PDA

View Full Version : Nam Nguyen article in Globe & Mail

barbk
01-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Nice article -- it will be interesting to see how he does on the JGP circuit next year if Canada sends him out.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/figure-skating-phenom-nam-nguyen-a-small-wonder/article2304396/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2304396

Sylvia
01-16-2012, 11:27 PM
I wonder why there was no mention in the article of Nam Nguyen's 2 JGPs this past September? He finished 12th in his JGP debut in Riga, Latvia and then won the bronze in his 2nd JGP in Brasov, Romania -- link to Nam's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012641.htm

Canada has 2 Junior Worlds men's spots this season, and Nam, 13, and Liam Firus, 19 (who also won a JGP bronze this fall), look to be the 2 main contendors heading into Canadians.

olifaunt
01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
I love Nam. I only wish he had better choreography.

mag
01-17-2012, 12:22 AM
I love Nam. I only wish he had better choreography.

And better axel technique. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all!

overedge
01-17-2012, 12:54 AM
And better axel technique.

And a different coach....

I find this quote from the story a little worrisome:

McLeod credited Nguyen’s parents for keeping their son grounded.

“What is fantastic about his parents is when he wins, they don’t gloat,” she said. “There is a 24-hour pride, and then it’s right back to training and what do we need to do to go up the next step? “Sometimes, in previous situations, that pride period could end up being a year. You can’t move up a level and formulate new goals if you are still celebrating the previous.”

I get the part about the parents not gloating, which is really good, but it sounds like the poor kid is under a lot of parental pressure, if their reaction to winning is to figure out how to win something bigger. When does the skater get to say that he's happy with what he did and doesn't want to go on to anything else, if that's what he wants?

mag
01-17-2012, 01:15 AM
...When does the skater get to say that he's happy with what he did and doesn't want to go on to anything else, if that's what he wants?

I don't think that is an option here. Nam's sister is also being pushed to be Nam 2.0 in figure skating. I have no idea if she enjoys it or not, but she was, IMHO, pushed way beyond her level when they put her in Pre Juv. at Sections this year.

fsfann
01-18-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm sorry... I hate to be negative... But I feel depressed about this kid. He has OODLES of talent, and is fantastic...but he is with Joanne McLeod... the Queen of not doing good work with high quality skaters. Have any of her skaters fulfilled the promise? Have any of them improved once they can land the 'harder' jumps? no.

If this guy wants to succeed he needs a coaching change now. She has done as much as she can with him......

Jayar
01-18-2012, 01:26 AM
And a different coach....

I find this quote from the story a little worrisome:

I get the part about the parents not gloating, which is really good, but it sounds like the poor kid is under a lot of parental pressure, if their reaction to winning is to figure out how to win something bigger. When does the skater get to say that he's happy with what he did and doesn't want to go on to anything else, if that's what he wants?

I've interviewed him, and he strikes me as very hardworking and very much still a happy-go-lucky kid. I don't think that he gets as much pressure to perform as some might think. He still 'plays' like young kids do. It was refreshing.

orbitz
01-18-2012, 01:42 AM
And better axel technique. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all!

It shouldn't be that difficult to get better choreography and learn better axel technique, especially since he's still a kid. So yes, he can have it all if he and his team are determine to get it.

overedge
01-18-2012, 03:24 AM
It shouldn't be that difficult to get better choreography and learn better axel technique

It shouldn't be, but neither of these are things Joanne McLeod is known for.

fsfann
01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
It shouldn't be that difficult to get better choreography and learn better axel technique, especially since he's still a kid. So yes, he can have it all if he and his team are determine to get it.

If they're determined to get it, then they should move to another coach as soon as possible... :dog:

kwanfan1818
01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I spoke to a friend who is a pianist (not a prodigy, no stage parents) and he told me that when he was growing up, he had the same attitude towards competitions: he was able to enjoy the prizes and attention, but he knew that each was a step towards a larger goal of mastery, and that the next days were time to get back to practice to meet those goals.