PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

manhn
03-15-2012, 02:36 AM
What I do like is when Julia is talking to Tom about the affair - it comes across as believable, she's sympathetic, and Tom is a great friend who withholds judgment but tells his BFF she needs to get her shit together before everything falls apart.

I think I'm like the only person watching this show who likes Karen and sometimes finds Ivy sympathetic and interesting

I still like Julia and I think Debra Messing is the best actor on the show. Her many years of TV experience is helping her out when the writers are screwing with her. If this storyline ends up with Tom and her family being written out, then that may actually help her character out.

I prefer Karen over Ivy. The actress who plays Ivy is so stagey. Her fake laughs annoy the hell out of me.

Theatregirl1122
03-15-2012, 04:04 AM
I don't hate it because it's adultery (a common and effective staple of nighttime soaps); I hate it because it's poorly written, the adulterers have no chemistry, and most of all it's BORING.

Word. So much word.

I think I'm like the only person watching this show who likes Karen :shuffle: and sometimes finds Ivy sympathetic and interesting :shuffle:

No, I am with you, here, too.

But basically I think this show needs to be about Tom and Julia's friendship and their work on the show. The show lacks focus. And good ideas. And believable casting. And dear god, send Julia's son to boarding school. He can't act.

genevieve
03-15-2012, 04:29 AM
But basically I think this show needs to be about Tom and Julia's friendship and their work on the show.
I think they're deliberately not going there because that show was already quite successful when it was called Will and Grace :P (although Anjelica Huston as Karen Walker 2.0 is just too too delicious)

And dear god, send Julia's son to boarding school. He can't act.
If Julia's affair gets out and her husband takes the brat and leaves her for good, this stupid adultery plot will be worth it.

manhn
03-15-2012, 04:47 AM
As long as the husband and son move away and Julia keeps the Brownstone (because, OMG, I WANT!) then even better. The douchebag can go back to that Bruno Mars show.

And perhaps give Julia an assistant. Right now, she doesn't have a really close relationship with anyone on the show except for Tom (who is also BFFs with Ivy and that hate it/love it tension with the assy director).

Fortunately, the series is still new and can still iron these problems out. For the most part, the least popular characters are the most extraneous so can easily be written out without it affecting the core of the show. Yes, there are people who hate Karen or Ivy but I just find those people like those annoying skater ubers and is inevitable when you set up the show the way they did.

One thing they need to improve ASAP, however, is the songs. I think it's to the point that they should just focus on the songs in the musical and stop doing any covers. They do not work. Glee does them sooooo much better.

genevieve
03-15-2012, 07:02 AM
to be honest, even Glee needs to knock it off with the current songs.

chantilly
03-16-2012, 12:35 AM
to be honest, even Glee needs to knock it off with the current songs.

It depends on who you talk to about this stuff. I am on a glee fan forum and it seems that people complain when there is too much broadway and yet people complain when there isn't enough broadway. People want more of the current pop stuff. But they complain about that too.:lol: However for the most part I think Glee chooses better pop songs to cover than Smash. But it is early going.

But I like Karen and Ivy too. I think Ivy is the most interesting because her real persona is much different than the sunshiny everything is OK stuff she sometimes does. And I think this is pretty realistic of a portrayal of a young struggling actress on Broadway.

Theatregirl1122
03-16-2012, 06:24 AM
I think they're deliberately not going there because that show was already quite successful when it was called Will and Grace :P (although Anjelica Huston as Karen Walker 2.0 is just too too delicious)

Yes, and it was so much better!

Okay, let me refine. The TV show needs to be about the musical. And Tom and Julia's creative process. The only on-the side bits that are working for me right now are Karen and Dev and somewhat Ivy.

flutzilla1
03-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I prefer Karen over Ivy. The actress who plays Ivy is so stagey. Her fake laughs annoy the hell out of me.

ITA. Ivy really comes across as a spoiled brat sometimes, especially when she is snarking about Karen. :rolleyes:

Marilou
03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes, and it was so much better!

Okay, let me refine. The TV show needs to be about the musical. And Tom and Julia's creative process. The only on-the side bits that are working for me right now are Karen and Dev and somewhat Ivy.

Completely agree with this.

nypanda
03-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Thought y'all might get a kick out of THIS FUNNY BLOG (http://www.broadwayabridged.com/scripts/smash-01-05.html#more)

genevieve
03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
SMASH: For people who love Grey's
Anatomy, and can't get their husbands
to go to musicals with them.
Ouch! :lol:

Marilou
03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Thought y'all might get a kick out of THIS FUNNY BLOG (http://www.broadwayabridged.com/scripts/smash-01-05.html#more)

Thank you for that! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Artemis@BC
03-16-2012, 09:02 PM

:lol:

This bit pretty well summed up my frustrations with the writing:

JACK DAVENPORT
.... Megan Hilty, you need some vocal help.
Go get help from Katharine McPhee instead of, I dunno,
the MUSICAL DIRECTOR.

MEGAN HILTY
I used to be a class act when this series started, but now
I'm just going to be a big bag of bitch because we ran out of
anything for me to do!

KATHARINE MCPHEE
That's okay, I keep changing my mind about how professional a
performer I am or am not depending on the scene's random
needs. Am I sexy? Does being sexy gross me out? I'll nev--

MEGAN HILTY
DON'T YOU DOWNTALK ME!

manhn
03-20-2012, 04:32 AM
So, I think the actual musical is quite strong. I enjoyed it.

The actual show? Yikes! At least Michael is gone (uhm, right?) but what happened to the punching scene? Julia's son crying is something I don't need to see again.

And sorry, Bernadette Peters' song took FOREVER. Honestly, stop doing songs that don't have anything to do with the musical.

genevieve
03-20-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm convinced that Leo is supposed to be mentally slow. it's the only explanation for Emory Cohen's performance.

I did enjoy this exchange though:

Leo: :yikes: What are you doing here?!?
Julia: I live here.
Leo: You're supposed to be at rehearsal!!
Julia: And you're supposed to not be smoking pot.

More Eileen and Nick! :swoon: