PDA

View Full Version : Did you know that Dick Button had an acting career?

Pages : [1] 2

aftershocks
01-23-2012, 07:52 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Button

I guess the fact that Dick Button acted in a number of movies, tv shows, and Broadway plays is not that surprising, since of course Dick won two Olympic gold medals (1948 and 1952).

However, I never knew that Dick had an acting career. His resume is pretty amazing when you add in all of his skating accomplishments on the ice, in the broadcast booth, and as a producer of ice skating events, along with his acting credits. I don't recall Terry Gannon ever bringing up Dick's acting career during any broadcasts to affectionately rib Dick, as Terry often enjoyed doing (so perhaps Terry isn't aware of it either). :)

Another thing I learned is that Dick had suffered a head injury about 22 years before he fell in 2000 and hit his head on the ice at a public rink. He is very fortunate to have successfully recovered from both of these head traumas.

In one of manleywoman's fascinating interviews, Frank Carroll also revealed that he tried his hand at acting too for a short time after he retired from amateur skating.

skateboy
01-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Here's Uncle Dickie's page on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0125413/

DORISPULASKI
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
I've always been impressed by the fact that he won an Emmy in 1981 for Outstanding Sport-Personality-Analyst.

Also that he created "Superstars" & "Superteams", really the two first reality competitions. They were very popular back in the day. Top athletes competed against each other in sports they were not accustomed to compete in, with the idea of determining the best all around athlete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars

In fact, in a reversal of the usual process, the BBC picked up the idea and also did a Superstars type competition.

The show featured some very memorable scenes, particularly the efforts of heavily muscled athletes to swim, and some nearly sinking, some very funny bowling segments, and boating segments.

Frau Muller
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I just watched the 1958 "Hans Brinker" TV movie DVD in which Dick both acts and skates, in the role of Peter, best friend of Hans. Highly recommended!

Rex
01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I think Tab Hunter gave Dick acting lessons, did he not?

Scintillation
01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
God I miss having him in the commentator's booth. He was an integral part of what made watching skating so magical for me when I was a kid. I can never use the word "exquisite" without thinking of him. Scott is alright, but Sandra makes me want to throw something every time I hear her voice.

DORISPULASKI
01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
They should replace Sandra with either Tanith Belbin or Judy Blumberg or Susie Wynne, all of whom have better speaking voices. Furthermore, Tanith & Judy both know the current rules 100x better than Sandra, and actually have something to say. And I always liked Susie-she was always very perceptive about the skating while being as kind to the competitors as possible.

Sandra's voice unfortunately sounds so snotty, it makes you want to hurl even when she is right. And when she is just making up COP rules that don't exist as she goes along, it makes me want to double hurl.

Jenny
01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
I think Tab Hunter gave Dick acting lessons, did he not?

In Tab's memoir, he describes how thrilled he was to work with Dick on the movie, and mentions that he was a good actor too. No mention of him giving him lessons though.

For those who don't know, Tab was a competitive figure skater in his youth, under his real name of Arthur Gelien. He had a relationship with Ronnie Robertson at one point as well.

Sasha'sSpins
01-24-2012, 12:59 AM
God I miss having him in the commentator's booth. He was an integral part of what made watching skating so magical for me when I was a kid. I can never use the word "exquisite" without thinking of him. Scott is alright, but Sandra makes me want to throw something every time I hear her voice.

Dick is gold in the commentating booth imo. Scott is pewter, Sandra doesn't place. :scream:

I had heard of Button's acting endeavors but I've never seen them (or maybe I don't remember. I did see Hans Brinker on tv as a child.)

Rex
01-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Dick is gold in the commentating booth imo. Scott is pewter, Sandra doesn't place. :scream:
Sandra is so bad that she cost her team a spot.

manleywoman
01-24-2012, 02:47 AM
Oh, how I want to interview Uncle Dickie for the podcast.:drama:

aftershocks
01-24-2012, 05:02 AM
^^ I really hope you get that opportunity one day soon, manleywoman! Please keep trying. Uncle Dickie not only won Olympic gold twice, he is golden -- a veritable National Treasure. I'm certain Dick has so many interesting stories to tell that such an interview will fly by, and you'll need more than double the time to get in at least half the questions you'll have. :)

skateboy
01-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Sandra is so bad that she cost her team a spot.

:lol:

geena
01-25-2012, 03:14 AM
I've got a pic from "Hans Brinker" in "Skating on Air" on page 21... Dick, Peggy King and Tab Hunter... and their wooden shoes!

Manleywoman, I feel your pain about interviewing him. :-P

BigB08822
01-25-2012, 03:46 AM
I would prefer Sandra any day over Scott. I can't stand to listen to him scream his way through another jump and then explain how hard that is to do on tired legs.