PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting this particular controversy

Pages : 1 [2] 3

pollyanna
01-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I agree that their free program was unusual, but what I consider a major crime is that they did not win the 2nd part of the competition in Calgary - I think they used to call this the Original Set Pattern (??). Their OSP was THE BEST of the night.

It was SO COOL, very unique and inventive. Commentator Toller Cranston loved it as well, calling it "a work of art."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEz1xYVO-aw

Mevrouw
01-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Pronounce the 'Du' like "pew" to begin, so then it's "Dew-Shenn-Ay". Syllables are almost equally accented.

I've heard doo-SHANE-ee, doo-SHENN-ee and more.

Susan M
01-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Really and truly, their being left off the podium in 1988 should not be seen as controversial.
I agree. Even the judge who placed them highest still only had them 4th (a generous 4th, IMO). Their program was flamboyant and showy for the audience, but judges need to look at other things. Still, the Duchesnay's Calgary performances positioned them really well to move up to become contenders in the next quadrennium. The next year, Dean really worked on improving their skills and pushing them to more difficulty.

what I consider a major crime is that they did not win the 2nd part of the competition in Calgary - I think they used to call this the Original Set Pattern
IMO the dance crime of 88 was Klimova-Ponomarekeno not winning, made to wait their turn behind the painful to watch Besty-Buk.

CynicElle
01-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd forgotten how cool that free dance was. Thanks for the link!

Twilight1
01-17-2012, 01:43 AM
IMHO The Duchesnay's brought the void to ice dance. I loved all of their stuff up to 1991... I thought 1992 was a bust and that is a bummer. WSS just did nothing for me and I thought Usove & Zhulin should have won the silver there. Heck I would have Grishuk & Platov in 3rd over them too.

I liked that they were so original and thought in 1988 they were robbed. Technically speaking, they were not as smooth as B&B, K&P, W&M and A&S but originality, musicality, interpretation they were amazing.

gk_891
01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I agree. Even the judge who placed them highest still only had them 4th (a generous 4th, IMO). Their program was flamboyant and showy for the audience, but judges need to look at other things. Still, the Duchesnay's Calgary performances positioned them really well to move up to become contenders in the next quadrennium. The next year, Dean really worked on improving their skills and pushing them to more difficulty.

IMO the dance crime of 88 was Klimova-Ponomarekeno not winning, made to wait their turn behind the painful to watch Besty-Buk.

I never understood why the judges wanted to keep Klimova & Ponomarenko behind Bestemianova & Bukin when the formers were so clearly superiour to the latter. I would've had B&B no higher than 3rd at the Calgary Olympics as technically W&M were also so clearly superiour to B&B.

As for D&D, I couldn't stand their poor skating skills. At the 92 Olympics, they should've been off the podium altogether. My placements would've been Klimova & Ponomarenko in first, Grishuk & Platov in second, and Usova & Zhulin in third.

gkelly
01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I never understood why the judges wanted to keep Klimova & Ponomarenko behind Bestemianova & Bukin when the formers were so clearly superiour to the latter. I would've had B&B no higher than 3rd at the Calgary Olympics as technically W&M were also so clearly superiour to B&B.

Maybe it was not so clear to the judges that these other teams were superior -- maybe they were prioritizing different technical skills than you are.

gk_891
01-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe it was not so clear to the judges that these other teams were superior -- maybe they were prioritizing different technical skills than you are.

From what I saw, B&B were relatively weak technically while both K&P and W&M skated with far superiour content in both the steps and handholds and better edge quality. From what I remember of B&B, their garish expression was a very obvious attempt to overcompensate when they lack technically. I thought B&B should've been no higher than 3rd in 1986, 1987, and 1988. But that's just me.

pollyanna
01-17-2012, 04:32 PM
From what I saw, B&B were relatively weak technically while both K&P and W&M skated with far superiour content in both the steps and handholds and better edge quality. From what I remember of B&B, their garish expression was a very obvious attempt to overcompensate when they lack technically. I thought B&B should've been no higher than 3rd in 1986, 1987, and 1988. But that's just me.
I tend to agree, but I will say that B&B had some :kickass: CDs back in the day. Their 1988 kilian CD was to die for, incredibly deep edges and perfect unison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3do9T5SoI

briancoogaert
01-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I tend to agree, but I will say that B&B had some :kickass: CDs back in the day. Their 1988 kilian CD was to die for, incredibly deep edges and perfect unison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3do9T5SoI
That's what I was going to post.
It's not difficult to understand why B&B were first. They were so superior at compulsories. And if you watch the rankings, the places were the same for almost every team from compulsories to fd.
Anyway, I don't particularly like K&P, and think B&B were superior.

Erin
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
K&P also had a dreadful FD in 88 IMO (Beatles muzak) and most years in that quad. The only FD I liked from that era was their Hungarian Rhapsody, which was in either 86 or 87. It was a shame because they had some wonderful exhibition programs from that time, so it wasn't like they weren't capable of good programs. I felt like they started to really hit their stride in 89 with their Mack the Knife program, which was dance-y without being as generic as their 85-88 programs.

pollyanna
01-17-2012, 06:39 PM
K&P also had a dreadful FD in 88 IMO (Beatles muzak) and most years in that quad. The only FD I liked from that era was their Hungarian Rhapsody, which was in either 86 or 87. It was a shame because they had some wonderful exhibition programs from that time, so it wasn't like they weren't capable of good programs. I felt like they started to really hit their stride in 89 with their Mack the Knife program, which was dance-y without being as generic as their 85-88 programs.

I blame Dubova. :P

(Hungarian Rhapsody was 1987)

briancoogaert
01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
K&P 1992 FD was beautiful. One of the best FD ever, IMO. :swoon:

pollyanna
01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
K&P 1992 FD was beautiful. One of the best FD ever, IMO. :swoon:
Totally agree. Thank you Tarasova.

gk_891
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
That's what I was going to post.
It's not difficult to understand why B&B were first. They were so superior at compulsories. And if you watch the rankings, the places were the same for almost every team from compulsories to fd.
Anyway, I don't particularly like K&P, and think B&B were superior.

I thought Klimova & Ponomarenko's killian was better. They skated closer together, had more fluid handholds, and smoother edges.