PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Ship Strikes Rock off Italian Coast; 3 dead, 70 missing.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Rex
01-14-2012, 07:09 PM
110,000 ton CostaConcordia strikes rocks, capsizes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16561904).

Hope that the missing list shrinks. Apparently the boat drill was delayed.

floskate
01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
In all my years of working on cruise liners, I never remember delaying the first boat drill for passengers. This has to be carried out in a certain timeframe by maritime law and all ours were either before sailing or within an hour of sailing. It was NEVER delayed. :eek: Costa have never had the best reputation for safety within the industry but this is really shocking in this day and age. Thank goodness they were so close to land otherwise it would have been catastrophic. :(

Skittl1321
01-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Very scary :(

skatesindreams
01-14-2012, 08:35 PM
There were reports of people jumping into the water in panic.
I hope that they can accurately account for all those onboard.

Rex
01-14-2012, 08:37 PM
In all my years of working on cruise liners, I never remember delaying the first boat drill for passengers. This has to be carried out in a certain timeframe by maritime law and all ours were either before sailing or within an hour of sailing. It was NEVER delayed. :eek: Costa have never had the best reputation for safety within the industry but this is really shocking in this day and age. Thank goodness they were so close to land otherwise it would have been catastrophic. :(

Isn't a ship supposed to conduct the boat drill within a certain amount of time after its departure from a port?

pingu
01-14-2012, 08:37 PM
They've just said on the evening news that the missing are now 40.

pingu
01-14-2012, 08:39 PM

Some passengers said it was supposed to be done today

skipaway
01-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I heard on CNN that the safety drill, on board that ship, is supposed to be conducted within 24 hours of leaving port. I think the ship was within that time period and the safety drill had yet to be done.

floskate
01-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I heard on CNN that the safety drill, on board that ship, is supposed to be conducted within 24 hours of leaving port. I think the ship was within that time period and the safety drill had yet to be done.

That sounds about right but as I already said, practically every other line does them immediately prior to, or just after departure. You cannot guarantee that nothing will happen on the first night at sea and the company has a responsibility to ensure that passengers know what to do in such an eventuality. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that timeframe significantly narrowed as a result of this.

Parsley Sage
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I was reading on a Cruise board that while a few passengers had boarded in Civitavecchia on Friday, most passengers would either be getting on or off in Savona on Saturday and that is why they were doing the muster drill on Saturday.

The newsticker on CBC Newsworld is saying that the captain has been charged with manslaughter and abandoning ship.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/14/cruise-italy.html

Rex
01-15-2012, 01:08 AM
The cruises I've been on, they had the boat drill 2-3 hours after leaving port.

Cachoo
01-15-2012, 01:09 AM
Carnival---it seems I've heard that name before when it comes to big problems/ accidents/ tragedies associated with cruises (ABC said the ship was booked with Carnival customers.)

Rex
01-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Carnival---it seems I've heard that name before when it comes to big problems/ accidents/ tragedies associated with cruises (ABC said the ship was booked with Carnival customers.)

Carnival owns Costa, as well as Cunard, Holland America, Princess, P&O, Seabourn, as well as AIDA.

I saw on ABC News tonight that the captain has been arrested (http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/281853/20120114/costa-concordia-captain-arrested-italy-cruise-ship.htm). (This story confirms it).

Allegedly the captain left the ship before some of the passengers and other crew members!

nubka
01-15-2012, 01:38 AM
They keep mentioning the Titanic, but in most ways I think it's a lot more similar to the listing/evacuation/sinking of the Italian liner, Andrea Doria. :( :(

FigureSpins
01-15-2012, 01:50 AM
The articles are really interesting - I know people in NYC with all of the same last names as the people quoted.