PDA

View Full Version : Paula Dean confirms she has type-2 diabetes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

orbitz
01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Paula Dean confirms (http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/17/10173727-paula-deen-diabetes-diagnosis-wont-change-how-i-cook) that she has type-2 diabetes. She was diagnosed 3 years ago but chose to keep mum about it until now. Conveniently Dean's confirmation coincides with her coming forward as a paid spokesperson for Novo Nordisk, the company that supplies her diabetes medications.

I wonder how the FN is going to deal with this in regard to Dean's shows? I can't imagine they would want to Dean to continue to act all orgasmic over the sight of a stick of butter on the show anymore. Her youngest son, Bobby, has a new show on the FN now called "Not My Mama's Meal" that features lower calories version of his mom's recipes. Does this mean the FN plan to reduce Dean's role on the channel? Was Bobby's show created by the FN in preparation of Dean going public with here illness? I wonder if her husband also has the disease since he's quite heavy also.

A quote from Anthony Bourdain:

“When your signature dish is hamburger in between a doughnut, and you've been cheerfully selling this stuff knowing all along that you've got type 2 diabetes... It's in bad taste if nothing else.”

Badams
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
It would be nice if she would incorporate healthier versions of her recipes on the show for people, such as herself, with type 2. There's a lot of people out there in her situation. And I agree with Bourdain.

Lacey
01-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm kind of annoyed that she has known about the diabetes for three years. I would feel better about her son having a show if she stepped out entirely, but don't think that's going to happen. Both sons were with her on the Today Show, she has her people out protecting her. Sons were talking healthier, she was alternately talking about things other than butter like whole wheat pasta, trying to slough all the butter talk off, as if healthy eating is not just about the butter, but she was still screeching about butter and trying to get in the last fattening joke at the end. I don't use her recipes, so the bottom line is, who cares.

orbitz
01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Paula Dean has a huge following on TV. Her restaurant in Georgia is very popular, and she successfully hawkher cookware and prepared food on QVC. There are many people out there who do care about what she says.

MacMadame
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Except you don't get Type II diabetes from eating butter. You get it from being overweight, from genetics and from eating too many simple carbs. (Or rather eating simple carbs triggers an inappropriate insulin response in those with a tendency to Type II diabetes that eventually leads to getting it.)

So, if she was going to make over her recipes to account for her disease, I'd expect her to start cooking low carb and low sugar, not low fat.

luenatic
01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
This reminds of the movies I just watched called "Forks over knives"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/

It talks about how whole plant food diet can help with many degenerative diseases. Butter definitely is not on the list...

BigB08822
01-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Except you don't get Type II diabetes from eating butter. You get it from being overweight, from genetics and from eating too many simple carbs. (Or rather eating simple carbs triggers an inappropriate insulin response in those with a tendency to Type II diabetes that eventually leads to getting it.)

So, if she was going to make over her recipes to account for her disease, I'd expect her to start cooking low carb and low sugar, not low fat.

Exactly. She can continue to use all the butter and bacon grease she wants! She just needs to cut out sugar and carbs. Now, if she ends up with heart disease, then...

my little pony
01-17-2012, 08:39 PM
being diabetic puts her at a higher risk for heart disease and stroke, she should try to cut back on the fats as well

Jenny
01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I think she means well, but she is hardly a poster child for good eating and lifestyle habits - especially now that she's advocating a pharmaceutical-based solution rather than a healthy diet and exercise.

To say that what she cooks is "entertainment" is somewhat irresponsible when she has so many adoring fans who are going to cook and eat the whole pan of brownies, not enjoy them on moderation, which she claims to advise.

Her snark at those who promote a healthier diet, saying "Not everybody can afford to pay $58 for prime rib or $650 for a bottle of wine. My friends and I cook for regular families who worry about feeding their kids and paying the bills" is off the mark too. We all know there are plenty of options at a fraction of those prices - and last time I checked, butter, sugar and chocolate and her other favourite ingredients ain't cheap. In season vegetables and grains - especially when you live in a region with a longer growing season, are much more affordable and have the added benefit of not killing your family.

In the end this is apparently about business unfortunately. She didn't come out so to speak because “I came home, I told my children, I told my husband, I said, ‘I’m gonna keep this close to my chest for the time being’ because I had to figure out things in my own head.” I read that as "protect my brand, and my business."

milanessa
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
being diabetic puts her at a higher risk for diabetes....

Really? :lol:

skatesindreams
01-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Her son Bobby has a new show where he is making healthy versions of his mother's recipes:

http://savannahnow.com/accent/2012-01-11/bobby-deens-new-cooking-show-features-lighter-side-southern-cooking#.TxXehW9_bl4
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/not-my-mamas-meals/index.html

allezfred
01-17-2012, 08:55 PM
What a deluded moneygrubbing cow. :rolleyes:

DickButtonFan
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I always like her, but I'm disappointed that she didn't come out with some more healthy options when found out she had this disease. I mean seriously?

my little pony
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Really? :lol:

lol, i meant coronary artery disease but thought i'd set the stage with the obvious

Anita18
01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
In the end this is apparently about business unfortunately. She didn't come out so to speak because “I came home, I told my children, I told my husband, I said, ‘I’m gonna keep this close to my chest for the time being’ because I had to figure out things in my own head.” I read that as "protect my brand, and my business."
Of course it is, but she could have taken the higher road. I'm sure she would have won even more fans if she had.

I didn't have much of an opinion of Paula Deen either way beforehand, but my opinion of her just went down by a lot. Three years, and you still lead your audience to think that you can cook/eat like that your entire life without any health consequences? Really?