PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: One World (Season 24)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26

Habs
05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks Catherine - please do continue to share with spoiler tags. I don't like game spoilers, but am more than happy to hear casting spoilers, although I know not everyone does.

^^ This for me too!

Prancer
05-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Thanks Catherine - please do continue to share with spoiler tags. I don't like game spoilers, but am more than happy to hear casting spoilers, although I know not everyone does.

Yes, sorry, I chopped off the spoiler tag when I quoted. It is fixed now.

When I said "no spoilers," I meant in MY reply to what should have been a spoilered quote.

Apologies to anyone who was spoiled before the cast list was released.

genevieve
05-17-2012, 07:05 AM
I managed to stay unspoiled (other than the fact that no one could have won against Kim), and finally watched.

1) CBS's video players SUCKS!!!! I had sound of commercials running through show video (and of course ad volume is higher than show volume and there's nothing you can do about it), and then the video cut out and I had sound only for the final TC and winner's reveal. :rolleyes:

2) Kim almost pulled an Amanda in the penultimate TC ("it hurt me so bad whenever I had to vote one of you off") but she rallied and then some for the final TC. Oddly, Sabrina - the most articulate of them all - kind of crumbled at the end. Maybe I would have felt differently if I'd had visuals, but I was shocked she got any votes after saying that she deliberately held back all game and that she let Kim take the "blame" (known as The Credit to anyone who knows anything about Survivor) for all the blindsides. I still love Sabrina but she wasn't playing to win.

3) Kim's answer to why she didn't bring Christina was brilliant. She didn't want to hand the worst player a million dollars if the jury was bitter, and if people were going to vote based on game play, she could bring the 2nd and 3rd best players with no fear.

4) Kat was surprisingly even keeled in her final TC, but all I could think was how stupid it is to go for another open heart surgery just to be able to bear children. I hope there are other reasons to have this surgery.

5) Oh, Christina. I was rooting for an upset in the final immunity challenge just to shake things up (even though it would have meant Sabrina going on the jury) but DAMN girl, you are terrible at this game.

6) Alicia, like so many women on Survivor, looks a thousand times better on the island after not bathing for weeks than she does "cleaned up".

7) the only guys I would have liked to have gone further in the game were Jonas and Troyzan. Jay was ok but brought nothing to the table strategically or in entertainment value - the rest of the guys were either awful or in the case of Leif, the male equivalent of Christina.

8) I never want to see or hear about Colton again. And am I the only one who would want to see Penner again? He is polarizing but I felt bad for the way he went out in fans v favorites

BaileyCatts
05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
So the winner of Survivor 26 will have nearly a year to wait from the end of tribal council to when they get their check from CBS next May.

:eek: Good lord, how are they ever gonna keep that under wraps for almost a year! Where's the nearest bookie .... I normally try to avoid Survivor spoilers, but I'll hunt them down for that one and place some bets! :lol:

Jenny
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
after saying that she deliberately held back all game and that she let Kim take the "blame" (known as The Credit to anyone who knows anything about Survivor) for all the blindsides. I still love Sabrina but she wasn't playing to win.

Yeah, juries don't want to hear that you held back on challenges when they busted their butts and didn't make it as far. Plus, no one believes you :lol:

Kim's answer to why she didn't bring Christina was brilliant. She didn't want to hand the worst player a million dollars if the jury was bitter, and if people were going to vote based on game play, she could bring the 2nd and 3rd best players with no fear.

Agree, and I was totally :respec: on that one. Players like Christina are the reason that they went to 3-person finals, so that the winner of the final challenge didn't simply choose a goat to go with them.

Alicia, like so many women on Survivor, looks a thousand times better on the island after not bathing for weeks than she does "cleaned up".

I had the opposite reaction. She's one of the few women I've thought actually looked much better on the jury and the finale. As I said before, I though Chelsea looked much worse with heavy eyeliner than the fresh-faced all American look she rocked without makeup, and I think Kat's wide eyed, slightly exotic look was ruined by her level 4 eye makeup on the jury.

Jay was ok but brought nothing to the table strategically or in entertainment value

Gotta disagree there - obviously for me he was :swoon: (which for many is sufficient entertainment value ;)) but I do think he was playing a good strategic game - they just chose to show us his two big mistakes (taking the food on that challenge, and letting his strategy slide when he got comfy thinking he was solid with Kim and Chelsea) instead of his strategies. I read an interview or two, and he actually did have an interesting approach going in, plus had Colton lasted things could have become very interesting, as they had a sekret alliance.

Sorry about the CBS player btw - we had it pvred on Global, and for the first few minutes we got visual plus soundtrack only - no voiceover or dialogue. Happily it came on near the end of the "previously on" segment.

genevieve
05-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Everyone and their mother agrees that the game would have been differently if Colton had stayed - and I am SO GLAD he left the game. Unfortunately, Jeff says on ew.com that's he's certain we'll see Colton again :rolleyes: I'm beginning to think that the driver behind the poor casting choices in recent seasons is Jeff Probst.

Jenny
05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Everyone and their mother agrees that the game would have been differently if Colton had stayed - and I am SO GLAD he left the game. Unfortunately, Jeff says on ew.com that's he's certain we'll see Colton again :rolleyes: I'm beginning to think that the driver behind the poor casting choices in recent seasons is Jeff Probst.

