PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: One World (Season 24)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26

PeterG
05-10-2012, 05:09 AM
He never shuts up because it's his job to distract the players and make it as hard for them as possible.

Jeff speaks so much because he thinks he has relevance and/or importance on this planet.

P.S. Does anyone think that any player other than Kim is worth even considering for a vote come finale night?

genevieve
05-10-2012, 05:13 AM
tonight's ep makes me annoyed all over again about the wasteful editing in the first half of the season. There is a ridiculous amount of strategy going on...combined with almost universal flip flopping! We've seen and heard for a while now that Christina will vote for whoever the last name she's told....but I'm now noticing that Kim keeps shifting who her magic F3 will be, usually depending on who she goes on the reward with. Can you imagine if she went on a reward with Christina? :P She's staying ahead of the curve, but can she keep it together for 2 more TCs?

We finally have an all-female final 5, and I'm pretty sure it's because it is NOT a single alliance. If they'd all been working together, someone would have flipped by now. Because there have been numerous sub-alliances, people have flipped and still managed to end up with a version of the original tribe and original alliance with Christina subbing for Kat the Brat.

I'm so tired of Alecia and her boobs and her conviction about running the show - but gotta admit, she's doing a damned good job right now :eek:

Very happy no one was talking about eliminating Sabrina this week.

I really hope this show provides post-show counseling for Christina. I mean, dayum.

I don't get why Tarzan went out of his way to antagonize the women, first by calling Alecia a bitch and the whole Kat's clothes thing, which was beyond bizarre. Editing made it look like Tarzan was finally ready to play, but his actions suggest that he wanted to be eliminated. Maybe he truly couldn't decide what he wanted *shrugs*

More tears from Kat! I bet Tarzan's Ponderosa welcome will be...interesting.

Aw, crap - I'll be at my mom's this weekend into next week and I doubt I will be able to watch the finale :drama: Probably not until Tuesday or Wednesday! :wuzrobbed

MarieM
05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
The finale ?? When ?? This WE ??? Really ??

Fridge_Break
05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
It's Sunday from 8pm to 10pm with the reunion show to follow. I have to be at work and won't get home until about 9:30, so I'm going to have to watch it later as well. :(

PeterG
05-11-2012, 12:02 AM
I don't get why Tarzan went out of his way to antagonize the women, first by calling Alecia a bitch and the whole Kat's clothes thing, which was beyond bizarre. Editing made it look like Tarzan was finally ready to play, but his actions suggest that he wanted to be eliminated. Maybe he truly couldn't decide what he wanted *shrugs*

I thought that in both situations, he was being silly...trying to bring some levity to a tense situation. And no one went along with his goofing around (regardless of whether they found his humour funny or not) and instead chose to be sour and brittle. :( Considering they were about to blindside him, they could have been a bit less callous.

BaileyCatts
05-11-2012, 09:45 AM
It's funny how several people up-thread mentioned about how annoying Jeff was. I think tonight was the first time I actually yelled out to the TV "shut the freaking hell up Jeff!"!! It has never really bothered me before, at least not that I can remember. But tonight he was just annoying the hell outta me, and I've never had that impression before during the whole run of the show I think! :lol:

Well we know Kim is a lock for at least the Final 4 due to her Idol, and she has to play it next week, right? So pplluueezze vote that damn Alicia off first on Sunday!! Gawd I hate her.

Jenny
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
So I'm only eating half my hat, as a person who has long said that an all girl alliance will never win Survivor. We now have an all girl finale, but ...

We finally have an all-female final 5, and I'm pretty sure it's because it is NOT a single alliance. If they'd all been working together, someone would have flipped by now. Because there have been numerous sub-alliances, people have flipped and still managed to end up with a version of the original tribe and original alliance with Christina subbing for Kat the Brat.

Exactly. This is not really an alliance; it's not even two alliances working together to get rid of the men and then duking it out in the end. It's Kim juggling everyone to her own end.

It's actually quite interesting to watch - although having essentially only one real player is a bore, it's not like the rest of them are complete idiots (well not all of them :lol:). The fact that no one seems to realize what she's doing nor see her as a threat (challenge prowess and an HII? c'mon!) nor concern themselves that she has no enemies and lots of friends is fascinating.

I guess it helps that a) Christina is an idiot b) Alicia is delusional c) Chelsea thinks they really are friends and d) Sabrina is pretty much going with the flow.

Even if the lightbulbs do finally starting going on, all she has to do is win one IC and use the HII, and she's clear to final 3 - and I'm quite sure the jury will vote for her to win. Could even be unanimous.

Rogue
05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I loved how Sabrina was talking about Kim batting her baby blues and getting the other side to believe every thing she says, never once wondering if maybe Kim hasn't been batting her baby blues at Sabrina as well.

