PDA

View Full Version : NBC's Smash.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Artemis@BC
03-03-2012, 12:44 AM
It's not that I didn't like her singing. I am just tired of everyone singing Adele.

For me, I'm just tired of everyone singing pop, period. I mean, I know they have to sell their stuff on iTunes, but c'mon, this is a show about Broadway. If they can't write 3 "Marilyn" show songs a week (and really, that would be unrealistic), it's not like there aren't about a million great Broadway tunes that would fit whatever the scene/theme/issue was.

The most stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb example of this was, IMO, the Bruno Mars "audition" for Michael. They were all "Isn't he fantastic." Well, sure, but it was so completely far removed from anything they'd want him to do in their show. I was unconvinced ... and then they did Mr & Mrs Smith, and I was a fan.

If I wanted endless pop covers, I'd still be watching Glee.

Ok. End of rant.

Wyliefan
03-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Excellent rant, Artemis.

Theatregirl1122
03-03-2012, 02:38 AM
The most stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb example of this was, IMO, the Bruno Mars "audition" for Michael. They were all "Isn't he fantastic." Well, sure, but it was so completely far removed from anything they'd want him to do in their show. I was unconvinced ... and then they did Mr & Mrs Smith, and I was a fan.

But that wasn't his audition. They were going to see a show he was already in. In this case, apparently a juke box musical based on the music of Bruno Mars featuring the cast of Rent.

nypanda
03-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Yeah...and if you're auditioning for NY theatre these days, unless its R&H or Sondheim stock, they ask you to sing pop...

Jayar
03-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Yeah...and if you're auditioning for NY theatre these days, unless its R&H or Sondheim stock, they ask you to sing pop...

That wasn't the way it was just 2 years ago when I was auditioning.

genevieve
03-03-2012, 04:45 AM
I agree in general about the overuse of pop songs on the show, but I loved the Bruno Mars show thingie - it was just so awful it was awesome :lol:

nypanda
03-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Wow, really Jayar? Is Telsey casting anything that doesn't require a pop/popra sound anymore? Honest question -- I'm not being snarky. I've been in the business 26 years now...this issue was actually one the things that helped me move on.

manhn
03-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Smash should just be one of those procedurals that I never watch because whenever the show leaves the jobplace (i.e. the workshop), this show SUCKS. The two cover songs were AWFUL AWFUL and embarrassing. And I like Debra Messing, but I don't think she can carry the dramatic weight of her storylines (the awful adoption storyline and now this superawful adultery storyline). Can't we just keep her as a supercompetent composer who hates Ellis?

BTW, what in the world does she see in this actor dude? I haven't liked him in any of the songs so far and he's douche with a baby and wife who is trying to bang a married woman. Are we supposed to root for this couple?

And Karen has virtually no basis in hating RJ. Of course, she'll probably be right that RJ is eville but whatever. I have no clue (or interest, really) why they were keeping the name of the press secretary so hush hush.

LadyNit
03-06-2012, 07:23 AM
have to agree that Debra Messing's acting SUCKS. and i can't stand the woman who has the Marilyn role. All the plot developments are :rolleyes: I wanted to like this show and be able to sit back and enjoy, but its a mess. I give it one more chance... but only one more. :drama:

julieann
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I think everyone is over the top except Katherine who isn't trying hard enough. I'll keep watching, I have nothing better to do but I hear the show is on life support.

genevieve
03-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I thought last night's episode was really good :shuffle:

I also wonder what Julia sees in Will Chase (now that I know the actor is similar to the character, I can't let go of that name :D ), but if her son's lame pot bust can somehow screw up the adoption to that plotline goes away, Will can Chase Julia all he wants.

cruisin
03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Not sure what this means, I fell asleep half way through ;)

Rob
03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
I thought last week's was good and this week it took a dive again. I am back on the one more week fence.

Kruss
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I've actually given up. The whole Julia adultry storyline is ridiculous, and the stereotypical "my bf works with a beautiful woman, therefore she is my rival" storyline for Karen is truly eye-rolling.

I'm done.

cruisin
03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I've actually given up. The whole Julia adultry storyline is ridiculous, and the stereotypical "my bf works with a beautiful woman, therefore she is my rival" storyline for Karen is truly eye-rolling.

I'm done.

I get the feeling that something is being set up.