PDA

View Full Version : New Skating Novel - "Flying Camels & Tiger Mothers"

Pages : [1] 2 3

PairSk8r
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Available at Amazon for Kindle applications.

"Flying Camels & Tiger Mothers" by Andy Schell.

A writer who also skates created this new novel. Very entertaining!

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Camels-Tiger-Mothers-ebook/dp/B006WAG8Q2/ref=zg_bsnr_301912_2

sfahrut
01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Great reviews on Amazon. I'm ordering a copy.

PairSk8r
01-16-2012, 04:05 PM
After downloading this to my Kindle, I flew through it in an afternoon and evening.

The author knows skating, as one can tell from his descriptions of the moves, jumps, spins, IJS, etc. He also has a wicked, irreverent sense of humor.

No one, not skaters, adults skaters, skating mothers, the rich, the poor, the USFS, the judges - NO ONE is SAFE in this novel. Add in a little insight into Chinese history, and the mix is very enticing. I experienced deep belly laughter and the need to turn the pages until it was finished.

This is a really fun, very funny and irreverent novel. It dares to say what many have thought, and could possibly be polarizing.

I LOVED it!

essence_of_soy
01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Oooh. It sounds like The Joy Luck Club on Ice.

IceAlisa
01-16-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't have a Kindle. Would it be possible to read it on a PC?

PairSk8r
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Oooh. It sounds like The Joy Luck Club on Ice.

Unless the JLC has a whopping dose of OCD, Mao-era China, prostitution, alcohol abuse, creepy Japanese tutors, a poor skating mother would would do ANYTHING for her kid to win, drunk elitists, home baked cookies, skating competitions, triples, flying spins, skating politiKs, women in fur coats with little dogs, stern Russian skating coaches, gay American skating coaches and a host of DRAMA, I am not sure it can compete with this.

Enjoy! I know I did.

It is :kickass:

BittyBug
01-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Enjoy! I know I did.You wouldn't happen to know the author, would you? ;)

nubka
01-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I wish I liked reading novels, but I just don't. :(

PairSk8r
01-17-2012, 12:41 AM
You wouldn't happen to know the author, would you? ;)

Because we are both adult skaters here in the US for many, many years, we do know each other. The author Andy Schell is from California, I am from Chicago.

Having just finished the book, I remembered some of the plot devices and would like to recommend it.

:)

AxelAnnie
01-17-2012, 02:42 AM
Oh... Thanks so much for the info... Just downloaded to my kindle. I am spending the next week at the hospital with my sainted uncle who is having hear surgery and my equally sainted aunt.... So I am really happy to have something fun to read.

FiveRinger
01-17-2012, 03:12 AM
I just downloaded this to my Kindle.....my 2nd figure skating novel in as many weeks. I can't wait to read this!

just wondering
01-17-2012, 03:36 AM

Me neither. :( I have a nook. Is this published in Digital Editions, too? Those of us without Kindles could enjoy.
Will certainly download/purchase if another format is available.

IceAlisa
01-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Yes, please let us know if it is. I would love to read it as guilty pleasure. :)

sleepypanda
01-17-2012, 04:14 AM

You can download the Kindle app onto your PC (or Mac, phone, iPad, etc.) and read it on there. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sv_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Thanks for the book info! I look forward to reading it soon! :)

IceAlisa
01-17-2012, 04:18 AM
THANK YOU!!! :)