PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers in Love, Sharing Passwords

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

numbers123
01-21-2012, 02:11 AM
But I am a ghost - see my username. Ghosts only have so many lives. :P

rjblue
01-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Completely disagree. I mean, if we had a joint bank account of course we'd share passwords for that :P , but I wouldn't let my partner have my email or Facebook password. Because if someone receives an email from that account, they completely expect it to be from me. When someone sends me an email to my account, they expect only me to read it.

My partner and I are not the same person. We're not even a hive mind and we like completely different things, and we don't expect each other to pretend to like the other's hobbies or preferences because that's just silly.

We're different people who choose to have one life together. I thought that was what marriage was about - two people whose lives are intertwined. Not two people literally turning into one. That's just creepy.

And possibly a good basis for a horror movie. :lol:What's creepy is that in most places in the world, two gay people can't choose to have this kind of relationship. Married people don't have to testify against each other in court, and have the power to make medical decisions for each other. Those are the sorts of things that being "one person" give you - not a creepy hive mind where you only like the same thing.

"I trust you and don't need to know your passwords" is a perfectly wonderful relationship as long as that makes both people happy.

"I don't need to have privacy from you" is a perfectly wonderful relationship as long as it makes both people happy.

It is when person one tries to have a relationship with person two that things are bad.

manleywoman
01-21-2012, 03:10 AM
I know my husband's passwords to everything, but I don;t bother looking for anything.

triple_toe
01-21-2012, 03:35 AM
^ Exactly. I don't understand why having passwords automatically equates looking through emails, facebook, whatever. Just because you have someone's password doesn't mean you're going to use it. I knew my parents' pin numbers for bank cards and their computer passwords because I needed them at one point for something, but I never would have dreamt of using them without permission. I knew facebook passwords of friends as well but I never snooped with them. You should be able to respect other people's privacy even if you have the opportunity not to.

WindSpirit
01-21-2012, 03:44 AM
"I don't need to have privacy from you" is a perfectly wonderful relationship as long as it makes both people happy. How does that translates to them having other relationships with their family, friends, etc.? Do they tell everyone that from now on they will share everything with each other, so their family and friends are aware of the fact that everything they will say or write to one of them might and will be shared with that person's SO?

I guess most people who share everything don't bother telling other people about it, so unless their email have both of their names which makes it obvious, their friends probably don't even realize that everything they share with their friend is being read by/shared with their SO. I can't imagine they all would be happy about it if they found out. I hope at least most people would give them the courtesy to opt out of the "no privacy" deal.

Angelskates
01-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Angelskates - if anything ever happens to me, I imagine Princess Leppard could tell FSU. :P

And I would volunteer to take on the role of sharing cupcakes with PL. Of course, the distance might be a problem, but I'm sure plenty of other posters would volunteer too. You'd have to be replaced by more than one person. You're special ;)

I would never give my passwords to anyone, unless I was in a relationship with the person.

A friendship is a relationship to me. Just because it's not sexual doesn't make it any more or less important or more or less trustworthy. Do you mean you'd only share passwords in a sexual relationship? Or a long-term sexual relationship? Or marriage?

I'm single, and I felt I needed some people to have my information in case it was needed by me and I couldn't access it, or in case something happened to me. Those people agreed to keep that information. Only two gave me the same information in return (which I have used at their requests a couple of times), and one of those is single. It's been more than 10 years since it was given and it's been used, at my request, a few times too - at least once by each person who has access to it.

Aussie Willy
01-21-2012, 07:47 AM
A friendship is a relationship to me. Just because it's not sexual doesn't make it any more or less important or more or less trustworthy. Do you mean you'd only share passwords in a sexual relationship? Or a long-term sexual relationship? Or marriage?

If you want clarification then it would be a marriage type relationship or a member of my immediate family because I know I could trust them. But I can understand people who have family members they wouldn't trust.

bek
01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
I had an ex boyfriend who gave me his email password once. It wasn't demanded by me it was more him bragging because he said none of his friends had figured it out. I never went into his email though. That would be an invasion of privacy, and I never gave him mine. :lol:

And I agree with the point even if you trust your spouse 100%; there is the simple fact that there are people who are emailing you who may not want your spouse/significant other to know everything.