PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: One World (Season 24)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Jenny
03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I certainly hope that there are no plans to ressurect him later on or for a future series. Although it might be interesting to see how a new cast would deal with him, assuming that they had seen this season first.

I don't think he'll come back this season as they've made it pretty clear that when you're gone you're gone, and they'd have to give Courtney another chance too.

One might think he's burned any chance of success in an all-stars with his confessionals, but then again, he's said and done a lot of it around camp and yet no one wanted to get rid of him, and several were happy to work with him and join in his mean girls game.

In his CBS bio, he says that people hate him but want to be his best friend, which is apparently true. Nauseating, but true.

genevieve
03-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Also annoyed that the editors gave us the Colton show for several weeks now, building up to a big game moment of some kind, and then he's just ripped right out of the storyline, and now we're left with a bunch of people we barely know.
I'm just annoyed that people stood around - even after he was gone - saying what a shame it was, and how much he loved the game etc. At least they didn't try to give him a redemption arc this ep, instead showing him (and Alicia) to be even more awful than ever.

And Alicia is as vile as Colton, almost more so because she's a weak follower. She's the one that said from the start she would use the men to her advantage by flirting with them - um, Colton controlled you, and the only man who seems to like you can't remember anyone's name.
whenever a woman in this show says she is going to use men to her advantage via her feminine wiles, it's a good bet that she will be the submissive 2nd (or lower) in an alliance led by a man or men - but will often think she's calling the shots. I think Parvati is the only woman to pull this strategy off correctly.

Total missed opportunity at TC too - the rare opportunity to have people vote individually, based on which of their many alliances they thought would work best at the moment. Would have been SO revealing, and they let it go.
I was really hoping for this. No immunity challenge, no vote, no fun.

And almost zero airtime for Jay :wuzrobbed
I so don't get the Jay lurve :lol: He looks like a scrawny Matthew McConaughey and sounds like Mike Tyson :P

The reunion show should be fascinating. I'll be curious if Colton's supporters will see him in a different light now that they're watching the episodes.
Ugh. The reunion is going to be ALL ABOUT COLTON :blah:

What threw me off was Coltan's exit interviews. He was wearing the same green shirt that they carried him out with. But he looked fine in those interviews - same smugness, and a hint of smirk.
That bugged me too - but I think they used previous footage. If you listen to his words, he sounds annoyed at something that got in the way of his strategy, but not in a final way, like his game is over.

:blah: to producers for that

In his CBS bio, he says that people hate him but want to be his best friend, which is apparently true. Nauseating, but true.
Ugh.

and poor Kourtney :(

Jenny
03-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I so don't get the Jay lurve :lol: He looks like a scrawny Matthew McConaughey

I lurvvves him too - I like a man lean and fit, and a charming southern accent doesn't hurt :)

KHenry14
03-22-2012, 04:26 PM
It's a shame Colton went out like he did...I'd have much preferred that he get blindsided and humbled a bit. And he showed his true colors by keeping the idol. I mean, your cohort is right there, you can ensure that she goes on in the game for while....and he keeps it himself. BTW, this of course 100% ensures that he will be back at some point.

I don't get the Christina hate either. Either there's a lot of stuff that happened off camera, or Alicia is exactly the tool that we think she is. Also, Jonas and Leif seem to understand the game, yet they are seemingly unwilling to play.

Jenny
03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Also, Jonas and Leif seem to understand the game, yet they are seemingly unwilling to play.

I think Jonas' story has been clearer - he's doing the under the radar thing and going with the flow/anyone but me, but I think he'll start to get active very soon, especially now that he can't count on a boys alliance (as it appears the Greek gods have joined forces as well). I feel like he's biding his time before committing to anything, but soon he'll have to.

Leif does seem to get the game, but doesn't have the personality to play it I think.

merrywidow
03-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Colton struck me as having a problem with peoples of other races: the African-American Comedian & now the Asian-American Woman. Thoroughly nasty young man. All I could think of is "what goes around comes around" when he succumbed to his medical problem.

genevieve
03-22-2012, 06:13 PM
It's a shame Colton went out like he did...I'd have much preferred that he get blindsided and humbled a bit. And he showed his true colors by keeping the idol. I mean, your cohort is right there, you can ensure that she goes on in the game for while....and he keeps it himself.
Him keeping the idol and denying Alicia power was the only positive thing he's done in the whole game.

ETA: :kickass: ew recap is up. One thing to note - Dalton Ross (regular recapper) is currently with the next Survivor group, who are just getting started. After the Bill elimination episode, Colton made a public statement about his comments/behavior from that ep. If we don't hear from him after last night's ep, could be because he's on the next season :blah: Also that the new group will not have seen at least this week's ep (maybe more). There's no way Colton would last in a group that was really familiar with him, so this is really the best chance for producers to resurrect their latest darling (similar to the way Russell was able to go under the radar in Heroes v Villains because he was unknown but when he came back on a season where his playing style was known, his tribe threw a challenge to get rid of him).

ETA2: I found this on Rob C's website. Haven't listened to the interview yet. It's entirely possible that this was recorded before the episode aired.

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-one-world-colton-cumbie-interview.html

Hmmm...(emphasis mine)

We find out in Colton regretted the idea to not have given the immunity idol to Alicia Roas. Colton reveals that the plan was actually not to vote out Christina Cha but instead to vote out Alicia. Colton also says that he wanted to leave the immunity idol to Jay Byars but Jeff Probst did not allow it to happen. We also try to get to the bottom of why Colton had so much animosity towards Christina after only knowing her for such a short time.

