PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Impromptu
01-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Just watched the sneak peak premier on Youtube (had to do something between the SD and the Men's SP). It's really ... cliched and soapy, but it does cliched and soapy so very well, that I enjoyed every second of it.

I'll definitely tune in for a few more episodes and see if it stays this much fun.

FiveRinger
01-28-2012, 04:25 PM
The show may be predictable, but Alex Wong is in it - at least the opening episode. He was injured and reappears later. That alone will make me tune in. :)

Me too!

oleada
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
A college friend is going to be on this :cheer2:

Ozzisk8tr
01-30-2012, 03:50 PM
A college friend is going to be on this :cheer2:

Ooh, what part? Please don't be "Lisa" in the first episode auditions...

reckless
02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
After all the hype, this finally premieres tonight.

I've watched the pilot on Youtube. It felt very predictable and I was not very impressed with either Kat McPhee or Debra Messing, which worries me for the future. What I found more than anything, though, was that I wanted Aaron Sorkin to be writing the plots and dialogue. The show's dialogue and characters should have been sharp from the start, and it just wasn't.

Now some spoiler thoughts:

Nothing about Kat McPhee screamed "star" to me in her audition That audition would have caused everyone to laugh hysterically, not have orgasms. But if they really wanted her audition to be such a huge moment, it would have been a lot better if they set the episode up so that it build to the audition. Everything else could have been set and they could have made it seem like Ivy was set, but they had to go through the motions of auditions. Then, boom, at the end of the episode, McPhee walks in, blows everyone away, and episode ends. That would have been much more dramatic.

Perhaps it's because I've seen Megan Hilty on stage, but she seems so far superior to McPhee for the role of Marilyn that I fail to see why there is any debate, Yet with all the emphasis on McPhee's character, her family, the sweet boyfriend, etc., it feels like I'm supposed to be rooting for her to get the part.

I'm a huge fan of Marc Shaiman, so I hope the other original songs are better than National Pastime.

Smarmy director and eager assistant were both such cliches, the show should have reconsidered them. The only way assistant should ever havre been hired back is if he threatened to sue over the idea of doing the Marilyn musical.

oleada
02-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Ooh, what part? Please don't be "Lisa" in the first episode auditions...

Lol. I think he's just in the background. He's got a great voice, and is super cute in a twink kind of way ;)

Ozzisk8tr
02-07-2012, 02:38 AM
After all the hype, this finally premieres tonight.

I've watched the pilot on Youtube. It felt very predictable and I was not very impressed with either Kat McPhee or Debra Messing, which worries me for the future. What I found more than anything, though, was that I wanted Aaron Sorkin to be writing the plots and dialogue. The show's dialogue and characters should have been sharp from the start, and it just wasn't.

Now some spoiler thoughts:

Nothing about Kat McPhee screamed "star" to me in her audition That audition would have caused everyone to laugh hysterically, not have orgasms. But if they really wanted her audition to be such a huge moment, it would have been a lot better if they set the episode up so that it build to the audition. Everything else could have been set and they could have made it seem like Ivy was set, but they had to go through the motions of auditions. Then, boom, at the end of the episode, McPhee walks in, blows everyone away, and episode ends. That would have been much more dramatic.

Perhaps it's because I've seen Megan Hilty on stage, but she seems so far superior to McPhee for the role of Marilyn that I fail to see why there is any debate, Yet with all the emphasis on McPhee's character, her family, the sweet boyfriend, etc., it feels like I'm supposed to be rooting for her to get the part.

I'm a huge fan of Marc Shaiman, so I hope the other original songs are better than National Pastime.

Smarmy director and eager assistant were both such cliches, the show should have reconsidered them. The only way assistant should ever havre been hired back is if he threatened to sue over the idea of doing the Marilyn musical.

After sitting on audition boards and watching people murder songs, if someone like Mcphee came in and sang like she does I can pretty much guarantee she would get a callback. (The C.A. song Beautiful is very right for a Marilyn Monroe audition song). There are a whole lot of tricks to auditioning to get noticed, so much of it is about thinking outside the box, while not swaying too far from what the role requires. You're always looking for something "fresh" that still portrays the role. Hilty to me was typical, and therefore uninspiring. She also had so much cheese about her I could almost hear my arteries clogging up. More than likely directed that way, but Mcphee was "fresh". Still, it's good that we have our differing opinions.

rfisher
02-07-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm looking forward to this. Glee bores me. I don't care about high school drama so hope this is grown up.

4rkidz
02-07-2012, 03:12 AM
thank goodness NBC finally stopped saying "and introducing Katherine McPhee" in their promos. We met her like 5 years ago, people!

Looking forward to this show!

I'm slow.. I just figured out who she is :lol:

jenny12
02-07-2012, 03:15 AM
I'm looking forward to this. Glee bores me. I don't care about high school drama so hope this is grown up.

I'm also looking forward to this (I'm on the West Coast). I liked Glee at first, but it became tiresome. Hope Smash is good.

my little pony
02-07-2012, 03:18 AM

whenever i hear someone say they are obsessed with marilyn monroe i assume they are mentally unstable. i cant take a whole season of an off ice version of makarova's LP.

rfisher
02-07-2012, 03:19 AM
I was disappointed they didn't mention that when they were listing all the Marilyn projects. :lol:

4rkidz
02-07-2012, 03:25 AM
well I was looking forward to this.. but it's not happening.. I'm finding it really slow and boring.. not enough music just bad writing.. :shuffle:

Pretty Vegas
02-07-2012, 03:27 AM
This is my third time watching the pilot - I love it. :)

soxxy
02-07-2012, 03:28 AM
well I was looking forward to this.. but it's not happening.. I'm finding it really slow and boring.. not enough music just bad writing.. :shuffle:

I wish Debra Messing was single on the show. Maybe they'll get the back stories out of the way.