PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: One World (Season 24)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

sk8er1964
04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
BTW, this illustrates the downside of going on reality TV. For years from now people will meet Kat and Christina (especially Kat) and automatically think they are stupid, whether they are or not. I can't imagine what that would be like, to seemingly have the whole country thinking I'm a dim bulb. It's going to impact their professional careers as well as their personal life and makes one think hard about ever going on one of those shows.

Speaking of impacting your career, I couldn't believe it when Alicia said Christine had the IQ of one of her students. :yikes: There's a firing waiting to happen!

Fridge_Break
04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Speaking of impacting your career, I couldn't believe it when Alicia said Christine had the IQ of one of her students. :yikes: There's a firing waiting to happen!

This. I couldn't believe when she said that. Combining her comments from last night and her behavior at the beginning of the season, she should consider herself luckier than Christina's life in the game if she still has a job by the time the season is over. The school year's about to finish, right?

Speaking of contestants losing their jobs, did anyone hear if NaOnka's school allowed her back after her season aired? :yikes:

Prancer
04-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Speaking of contestants losing their jobs, did anyone hear if NaOnka's school allowed her back after her season aired? :yikes:

NaOnka kept her job. She is having a baby in October; apparently she is signed to do one of those shows about having a baby, like Vee from way back when.

nylynnr
04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
I agree Alicia is despicable, but it is pretty difficult to fire public school teachers, due to union rules. And if they have tenure, it's a multi-year process.

walei
04-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Christina...sigh can she really be this clueless??

Also one thing that jumped out to me last night was when during the challenge almost everyone thought Sabrina is the most useless around camp. Did they ever show any of that? I always thought Sabrina and Kim are two top dawgs at camp and now it looks like Sabrina is a lot lower on the totem pole than I think.

BaileyCatts
04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
...... ETA: I missed the last few episodes, but would anyone on the jury actually vote for Tarzan? It appears he's not particularly liked/respected by the men on the jury.

Not a chance in hell. Unless .... all the men get in a hissy fit and vote for him solely because he's the only man standing, and they want a man to beat the women. That's the only scenario I see Tarazan getting any votes if he ends up in the Final 3.

Prancer
04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree Alicia is despicable, but it is pretty difficult to fire public school teachers, due to union rules. And if they have tenure, it's a multi-year process.

It really isn't all that hard, and it usually doesn't take that long, either; even tenured professors can be fired more easily than that. But I'm not sure what grounds anyone would have for firing someone based on what they do on a TV show on their own time. Survivor has had a variety of people on the show over the years who have said and done unlikeable and unethical things, yet I haven't heard a lot of calls for them to lose their jobs over it--except teachers.

Teaching is a job, not a religious avocation.

sk8er1964
04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
She's a special education teacher who compared Christine to her students, right after saying that she is an idiot with an IQ of zero. I know if I were a parent of one of her students and heard her say that, I would lose all confidence in her as a teacher. :shrug:

nylynnr
04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
It really isn't all that hard, and it usually doesn't take that long, either; even tenured professors can be fired more easily than that. But I'm not sure what grounds anyone would have for firing someone based on what they do on a TV show on their own time. Survivor has had a variety of people on the show over the years who have said and done unlikeable and unethical things, yet I haven't heard a lot of calls for them to lose their jobs over it--except teachers.

Teaching is a job, not a religious avocation.

In my experience, unless a teacher shoots a gun off in school, it takes a lot of time in the rubber room (and a lot of unearned salary) before a tenured public school teacher is out the door.

And I don't think it's true that there are no calls for other than teachers to be fired; certainly, many Survivor fans on other boards questioned one of the nurses on the show -- can't remember her name -- about her strategy of not being more helpful to injured castmates. But after all, taxpayers pay public school salaries, and taxpayers are Survivor viewers, so that contributes to them feeling more entitled to call for Alicia's firing than the firing of a private business employee.

Prancer
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
In my experience, unless a teacher shoots a gun off in school, it takes a lot of time in the rubber room (and a lot of unearned salary) before a tenured public school teacher is out the door.

I wouldn't dream of challenging your experiences. They are what they are.

However, I have experiences as well, and I can cite a lot of links about teachers who have been fired without it taking years or a gun. School systems differ a great deal.

And I don't think it's true that there are no calls for other than teachers to be fired; certainly, many Survivor fans on other boards questioned one of the nurses on the show -- can't remember her name -- about her strategy of not being more helpful to injured castmates.

I don't remember that at all. Even if I did, I don't think it's quite the same thing to say that a person should be questioned for refusing to help people in a way one is qualified to do on a television show and that a person should be fired for being a rather awful person on a television show.

I don't think the nurse should be fired, either, mind you. A job is not an avocation.

But after all, taxpayers pay public school salaries, and taxpayers are Survivor viewers, so that contributes to them feeling more entitled to call for Alicia's firing than the firing of a private business employee.

Really? What part of Alicia's salary do you pay? I always thought that people considered the issue to be that teachers work with children. But perhaps I am wrong on that and it would be an entirely different thing if Alicia worked for a private school--or would it? Without looking it up, can you tell me where Alicia works?

nylynnr
04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Really? What part of Alicia's salary do you pay? I always thought that people considered the issue to be that teachers work with children. But perhaps I am wrong on that and it would be an entirely different thing if Alicia worked for a private school--or would it? Without looking it up, can you tell me where Alicia works?

Oh, so touchy! Now, now.

Either Alicia is a public school teacher, in which case property taxes in her county -- in which I am certain some Survivor viewers dwell -- fund her salary, or she is a private school teacher, in which case parents pay her salary. Either way, if she puts herself on a TV show and denigrates her students, she is going to get a few angry taxpayers and/or parents calling for her resignation. Obviously, it's a criticism and risk she is willing to bear.

Prancer
04-27-2012, 09:29 PM
she is going to get a few angry taxpayers and/or parents calling for her resignation.

Are parents and/or taxpayers who actually pay her salary asking for her to be fired? Or for her resignation? Or whatever it is that is supposed to mean the end of her job?

nylynnr
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Are parents and/or taxpayers who actually pay her salary asking for her to be fired? Or for her resignation? Or whatever it is that is supposed to mean the end of her job?

We shall see in the aftermath of Survivor, won't we? That is when the local follow-up articles come out.

In the meantime, yes, there is a chorus of people -- some with special needs children -- condemning her on various Survivor boards. We will see if this translates into action. Conversely, Alicia may decide on her own that special ed teaching isn't for her.

Prancer
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
We shall see in the aftermath of Survivor, won't we? That is when the local follow-up articles come out.

In the meantime, yes, there is a chorus of people -- some with special needs children -- condemning her on various Survivor boards. We will see if this translates into action. Conversely, Alicia may decide on her own that special ed teaching isn't for her.

Okay, so that takes me back to my original question--why should teachers be held to different standards than other people who have jobs?

nylynnr
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Okay, so that takes me back to my original question--why should teachers be held to different standards than other people who have jobs?

They aren't. If I went on Survivor, and talked about my clients in an insulting manner, I would be fired pronto -- far faster than a tenured public school teacher. The difference is stakeholders, i.e., parents with special ed kids, might get a bit more riled up at someone like Alicia, who is essentially charged with helping their children. In turn, more people might be moved to post about it on a discussion board.