PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26

chipso1
05-15-2012, 04:05 AM
That was good.

cruisin
05-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Didn't watch tonight. Watched the Devils/Rangers game. I DVD'd it.

manhn
05-15-2012, 05:06 AM
That was not bad. But then, I like Karen.

I think they need to give Julia an entirely new identity. They can pull an "All My Children", where her family goes upstairs to the attic and never return. That's basically what they did with BastardLeadActor's family.

Ellis is gone, right? Right? Please have him be gone!

I am unsure about the new showrunner as Gossip Girl sucks worse than Smash. But I will be back. I want to see how the show plays on Broadway. The show's biggest strength is that the musical itself is quite good. There is a solid foundation there.

Spareoom
05-15-2012, 05:35 AM
That was quite good! That Ivy is such a jerk though. She has been pretty mistreated throughout the whole show but that was low, even for her. I was 8-o when she pulled out the pills, though. How very Marilyn.

Was that the season finale or is there more? I guess it's not very good that I can't tell. :p

wouldacoulda
05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I worked on SMASH as a background actress, and have to say that the production was overall a tad scattered. I also got the impression that it isn't a happy set to work on. Don't know if it will make it to a second season - exactly how far can this story go once they get to Broadway? It's not like the characters are that compelling. It was more about the production numbers and the question of who would eventually get the role that kept me tuning in. Lord knows the other storylines are not that interesting (or well-written, or well-acted...) This of course coming from a person who was hired to walk back and forth and say no lines.

cruisin
05-15-2012, 02:43 PM
That was quite good! That Ivy is such a jerk though. She has been pretty mistreated throughout the whole show but that was low, even for her. I was 8-o when she pulled out the pills, though. How very Marilyn.

Maybe a deliberate "how very Marilyn". A last ditch effort to proves she is Marilyn. What she did stinks.

centerstage01
05-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks wouldacoulda for your POV! NBC did announce that Smash was getting a second season but it's not returning until January, and with a new showrunner, so who knows what will happen. I...am not sure I'll stick with it.

Reasons? Firstly, anyone in their right minds would have put Ivy in the lead. I'm sorry, but Karen has all the sparkle on stage of grey flannel. I was cringing during the USO number because McPhee's dancing was horrid and you can tell she's got no stage experience because she was not emoting to the back of the theater. No big body movements, no stretch, no trying to reach the people in the nosebleed seats. Megan Hilty knows how to do all this and trying to make the audience believe Karen is this wunderkind over Ivy is ludicrous. And a possible suicide attempt cliffhanger?? If my eyes roll any harder you could hear them.

Second, are you REALLY going to go there with a possible pregnancy storyline for Julia?!?! How stupidly cliche! She couldn't just barf over all the stress of this stupid musical? Her hanging-by-a-thread marriage? Ellis trying to poison her coffee?

And speaking of that little sh*t, after his confession to Eileen that he put the peanuts in Rebecca's smoothie, why on EARTH was he not arrested for attempted murder? Instead he just gets fired and stomps off in a huff, nostrils flaring, declaring that they've not heard the last of this. Please tell me he walked outside and was promptly hit by a bus and dragged for a few blocks just to make sure he was finished off. Honestly, his character may be the final straw for me.

All the stuff going on with "Bombshell" is great. All the stuff going on with the individual characters is mind-numbing boring. I'd get rid of Julia's family, Ellis, Dev, and Eileen's bartender. Well, I can take the bartender guy in small doses, but all the others have got to go.

Norlite
05-16-2012, 12:27 AM
All of the above.

viennese
05-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Thanks wouldacoulda for your POV! ...
Second, are you REALLY going to go there with a possible pregnancy storyline for Julia?!?! How stupidly cliche! She couldn't just barf over all the stress of this stupid musical? Her hanging-by-a-thread marriage? Ellis trying to poison her coffee?

up close with the stars and Julia's scarves!

I almost barfed with laughter when Derek snarled "She's MINE!" to Karen's naught fiance, then slammed the door to the theatre. Exit with a flourish, like the Phantom of the Opera.

Theatregirl1122
05-16-2012, 04:22 AM
All the stuff going on with "Bombshell" is great. All the stuff going on with the individual characters is mind-numbing boring. I'd get rid of Julia's family, Ellis, Dev, and Eileen's bartender. Well, I can take the bartender guy in small doses, but all the others have got to go.

I would agree, except I don't want them to get rid of Christian Borle's chorus member boyfriend storyline. Really, the more Christian Borle the better*. But I definitely agree that the creation of the musical needs to take center stage and all the rest of it needs to be massively reduced. But it seems like they are going in the exact opposite direction.

To be honest, I think this is exactly the kind of musical that I would LOATHE if I actually saw it on Broadway. It's just so painfully old fashioned for me. Nothing modern or innovative about it. I've seen Broadway revivals in the last two years that seem FAR more fresh than this seems to me. And I thought that the final number was one of Karen's better performances but the lyrics are just irritatingly cliche.

*I'm a bit biased.

centerstage01
05-16-2012, 04:40 AM
No, I like Tom and want to see him stay. (I like Christian Borle, too.) I don't even mind his boyfriend just *keep it in the background* along with all the other interpersonal relationship stuff with every other character. If it has nothing to do with Bombshell, it should be secondary.

Theatregirl1122
05-16-2012, 04:43 AM
No, I like Tom and want to see him stay. (I like Christian Borle, too.) I don't even mind his boyfriend just *keep it in the background* along with all the other interpersonal relationship stuff with every other character. If it has nothing to do with Bombshell, it should be secondary.

I didn't think you wanted to get rid of Tom. I just actually like his boyfriend storyline as opposed to most of the interpersonal stuff.

Bostonfan
05-16-2012, 11:58 AM
And speaking of that little sh*t, after his confession to Eileen that he put the peanuts in Rebecca's smoothie, why on EARTH was he not arrested for attempted murder? Instead he just gets fired and stomps off in a huff, nostrils flaring, declaring that they've not heard the last of this. Please tell me he walked outside and was promptly hit by a bus and dragged for a few blocks just to make sure he was finished off. Honestly, his character may be the final straw for me.

Why because that would make sense. Instead we'll likely be faced with Ellis reporting to the authorities that Karen did the deed - being that she was the understudy. Thus causing scandal for "Bombshell" and a need for Ivy to step in. However Eileen will then testify that Ellis admitted it to her, which is why she fired him, yada, yada. :rolleyes:

AliasJohnDoe
05-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Debra Messing talks "Smash" season 2:
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/05/smash-season-2-debra-messing-and-leslie-odom-jr-theorize.html

Spareoom
05-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Oh, and if Julia really is preggo (which I'm sure she is), 100 bucks says the baby is Michael Swift's.