Vagabond
05-11-2012, 07:56 PM
The fact that no one seems to realize what she's doing nor see her as a threat (challenge prowess and an HII? c'mon!) nor concern themselves that she has no enemies and lots of friends is fascinating.

We viewers have had the benefit of seeing how Kim has been getting what looks like the winner's edit all season long, including her confessionals and key one-on-one discussions with Chelsea, Sabrina, Alicia, and Jay. What we haven't seen much of is what the remaining contestants must have seen a lot of -- sweet, unassuming Kim sitting around quietly in camp. That said, it does seem that some of the eliminated players, particularly Jay, Troy, and Tarzan, must have figured out by this point in the game who is the mastermind.

Jenny
05-11-2012, 08:16 PM
We viewers have had the benefit of seeing how Kim has been getting what looks like the winner's edit all season long, including her confessionals and key one-on-one discussions with Chelsea, Sabrina, Alicia, and Jay. What we haven't seen much of is what the remaining contestants must have seen a lot of -- sweet, unassuming Kim sitting around quietly in camp.

So true. I mean, Alicia thinks she's in charge :lol::lol::lol:

I would just think that at this point, someone might have noticed that Kim's choice for the boot is always the one to go, and everyone goes along with it. They should also be wondering about her alliances, since everyone seems to think she's with them, but she's clearly spending time with everyone and getting chosen to go on their rewards.

Didn't Alicia and Christina think that Kim was with them and Tarzan? And yet they voted him out. Didn't Chelsea and Sabrina, and Alicia for that matter, think that Kim was with them and Kat? Jay was another one who was supposed to be in alliance with Kim and others, and yet she voted him out too. Are they all just so happy to be with dear old Kim that they aren't noticing that she's eliminating her supposed alliance members?

Plus, anyone who is that good at challenges and is liked by everyone (and is all innocent and has no enemies) should have been seen as a threat weeks ago. That's just basic Survivor play.

PeterG
05-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Plus, anyone who is that good at challenges and is liked by everyone (and is all innocent and has no enemies) should have been seen as a threat weeks ago. That's just basic Survivor play.

:lol: Exactly. When Kat became a target for doing so well in the immunity challenge by coming in second, I thought, "well, shouldn't the one who BEAT Kat be an even bigger target"??? The editing sure makes it look like no one thinks Kim is a threat... :huh:

Jenny
05-11-2012, 08:44 PM
The editing sure makes it look like no one thinks Kim is a threat... :huh:

Well like Vagabond points out, there could be all kinds of discussion about what a big threat Kim is and how to get her out - but the producers might have decided that it's a better story to have everyone else look like they have no clue.

:wall::wall: editing of this show in recent years

Wouldn't it be great if they ran the show live or semi live? IIRC, the first season of Survivor started airing before it was actually over.

One reason I enjoy Big Brother is that the editors can't edit to suit their own storylines nearly as much, because all the votes are live and what happens in the house is no more than a few days old - plus you have live feeds so fans have a much better sense of what's really going on. (Mind you, from what I can tell Survivor producers don't try to manipulate the actual game, whereas they clearly do on Big Brother, but that's a whole other discussion! Ditto their efforts to present characters on the tv show that differ greatly from the actual people playing the game.)

Vagabond
05-12-2012, 05:07 AM
As Jeff Probst said in a recent interview (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/10/jeff-probst-episode-13-survivor-one-world/), "[Y]ou want the ending to be satisfying." The makers of the show edit the episodes as best they can to make the ending satisfying, even if they don't always succeed (e.g., with the Nicaragua [Fabio] and Gabon [Bob]).

The problem with that approach is that it doesn't always make the season as satisfying as it could be. I think this is especially true when, as seems to be happening this season, the winner is an easygoing woman who doesn't make a lot of (or any) enemies and her biggest potential rival didn't even make it to the merge.

Jenny
05-12-2012, 02:12 PM
As Jeff Probst said in a recent interview (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/10/jeff-probst-episode-13-survivor-one-world/), "[Y]ou want the ending to be satisfying." The makers of the show edit the episodes as best they can to make the ending satisfying, even if they don't always succeed (e.g., with the Nicaragua [Fabio] and Gabon [Bob]).

The question is, what defines satisfying to the viewer? Sure, you want a winner you actually liked, but for many it's about the game, not the people, so you want to be satisfied with the ending as a game outcome. If you haven't been able to properly follow the game because they've focused on their people stories rather than game play, then it's harder to be satisfied with the ending.

PeterG
05-12-2012, 05:40 PM
To me, a badly edited show is where fans refer to secondary video sources that show major plot points. I'll watch the show, but I won't go scouring various websites to see that person "X" did action "Y". I'm watching a TV show, not playing scavenger hunt.