PDA

View Full Version : Miss America

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Louise
01-14-2012, 05:30 AM
I plan to watch. The prelim winners were TX, UT, and NY for Swimsuit and WI, HI, and OK for Talent. OK has had good vibes this whole week, and non prelim winners that I'd expect to make top 10 are SC, VA, MO, and CA.

As for the stunt judging, I believe most are associated with ABC. Kris Jenner made me roll my eyes, but whatever. I just hope this year they pick a mature and beautiful contestant. MissAm has been dogged for years by picking only moderately attractive interview queens.

Whatever the case, I'll be glad when Teresa Scanlan the current MA gives it up. She's been an embarassment.

skateboy
01-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Whatever the case, I'll be glad when Teresa Scanlan the current MA gives it up. She's been an embarassment.

I have heard anything about her since she was crowned last year. What'd she do wrong?

Louise
01-14-2012, 08:54 AM
I have heard anything about her since she was crowned last year. What'd she do wrong?

Uggh. She bores me so much. But basically she's a know-it-all ultra-conservative. A 17 y/o homeschooled girl who has a chip on her shoulder. She even criticized Obama and stated that he doesn't know the Consitution, which received some press since Obama is a Harvard Law Review educated, CON LAW professor. She learned more about ConLaw I suppose in her home schooling than he did at Harvard Law. Tomorrow won't come soon enough.

Also, her platform was loving yourself for who you are or something, and she has been wearing a wig the entire time, even when she was crowned. She's a bit 'off'. But FoxNews luvs her.

overedge
01-14-2012, 07:50 PM
and she has been wearing a wig the entire time, even when she was crowned.

Well, yeah, she wears a wig because she has damaged hair. And since a lot of contestants have hair extensions and other add-ons, why is her wearing a wig a problem?

Cachoo
01-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Uggh. She bores me so much. But basically she's a know-it-all ultra-conservative. A 17 y/o homeschooled girl who has a chip on her shoulder. She even criticized Obama and stated that he doesn't know the Consitution, which received some press since Obama is a Harvard Law Review educated, CON LAW professor. She learned more about ConLaw I suppose in her home schooling than he did at Harvard Law. Tomorrow won't come soon enough.

Also, her platform was loving yourself for who you are or something, and she has been wearing a wig the entire time, even when she was crowned. She's a bit 'off'. But FoxNews luvs her.

Well Faux News has Gretchen (can't remember her last name.) Teresa may not be far behind. For once I would love to see an outspoken political liberal take the crown. I don't remember it ever happening. I hope I'm wrong about that.

skatesindreams
01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Well Faux News has Gretchen (can't remember her last name.)

Gretchen Carlson - Miss America 1989.
I refuse to watch FOX News; but I know that!

soxxy
01-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Well Faux News has Gretchen (can't remember her last name.) Teresa may not be far behind. For once I would love to see an outspoken political liberal take the crown. I don't remember it ever happening. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Just guessing: Vanessa Williams?

Louise
01-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Well, yeah, she wears a wig because she has damaged hair. And since a lot of contestants have hair extensions and other add-ons, why is her wearing a wig a problem?

Well, don't you find it slightly odd that the contestant whose platform was loving yourself as you are totallly trashed her hair with chlorox and perms to the point that her hair fell out so that she'd have to wear a WIG for 15 months?!?! You probably do not recall I'm sure that Miss DE last year suffered from alopecia, translation she had NO hair. She opted to wear a wig which raised some eyebrows too, but heck, she HAD NO HAIR. Teresa on her own accord destroyed her hair (note to homeschoolers across America, you might know ConLaw better than Obama, but homeschooling doesn't teach you the ins and outs of home-bleaching and perming...). She is a disgrace, and if MA wasn't so irrelevant she might have gotten more press. Just a few more hours and Teresa will just be a bad memory.

PDilemma
01-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Actually, her platform was Eating Disorders. It certainly included the idea of loving yourself as you are, but with a focus on body image, not hair. Link:

http://www.missamerica.org/miss-america/meet-miss-america.aspx

Cachoo
01-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, don't you find it slightly odd that the contestant whose platform was loving yourself as you are totallly trashed her hair with chlorox and perms to the point that her hair fell out so that she'd have to wear a WIG for 15 months?!?! You probably do not recall I'm sure that Miss DE last year suffered from alopecia, translation she had NO hair. She opted to wear a wig which raised some eyebrows too, but heck, she HAD NO HAIR. Teresa on her own accord destroyed her hair (note to homeschoolers across America, you might know ConLaw better than Obama, but homeschooling doesn't teach you the ins and outs of home-bleaching and perming...). She is a disgrace, and if MA wasn't so irrelevant she might have gotten more press. Just a few more hours and Teresa will just be a bad memory.

Louise---she might be a different person in a few years (I hope.) I just remember how narrow minded I was coming out of high school and how much that changed with exposure to different groups of people. There are good points to being so protected as a child but are most certainly negative points too. I wonder if Teresa at 23 or 24 as Miss America would have been different than Teresa at 17 winning the crown. We'll never know.

Karina1974
01-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Actually, her platform was Eating Disorders. It certainly included the idea of loving yourself as you are, but with a focus on body image, not hair. Link:

http://www.missamerica.org/miss-america/meet-miss-america.aspx

Considering all the women out there who bleach their hair blonde or get those trashy-looking skunk-stripe highlights, I'd say hair is definitely part of "body image" for most women. Too bad a lot of them end up getting it wrong.

PDilemma
01-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Considering all the women out there who bleach their hair blonde or get those trashy-looking skunk-stripe highlights, I'd say hair is definitely part of "body image" for most women.

But it isn't typically an issue associated with eating disorders which was her platform.

Karina1974
01-14-2012, 10:29 PM
But it isn't typically an issue associated with eating disorders which was her platform.

But hair loss is. And, as Louise pointed out, some of the more "extreme" hair coloring/styling techniques can absolutely trash one's hair, to the point of losing it in some cases.

http://www.hairloss.com/home/eating-disorders-and-hair-loss.html

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Lacey
01-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Eating disorders can cause hair loss too.

PDilemma
01-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Wow...you all really missed my point. Which was, essentially, that her platform was not what Louise claimed it was. :wall: