PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to void in (not fake) London?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

allezfred
07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
There are only about 100,000 hotel rooms in London. Now of course some people may be staying with friends etc, but I still don't see how anyone could come up with a figure of 30 million (ie half the population of the UK :lol: ). :confused:

kylet3
07-08-2012, 07:26 PM
There are only about 100,000 hotel rooms in London. Now of course some people may be staying with friends etc, but I still don't see how anyone could come up with a figure of 30 million (ie half the population of the UK :lol: ). :confused:

Haha True enough I suppose, though this was the same one who told us it would take 45 minutes one way to get to Abbey Road at St. John's Wood from our hotel at Russell Square... It took us less than half that... :slinkaway

Either way, I'd still be expecting probably a few extra million people to descend on London. There's going to be massive line-ups and pressure and gridlock on the entire system. When I went it was in mid-late September, it was off season and while it wasn't too bad for line-ups at the biggest tourist attractions, there were still times on the tube during rush hour when we were crammed in there like sardines. Granted I've been a public transit user for 17 years so I was used to it, but some poeple might be a bit overwhelmed. I think it's going to be mass chaos either way.

allezfred
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Of course it's going to be crowded. It's the Olympics, the biggest sporting event on the planet. Leave plenty of extra time to get from A to B innit.

*Jen*
07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
What makes you think they'll be 30 million extra people? :confused:

:confused: That's what I was told my tour guide when I was there, so that's what I was going off of, I haven't really seen any estimates for how many extra people they're expecting. Either way though, the transit system is going to be extremely strained :yikes: I adore London but me in massive crowds, I'm not a huge fan of it, so I'm glad to watch the games from my TV :shuffle:

Yeah...I think your guide was making it up. There's no way it'll be that many people, there aren't enough hotel rooms or tickets, like allezfred said :lol:

I think it'll be absolutely amazing, the atmosphere will be buzzing. It's just going to require extra patience for those people who need to use transport :)

os168
07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
:confused: That's what I was told my tour guide when I was there, so that's what I was going off of, I haven't really seen any estimates for how many extra people they're expecting. Either way though, the transit system is going to be extremely strained :yikes: I adore London but me in massive crowds, I'm not a huge fan of it, so I'm glad to watch the games from my TV :shuffle:

Consider England's total population is around 50million. 30 extra million in Stratford alone would seem absurd. Don't they mean 3 million? With 30 mill, I wonder if the ground may sink deeper with the extra 2 billion kg weight on top, and may be cause some flooding on the Thames river :P

I personally think it is a rip off Olympics. I've only ever gone for the best tickets and I wanted to see Gymnastics but the decent tickets are currently on sell at face value 150 (around $230 USD) per 2 hours general sessions only. For the finals are at 495 ($750 USD) that lasts 3 hours. I might as well save all my money to fly to London, Canada to see the WC2013 instead. It is difficult to convince friends and family to go with you on these prices.

Has it always cost so much during past Olympics?

allezfred
07-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Supply and demand, supply and demand.

A.H.Black
07-08-2012, 11:47 PM
It's been this way since May :lol: It'a a big year for London, with the Jubillee and Olympics, as well as the usual events (London Pride, Wimbledon) and it's just insane.

I don't believe the tube upgrades will be finished :( They were supposed to be, but there was an article in the paper about a month ago saying there was no hope of it :eek: They won't have all the works going on during the Olympics though, which will be an enormous help. No closures, etc.

It's going to be absolute chaos - all Londoners are sure of it. The Jubilee weekend was utter chaos, and they were significantly fewer people in town for it. Hopefully though, knowing how bad it's going to be, people will be patient and stay away if they can.

I can't recall a single Olympic city that didn't think there would be chaos at the Olympics. I'm sure there will be some problems but not chaos. The Olympic feeling is worth dealing with transportation and security issues.

I personally think it is a rip off Olympics. I've only ever gone for the best tickets and I wanted to see Gymnastics but the decent tickets are currently on sell at face value 150 (around $230 USD) per 2 hours general sessions only. For the finals are at 495 ($750 USD) that lasts 3 hours. I might as well save all my money to fly to London, Canada to see the WC2013 instead. It is difficult to convince friends and family to go with you on these prices.

Olympic Games are always expensive. However, if you really want to go to events, it's always possible. Just show up 2 minutes before an event starts. Someone will want to sell their tickets - often for less. I think the other thing that will surprise Londoners (and visitors) is how much fun they will have at any event. The Olympics are so cool it's great to be there for anything and everything. You can see the marathon and the walking races for free - can't you?

victoriajh
07-09-2012, 06:34 AM

the vancouver tickets had brackets- for events from 50 -i think 450 were the top? but of course the after sales went MUCH higher =(
not sure if they do practice sessons? (maybe for gymnastics?) they were like 14$ i beleive?

*Jen*
07-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I can't recall a single Olympic city that didn't think there would be chaos at the Olympics. I'm sure there will be some problems but not chaos. The Olympic feeling is worth dealing with transportation and security issues.

:lol: I know. This isn't my first Olympic games. I lived in Sydney back in 2000 and chaos was predicted. And in fact...it WAS chaos :lol: It was a great atmosphere and I enjoyed it, but it was the only time I was ever grateful to live so far out in the sticks because I was able to get on a train...but it was fairly full from the second stop. Getting back was hell...and let me tell you, trains had never worked so well before nor have ever worked so well since.

It IS going to be chaos in London, there's no way around it since it's chaos every single day. How well they control that chaos is the only question remaining ;)

The weather is expected to be...better than now. But awful. (http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/cold-cold-cold-grim-forecast-for-london-games-20120709-21rng.html) Me thinks some records could be set in athletics, because people tend to perform a little better when it's cooler :) I'm just excited that they say it'll be better than now :shuffle:

A.H.Black
07-09-2012, 09:49 PM
:lol:
The weather is expected to be...better than now. But awful. (http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/cold-cold-cold-grim-forecast-for-london-games-20120709-21rng.html) Me thinks some records could be set in athletics, because people tend to perform a little better when it's cooler :) I'm just excited that they say it'll be better than now :shuffle:

I know what you mean about the weather. Most of the heat is in the western hemisphere this year. It seems to trade back and forth. I wish I could send some of the 100+ degrees it is here over their way.

*Jen*
07-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I know what you mean about the weather. Most of the heat is in the western hemisphere this year. It seems to trade back and forth. I wish I could send some of the 100+ degrees it is here over their way.

Let's share the love. Mix your heat with our cool...we should have a pretty nice middle point :) As for sharing it back and forth...we've had crap summers the last 3 years. Isn't it time for us to have a month with less than average rainfall? :drama:

star_gazer11
07-10-2012, 03:07 AM
I WON THE VISA CONTEST AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO LONDON2012!!!!!!

:cheer2: That is so freakin cool, congrats! :eek::)

victoriajh
07-10-2012, 06:33 AM
I WON THE VISA CONTEST AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO LONDON2012!!!!!!

Granted it's just for five days and since I am flying in from Asia it's really just three days of activities and probably cheap tickets with events that's not too popular, but it will be my first Olympics EVER!!!!!!!

I am still in disbelieve...
Fabulous!!!! I am so happy to know that people actually Win these things:D you always hear about them and then nada!! They really do exist!!! Enjoy every second!!!

allezfred
07-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Me thinks some records could be set in athletics, because people tend to perform a little better when it's cooler :)

Depends on the event. Certainly the distance runners will prefer cooler weather, but sprinters and field eventers prefer it to be warm.

morqet
07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
It IS going to be chaos in London, there's no way around it since it's chaos every single day. How well they control that chaos is the only question remaining ;)

Kings Cross Underground Station was shut briefly this mornng because of overcrowding, and ven when I commute in to the city from Clapham I have to wait for 15 minutes occaisionally to even be allowed onto the platform...and all this without all the extra people who will be here for the Games. I guess it will really depend on how many people decide to work from home/take holiday/work flexitime. I know some of my friends who work around London Bridge have been told not to come in to the office for the two weeks of the Games, but many other companies haven't made arrangements; I've been told everyting should carry on as normal, even though we are in between all the events in Hyde Park, the races finishing on The Mall and the Beach Volleyball on Horseguards Parade & the tube station will be a major hub for people getting across London.

Interesting article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18770548) about the likelyhood of seeing many world records broken this year. I'd agree that the bset chances are in the cycling, it looked to be a very quick track in the test event.