PDA

View Full Version : Miss America

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DarrellH
01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Anyone going to watch? Got your picks?

Read that Kris Jenner is one of the judges. Why do they need to do stunt casting for judges?

cruisin
01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
^^ Yeah, she is. I watched Good Morning America yesterday and she and Lara Spencer are both judging. I would like to know what qualifications judges need.

milanessa
01-13-2012, 05:16 PM
I would like to know what qualifications judges need.

I doubt there are any except a possibly recognizable name. I won't be watching.

Cachoo
01-13-2012, 05:59 PM
The current Miss A is a friend's niece. And though they believed in her chances even they were shocked because she is quite young.

Aceon6
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Wasn't even aware it was going on until I saw the blurb about Hawaii winning talent jumping rope.

DarrellH
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I like how they've added U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as contestants in the last few years.

I love the part about the jump-rope talent. Miss the days of the good old baton twirlers.

A girl from my home town won back in the 80's.

soxxy
01-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm opting out this year to watch the playoff game.....Go Pats!!!!

overedge
01-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Read that Kris Jenner is one of the judges. Why do they need to do stunt casting for judges?

Because the broadcast of the show is back on a big network, and they want to get ratings and do cross-promotion. Which is probably why someone from Good Morning America (also on ABC) is one of the judges.

But hasn't this always been a problem with Miss America? That the state winners are chosen by experienced pageant judges, and then the "stunt casting" judges come in at Miss America and make a choice that makes everyone else go :confused: :eek:?

Civic
01-13-2012, 11:01 PM
I like how they've added U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as contestants in the last few years.

I love the part about the jump-rope talent. Miss the days of the good old baton twirlers.

A girl from my home town won back in the 80's.
I can do you one better. A former Miss America lived in my dorm when I was in grad school. Of course, this was before she became Miss America.

OlieRow
01-13-2012, 11:35 PM
I'll be rooting for Miss SC, Bree Boyce, as she has a fantastic story. I didn't expect her to win Miss SC (but that's probably because I was biased and rooting hard for an old acquaintance ;)) but she really lives her platform.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/25/health/beauty-queen-weightloss/index.html

BigB08822
01-13-2012, 11:38 PM
I always kind of figured that the stunt judges were told who to watch for and basically instructed on how to vote. I can't imagine them leaving it up to those judges 100%

cruisin
01-13-2012, 11:50 PM
I always kind of figured that the stunt judges were told who to watch for and basically instructed on how to vote. I can't imagine them leaving it up to those judges 100%

So, just like skating :D

DarrellH
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
So, just like skating :D

LOL! ...and some of the gowns could be shortened into great skating outfits.

I always pull for Miss Mississippi, since I grew up there.

cruisin
01-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Rooted for Miss Mass last year :), this year, I go back to not caring.

Flatfoote
01-14-2012, 01:17 AM
I can do you one better. A former Miss Colorado lived in my dorm when I was in grad school. Of course, this was before she became Miss America.

I can do ya one just as good. Miss Colorado 1975 was my sister's good friend. I just Googled her name and came up with this: http://www.pennycurrier.com/ Can you guess what her talent was? LOL. You'll see in the "about Penny" page on her site, it says she was a "former Miss Colorado." A quick Google search further, and I find on Wikipedia what year she was Miss Colorado.

I remember sitting in English class in HS, and someone mentioned her a big writeup in the paper about her. I mentioned that she was a good friend of my older sister's and nobody would beleive me, like I was trying to impress them with name dropping or something. LOL.