly
05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
^^ I can think of a few: Glenn Close, Catherine Zeta Jones, Julia Roberts, Katie Holmes (not that she's a big star), Scarlet Johansson, Al Pacino, Daniel Radcliffe, and many more.

The one that popped into my head was Glenn Close, although from an earlier movie era were Angela Lansbury and even Katharine Hepburn.

Glenn Close had done musicals on Broadway before she ever made a movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Close
Rex (Broadway, 1976), Richard Rodgers-Sheldon Harnick musical about Henry VIII
Barnum (Charity Barnum, Broadway, 1980), Cy Coleman musical about Phineas T. Barnum

I wonder if, as a possible source of revenue for the show, the producers would license Bombshell to be performed in regional/community theater, a la High School Musical? Or even mount a production of their own? Between all the songs, dialogue sequences, sets, costumes, and choreography we've seen, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to turn it into a complete show.

I was wondering that too.

(Still catching up on back episodes, so I haven't read the last 2 pages of this thread yet)

Artemis@BC
05-31-2012, 04:38 PM
The biggest problem I foresee with season 2 -- at least in terms of its watchability for me -- is the music. The main attraction, and the only reason I didn't bail on this show, is the Bombshell music -- both the rehearsal/development versions and the final staged versions. But it's done now -- we've now seen & heard all the songs. So unless they come up with some excuse for having to write & produce a bunch of new songs (and really, that would have to be some excuse) ... what are they going to do for season 2? More pop covers? :scream:

reckless
05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
The biggest problem I foresee with season 2 -- at least in terms of its watchability for me -- is the music. The main attraction, and the only reason I didn't bail on this show, is the Bombshell music -- both the rehearsal/development versions and the final staged versions. But it's done now -- we've now seen & heard all the songs. So unless they come up with some excuse for having to write & produce a bunch of new songs (and really, that would have to be some excuse) ... what are they going to do for season 2? More pop covers? :scream:
Musicals go through massive rewrites even after out-of-town previews. So they could wind up writing a lot of new songs for the show before it opens on Broadway. And there's no reason why Tom and Julia can't also begin working on some side projects.

gkelly
06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Caught up now. :)

Reasons? Firstly, anyone in their right minds would have put Ivy in the lead. I'm sorry, but Karen has all the sparkle on stage of grey flannel. I was cringing during the USO number because McPhee's dancing was horrid and you can tell she's got no stage experience because she was not emoting to the back of the theater.

I actually enjoyed that number more than I expected.

But once they got well into the workshop I thought Ivy did a great job -- she had less vulnerability in the auditions but she was finding it. And she just looked like Marilyn Monroe, which neither Karen nor Rebecca did.

All the stuff going on with "Bombshell" is great. All the stuff going on with the individual characters is mind-numbing boring. I'd get rid of Julia's family, Ellis, Dev, and Eileen's bartender. Well, I can take the bartender guy in small doses, but all the others have got to go.

But I definitely agree that the creation of the musical needs to take center stage and all the rest of it needs to be massively reduced. But it seems like they are going in the exact opposite direction.

I'm sure all the away-from-theatre drama was added to create plotlines from characters' personal lives that threaten the production. But whenever they're away, they're not telling the main story.
Clearly the solution would be to have everyone involved with the production personally involved with each other in complicated ways (not just love affairs) that can provide those kinds of threats. ;)

To be honest, I think this is exactly the kind of musical that I would LOATHE if I actually saw it on Broadway. It's just so painfully old fashioned for me. Nothing modern or innovative about it.

I haven't seen enough new musical theatre lately to know whether I would prefer modern and innovative. It would probably depend on the specific show/production. I don't think I would hate Bombshell, but it wouldn't be my favorite either, mainly because I'm not sufficiently fascinated with Marilyn Monroe to care that much about a story focused on her life.

I did enjoy the production numbers we saw, got bored with the ballads despite some strong singing. We didn't see much of the actual story between the songs, but then, as Rebecca complained, there wasn't much.

cruisin
06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
I haven't seen enough new musical theatre lately to know whether I would prefer modern and innovative. It would probably depend on the specific show/production.

I recently saw Memphis and Book of Mormon. While they are both new plays, I don't know that there was anything terribly innovative about either of them. Unless you consider the prolific use of the word fcuk, in Book of Mormon. I am not a South Park fan, so I was skeptical about Book of Mormon. It was funny, in some spots, but not as "great' as has been promoted. I think it just bothers me that a religion is being mocked. It just seems wrong. And I am not a fan of the Mormon Church, I just don't like the idea of mocking it.