PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to void in (not fake) London?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

pingu
07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Irish Olympic fans allocated Father Ted-themed pub (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0721/1224320530452.html)

Go on, go on, go on! :cheer:

This is probably a very stupid question, but can I go inside even if I'm not Irish?

allezfred
07-22-2012, 03:40 PM
This is probably a very stupid question, but can I go inside even if I'm not Irish?

Yes, it's open to the public.

http://www.bigchill.net/news/2012/03/olympics-at-the-big-chill-house/

Here (http://www.londontown.com/London/Olympic-National-Hospitality-Houses) is a fairly comprehensive list on the national hospitality houses.

pingu
07-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes, it's open to the public.

http://www.bigchill.net/news/2012/03/olympics-at-the-big-chill-house/

Here (http://www.londontown.com/London/Olympic-National-Hospitality-Houses) is a fairly comprehensive list on the national hospitality houses.

Thanks! Now I have an even more stupid question. My brother is 15, can he enter in pubs? Sorry, I have never been in the UK :shuffle:

allezfred
07-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks! Now I have an even more stupid question. My brother is 15, can he enter in pubs? Sorry, I have never been in the UK :shuffle:

Not sure about UK, but in Ireland those under 16 have to leave pubs before a certain time in the evening. I'd say so long as he doesn't look too young and isn't drinking alcohol he should be OK.

pingu
07-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Not sure about UK, but in Ireland those under 16 have to leave pubs before a certain time in the evening. I'd say so long as he doesn't look too young and isn't drinking alcohol he should be OK.

os168
07-23-2012, 01:57 AM

Yeah of course he can. There are all sort of pubs, include for family pubsthat are young children friendly, obviously he wouldn't able to buy alcohol though.

Pub also banned smoking thees days so it is a much friendlier (and healthier) environment than the old days.

*Jen*
07-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I think they'll ease it a little for the Olympics, but not all pubs are family friendly, many demand ID after certain hours. It's normally okay during the day, but not so sure about the evening :)

Meanwhile...it's kicking off! Wheeeee! :cheer2: Traffic is a nightmare (apparently, but I walk to work so :shuffle: ), the tube is packed, and there are all sorts of vaguely comprehensible lane closures and changes to pedestrian crossings and I nearly got beaten up shopping in Oxford Street :eek: There were also loads of confused looking tourists in my local supermarket, which was voidy :lol:

The weather is beautiful, I only hope it lasts for the actual games!

kylet3
07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
I nearly got beaten up shopping in Oxford Street :eek: There were also loads of confused looking tourists in my local supermarket, which was voidy :lol:

The weather is beautiful, I only hope it lasts for the actual games!

Details! what happened to you? I hope you're alright!

Loves_Shizuka
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
I have tickets for the gymnastics, athletics and tennis. I forget which days/specific events lol. I can see the Olympic stadium from my house.

I am very, very excited
:D

*Jen*
07-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Details! what happened to you? I hope you're alright!

I'm fine, thanks, and exaggerating. :) It's perfectly safe! Just too many people not looking where they were going, and one walking into my elbow was I was drinking from a bottle. Sore gum. One rammed me into the corner of a shelf in a shoe shop. Sore arm. Bruised arm! Several bumped into me. It's bad on a normal day, but is so bad now that when I failed to find what I wanted, I ordered it online and risked the postal system :scream:

Actually there are very real concerns about a crush situation, but what I saw today was no worse than usual in terms of people - just a little more chaotic.

Having confused tourists in my local supermarket is fun though. They're all well behaved and since I like people watching, it's something different to look at while I queue.

Tuesday is the only day of the week that I have to take transport, and I'll either take the bus or walk tomorrow since I have a little more time than usual to get to my client, because the tube isn't fun in this heat :scream: Add the extra people and :drama:

The city is buzzing already, I can't wait to see what it's like next week :watch:

Icetalavista
07-24-2012, 04:52 PM
At the Montreal Olympics I was able to watch athletics practice events in addition to my ticketed events (which included Nadia!). Fascinating to see top-level athletes train. I don't know if security's gotten so strict you can no longer do this, but it's well worth it.

At the Salt Lake Olympics we were turned away from the Swiss "hospitality" (harumph) house, so went to the Dutch one where they welcomed us...and we ended up sitting next to a gold-medalist speedskater's family. Totally unpretentious, those Dutch.

Aren't they supposed to have megascreens set up in various places for people to watch? And there should be fun concerts/events at whatever sort of Olympic plaza they're setting up.

Enjoy the East End, innit.