There have been some good ones, even this season, but how Christina got through casting is beyond me. Leif is another one - I'd hate to think they cast him for the novelty of it, because he was oblivious to the game and social dynamics.

Colton, while loathsome, at least was a student of the game who played very hard.

genevieve
05-17-2012, 03:47 PM
but that's the thing - in several of the recent seasons, casting has included numerous incredibly boring, unstrategic and flat out forgettable sheep, plus one or two alpha players, and one polarizing crazy person who was chosen for laughs/hatred. Christina, Leif and Colton all fit that pattern.

I didn't love this season - mixing the both-tribes-on-one-beach and the men/women tribe split into the same season was silly, Colton was an airtime suck whose removal makes me believe that god might just care about reality shows after all, and the end was predictable a month ago - but at least there were a couple of different strategic players, and even though Kim dominated at the end, she had to WORK for her position, much harder than some other winners who dominated throughout (cough*BostonRob*cough).

Even if Colton wasn't miraculously struck down in the prime of the game, if the men hadn't been so ineffably stupid as to give up tribal immunity, this would have been a really different game. I mean really - they all just collectively gave up the drive to win in that moment. :duh:

Erin
05-17-2012, 07:36 PM
There have been some good ones, even this season, but how Christina got through casting is beyond me. Leif is another one - I'd hate to think they cast him for the novelty of it, because he was oblivious to the game and social dynamics.

Christina and Leif both strike me as perfectly lovely people who I would be happy to know in real life, but who are not cut out for the game of Survivor. I agree that they were a waste of space in the game and it was so irritating to watch Christina in particular just sit back and not fight to make the final 3.

I didn't love this season

Aside from Colton, I really enjoyed this season. Perhaps it's because it was the first time we've seen the alpha female edit or because it was refreshing to see why the winner won (especially after Sophie last season). But I would put this as one of the better seasons. I would have loved to see a bit more surprise and excitement and it was a too bad that the idol was basically a non-issue...so it's not up there with Fans vs. Favorites, Heroes vs. Villains, or Cook Islands. But a big improvement over the last couple of seasons. Plus it's just such a relief to have a Hatch-free season that maybe that's why I'm willing to cut the show a bit of slack here.

genevieve
05-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Plus it's just such a relief to have a Hatch-free season that maybe that's why I'm willing to cut the show a bit of slack here.
Do you mean a Hantz-free season? ;) ITA there!

Fridge_Break
05-17-2012, 08:27 PM
While I agree that this season was not the best, I still rather enjoyed it. Moreso because I know that Survivor is not going to be around forever, and we really don't know how much longer it is going to be on the air, so I am on the "enjoy it while it lasts" train. I figure it's got at least a few more years in it, but I always fear that CBS might give it the axe when time comes to renew shows. I would have liked to see there be a bit more shakeups with the strategy, because while there was a TON of strategy going down (a lot more than recent seasons), it seemed like it all led up to nothing and the boots became quite predictable -- outside of Kat's elimination. I recently watched a few of the very early seasons, it seems like alliances were changing each episode on the Amazon. More of that would be awesome.

KHenry14
05-17-2012, 08:59 PM
FWIW, I gotta think that Probst's talk show wont last more than a season at most and that will put Survivor back on to it's normal schedule.

Like many of you, I don't understand the casting of the last few seasons. The tell you that they like big personalities, type A people when you audition, yet sheep like Leif and Christine are chosen. Even if their initial videos wasn't really who they are like, the additional screening they go through would have revealed their sheepishness and yet they were still cast. I don't get it. Plus, I don't like the crazy's they cast. I want less Phillip's and Tarzan's and more Cochrans.

BaileyCatts
05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
For how some of the people get thru casting, I've always figured they have to cast 3-4 boring, dull, unstrategic, useless, (insert your own word here) people so that the first couple of boots don't really affect the game. Its just sometimes those losers manage to get thru the the early boots due to their :sheep: status. :lol:

Prancer
05-17-2012, 09:28 PM
8) I never want to see or hear about Colton again. And am I the only one who would want to see Penner again? He is polarizing but I felt bad for the way he went out in fans v favorites

Yes, please, no more Colton. Although I think that if he does come back, no one will gift him with an idol and his butt will be booted early.

Otherwise I like Jonathon; I won't mind seeing him again. Not sure about Mike Skupin; Australia was a long time ago, so it's doubtful he's the beast he was then, and he's become ever-more-religious--meh. Russell, hmm, the main thing I remember about him is that he rejected a tarp in favor of pillows to keep the ladies happy, which I thought was the dumbest thing ever--and thought the women were stupid to whine that they wanted pillows. But what do I know?

Jenny
05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Russell, hmm, the main thing I remember about him is that he rejected a tarp in favor of pillows to keep the ladies happy, which I thought was the dumbest thing ever--and thought the women were stupid to whine that they wanted pillows. But what do I know?

I remember that! Funny thing is that while he was trying to create himself a little harem, it was the other Russell who managed to employe the strategy more successfully.

But I think his bigger problem, had he not left early, was that he was appointed or volunteered to be "leader" - Jeff used to actually encourage that, and I don't think it's something that works for any tribe.