Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Rob
04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
ew.com has a decent recrap of the episode,

Recrap :lol:

genevieve
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Recrap :lol:

I started using that a few years ago for the recap episodes that Survivor tends to do in the middle of the season...so aggravating, and rarely with any new info. recrap indeed! :drama: and then it just stuck :P

manhn
04-24-2012, 10:46 PM
In the EW commentators' defence, I cannot sit through any musical performances by Michael even though I am sure the actor is quite talented (based on that awful Bruno Mars number, before I hated the character).

How many more episodes does Uma have? I wonder if her character is based on anyone. I can't think of too many movie star actresses starring in a Broadway musical. The only one that pops in my head is Christina Applegate, who is hardly an A-Star movie actress who could pull those diva stunts without some consequences.

cruisin
04-24-2012, 10:54 PM
^^ I can think of a few: Glenn Close, Catherine Zeta Jones, Julia Roberts, Katie Holmes (not that she's a big star), Scarlet Johansson, Al Pacino, Daniel Radcliffe, and many more.

skatingfan5
04-24-2012, 10:56 PM
How many more episodes does Uma have? I wonder if her character is based on anyone. I can't think of too many movie star actresses starring in a Broadway musical. The only one that pops in my head is Christina Applegate, who is hardly an A-Star movie actress who could pull those diva stunts without some consequences.The one that popped into my head was Glenn Close, although from an earlier movie era were Angela Lansbury and even Katharine Hepburn.

numbers123
04-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Brooke Shields?

Theatregirl1122
04-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Catherine Zeta Jones, everyone who has been in Chicago for the last decade or so... (Melanie Griffith, Ashlee Simpson, Christie Brinkley, Sofía Vergara)

cruisin
04-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Catherine Zeta Jones, everyone who has been in Chicago for the last decade or so... (Melanie Griffith, Ashlee Simpson, Christie Brinkley, Sofía Vergara)

I don't consider Christie Brinkley a star. She was a model (and a royal beyotch), but not an actress.

soxxy
04-25-2012, 08:55 PM
As was confirmed earlier, the show is renewed, but with some changes:

In a signal that NBC and the show’s producers may believe the future of “Smash” lies more in its soap opera elements than its inside look at the creation of a Broadway musical, the new guiding creative hand on the series is going to be Joshua Safran, an executive producer of the glossy CW soap “Gossip Girl.”

And:

The questions the show faces going forward include whether NBC will return the series in the fall, or wait until midseason again, when it would be able to run all its episodes without the interruption of repeats, and whether NBC will be able to move the drama from behind its one true hit, “The Voice.”

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/a-new-leader-and-maybe-direction-for-smash/?ref=television

genevieve
04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
hmmm, that's really troubling. For me, the strength of the show is in the making of the Broadway show - and the delicious soapy parts of that story. The further away from the show storyline the soap gets, the less interesting it is.

In other words: anything with Elaine (the soapiest character on the show)? GOOD
Anything involving Julia's non-scriptwriting life? AWFUL

Artemis@BC
04-25-2012, 09:58 PM
... Daniel Radcliffe ...

Swooping in to defend my Daniel!

a. He started as a stage actor (that's how he was "discovered" for Harry Potter) so he comes by it honestly, and b. he worked really, really, really hard for his role in How to Succeed, and took it very seriously. Yeah, you could tell he was thinking hard through all his song & dance numbers, he's definitely not a natural triple-threat, but he didn't embarrass himself either.

BTW, I'm naming "Don't Say Yes Until I Finish Talking" as the earwormiest of all the Bombshell numbers so far. It's been in my head for two weeks now. But in a really good way. :D

Theatregirl1122
04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
hmmm, that's really troubling. For me, the strength of the show is in the making of the Broadway show - and the delicious soapy parts of that story. The further away from the show storyline the soap gets, the less interesting it is.

In other words: anything with Elaine (the soapiest character on the show)? GOOD
Anything involving Julia's non-scriptwriting life? AWFUL

Agreed. I think they are choosing the wrong direction.

Although, ANYTHING with Tom that doesnt' also involve Julia's non-scriptwriting life: AWESOME. (I adore Christian Borle. I'm going to see Starcatcher in a week and I'm super excited. Lol.)

I don't consider Christie Brinkley a star. She was a model (and a royal beyotch), but not an actress.

That wasn't really my point. Especially since I barely know who she is.

a. He started as a stage actor (that's how he was "discovered" for Harry Potter) so he comes by it honestly, and b. he worked really, really, really hard for his role in How to Succeed, and took it very seriously. Yeah, you could tell he was thinking hard through all his song & dance numbers, he's definitely not a natural triple-threat, but he didn't embarrass himself either.

Actually, I thought Daniel was excellent in How to Succeed. Neither of the two actors who have followed him have done as well. Daniel's characterization in that role kind of made the show. It's not that interesting of a part, to me, and he really made something out of it. Darren Criss really just didn't have the chops and Nick Jonas is actually slightly better at the singing, from what I can tell (it's a part that is much better for him vocally than Marius) but doesn't have Daniel's charm at all.

Theatregirl1122
04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
sorry, double post

Artemis@BC
04-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Actually, I thought Daniel was excellent in How to Succeed. Neither of the two actors who have followed him have done as well. Daniel's characterization in that role kind of made the show. It's not that interesting of a part, to me, and he really made something out of it. Darren Criss really just didn't have the chops and Nick Jonas is actually slightly better at the singing, from what I can tell (it's a part that is much better for him vocally than Marius) but doesn't have Daniel's charm at all.

I thought he (Radcliffe) was good, even very good in parts ... but I wouldn't go as far as excellent. But only because of his mediocre singing & dancing. I agree that his acting abilities made the part come alive, though, and "charm" is definitely the right word. But in the end I was actually more impressed by Laroquette than Radcliffe. (Though it's an easier part.)

Haven't seen Criss or Jonas so I can't comment on them.

cruisin
04-25-2012, 11:59 PM

BTW, I'm naming "Don't Say Yes Until I Finish Talking" as the earwormiest of all the Bombshell numbers so far. It's been in my head for two weeks now. But in a really good way. :D

I wasn't dissing Daniel Radcliffe, so no need to defend him. And FTR, I saw him in How to Succeed, he was very good.

That wasn't really my point. Especially since I barely know who she is.

That's okay, I just can't stand Brinkley (I have good reasons) and cringe at the thought of anyone thinking she's an actress. :D