We were shown Jeff making it sound like it was up to Colton whether to give the idol to someone. If that was not the case, that's some shady editing. And Colton would have achieved at least a parial redemption if he'd stayed and taken out his BFF Alicia......but it's easy to say that after the fact when people are pissed at you and your flying monkey (from the ew recap :lol: ).

Bostonfan
03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Him keeping the idol and denying Alicia power was the only positive thing he's done in the whole game.

:lol: Exactly. Although I'm sure he did it out of selfishness, but the net result was positive. Talk about taking the wind out of her "mean girl" sails.

Jenny
03-22-2012, 06:59 PM
ETA: :kickass: ew recap is up. One thing to note - Dalton Ross (regular recapper) is currently with the next Survivor group, who are just getting started. After the Bill elimination episode, Colton made a public statement about his comments/behavior from that ep. If we don't hear from him after last night's ep, could be because he's on the next season :blah: Also that the new group will not have seen at least this week's ep (maybe more). There's no way Colton would last in a group that was really familiar with him, so this is really the best chance for producers to resurrect their latest darling (similar to the way Russell was able to go under the radar in Heroes v Villains because he was unknown but when he came back on a season where his playing style was known, his tribe threw a challenge to get rid of him).

This is unusual. Normally the season that airs in the fall is filmed July-Aug, and the season that airs in spring (now) is filmed in Oct-Nov. Does this mean a summer season I wonder?

Prancer
03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
ETA2: I found this on Rob C's website. Haven't listened to the interview yet. It's entirely possible that this was recorded before the episode aired.

There's also this one, which was supposedly done this morning:

http://www.theinsider.com/tv/50849_Survivor_Colton_Interview/

It sounds like he couldn't give the idol to Jay because Jay was on the other tribe. LOL that he thought of giving it to Christina; wouldn't THAT have set Miss Alicia back on her heels. Too bad he didn't. And it looks like he never even thought of giving to it Alicia, which should tell her just how much he thought of her.

He seems to be making the usual post-boot rounds. A lot of the Sucksters seem to think CBS would not want him back because he made the racist comments and CBS doesn't want anything to do with that.

genevieve
03-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I forgot that Jay was on the other tribe :shuffle:

Jenny
03-22-2012, 07:23 PM
The pieces are starting to come together then. If the target really was Alicia, and one might assume all that stuff at Christina happened with her cooperation, then it also makes sense why no one said anything, and they were regretful when he left.

Then, the question is why TPTB chose to show Colton in the worst light possible - even as his tribemates had no problem with him, much to our confusion? Was it really to set up the rest of Alicia's storyline? Either way, badly done. Not everyone reads these interviews.

Leaving it to Jay almost makes sense. In his CBS bio, Colton says that the survivors he's most like are Parvati, Corinne and JT. Wait, what? JT? Colton and JT bear no resemblance aside from being pretty good game players.

Methinks Colton might just like JT and wish he was like him, and found someone similar in Jay.

Odd though if Jeff wouldn't let him, because there's already a precedent for giving an idol to someone on another tribe, involving none other than JT and the player Colton is being compared to most, Russell.

Maybe TPTB are just trying to control things too much, because it would have been quite something if Colton had declared to his tribe that he was giving an idol to someone on the other tribe, and made for some very interesting reactions in both camps. But, they didn't take the advantage of the unique opportunity to have a raw vote last night either, which again would have been *really* interesting.

Sigh. I still love this game, the casting is improving, but the story producing is sucking. I believe that's why they wouldn't let these things happen - because they didn't fit into the stories they were already developing, even before the game ended.

genevieve
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Sigh. I still love this game, the casting is improving, .....

:eek: are you nuts?!?! The casting has been atrocious the last several seasons! They are casting extreme villians and borderline nutjobs for the freak factor, and the majority of everyone else just lies down for anyone who shows a shred of initiative.

Jenny
03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
:eek: are you nuts?!?! The casting has been atrocious the last several seasons! They are casting extreme villians and borderline nutjobs for the freak factor, and the majority of everyone else just lies down for anyone who shows a shred of initiative.

We're on the same page. I don't like the nut jobs, but I do like people who are actually there to play the game, and have some skill in it. Sure there are the Kats to deal with, but this season, and last, I'd say the majority were decent players who were there for the right reasons. And while I certainly don't like all the players as people, I also don't see the likes of loonies like Naonka and Philip, or stunt casting like Russell's nephew. Colton is an extreme villain for sure, but I give that decision a pass because he's also a fan of the game and a serious player.

The true game begins with merge, when it's about yourself and the end game rather than just avoiding TC. I think we'll see that many who have "laid down" will start playing more obviously now. I think we also lost a lot of content to the Colton show unfortunately.

jamesy
03-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Odd though if Jeff wouldn't let him, because there's already a precedent for giving an idol to someone on another tribe, involving none other than JT and the player Colton is being compared to most, Russell.

Maybe TPTB are just trying to control things too much, because it would have been quite something if Colton had declared to his tribe that he was giving an idol to someone on the other tribe, and made for some very interesting reactions in both camps.
I haven't read any of the interviews but I would guess that the producers wouldn't let him give the idol to the other tribe simply because it wasn't possible for Colton to physically give it to someone on Salani.

Also, weren't the idols originally tribe specific? I wonder what they would have done in regards to Colton's Manono idol if he had ended up on Salani after the switch.