PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sylvia
01-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Starting this new thread now as our US Ladies general thread #2 is almost at 1000 posts.

Carrying over the 2012 Junior World team/potential ladies discussion from the previous thread...

I would guess it will be three of the following six:
Gold, Keiser, Lam, Zawadski, Gao, Siraj with Wang as possible wildcard.

I think even with one year on the senior GP, Zawadski and Gao would still be sent to Jr Worlds if they are near the top and don't get sent to Sr Worlds.
This was Zawadzki's 2nd year on the Senior Grand Prix. Four Continents would be a great opportunity for her if she places high enough at Nationals.

With no previous international experience, Keiser would have to skate really well and place ahead of most of the seniors listed above in order to have an opportunity to go to Belarus, IMO. She is an obvious candidate for a spring developmental international assignment if USFS sends a team this year.

RD
01-11-2012, 06:50 PM
This was Zawadzki's 2nd year on the Senior Grand Prix. Four Continents would be a great opportunity for her if she places high enough at Nationals.

She'd have to be 3rd, right? Because they seem to end up sending the A-team to 4CCs in recent years. Especially since it's in the US this year, I can't imagine the world team isn't being sent there as well (as well as a 3rd skater of course).

smarts1
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Who going to Junior Olympics btw? We do have 2 spots for it right?

toddlj
01-11-2012, 07:39 PM

With no previous international experience, Keiser would have to skate really well and place ahead of most of the seniors listed above in order to have an opportunity to go to Belarus, IMO. She is an obvious candidate for a spring developmental international assignment if USFS sends a team this year.

Good points. Here's why I left both of them on my short list.

Agreed that Zawadzki would be better sent to 4CC, but if Zawadzki finishes 4th again this year, and is shut out of World's and 4cc's, it wouldn't suprise me to see her sent again to Jr Worlds. Wagner was assigned in 2010 in a similar situation, right?

Agreed about Kaiser, she will have to skate an amazing set of programs, but wasn't the same also true for Zawadzki and Hicks the first time they were sent to worlds? IIRC, they had no International experience prior to that. So it's not an impossibility.

Sylvia
01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Who going to Junior Olympics btw? We do have 2 spots for it right?
Jordan Bauth is the 1 US lady being sent - her assignment was previously and extensively discussed in this general Youth Olympics thread in GSD (starting with post #137): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78858&page=7

ChibiChibi
01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Agreed about Kaiser, she will have to skate an amazing set of programs, but wasn't the same also true for Zawadski and Hicks the first time they were sent to worlds? IIRC, they had no International experience prior to that. So it's not an impossibility.

I think the difference between Zawadski/Hicks and Keiser is the former two competed and won in Jr level at Nationals, but Keiser is cometing in Sr level. For Kesier to stand out among senior ladies and impress USFSA, she has to skate REALLY well, IMO.

toddlj
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I think the difference between Zawadski/Hicks and Keiser is the former two competed and won in Jr level at Nationals, but Keiser is cometing in Sr level. For Kesier to stand out among senior ladies and impress USFSA, she has to skate REALLY well, IMO.

Right. Lots of arguments either way for whether Keiser should have skated junior this year. In seniors, it may be hard to make a mark. Of course, in Juniors she'd have Gold to contend with, among others.

kwanatic
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I really hope the junior skaters get to go to junior worlds. If you've been competing on the senior GP for two years, you shouldn't get the option to go junior worlds.
I don't think Zawadski or Gao should be eligible and if they are, I hope the USFSA gives those spots to girls from the junior pool of skaters...they need the experience on the international level.

Jayar
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I really hope the junior skaters get to go to junior worlds. If you've been competing on the senior GP for two years, you shouldn't get the option to go junior worlds.
I don't think Zawadski or Gao should be eligible and if they are, I hope the USFSA gives those spots to girls from the junior pool of skaters...they need the experience on the international level.

Junior is an AGE group. It makes sense to me that anyone who is eligible can compete.

In terms of Keiser, I don't think that she will have to score a ton higher than other eligible ladies. She will just have to be at the top of the heap. I would guess that a top 10 finish would put her in the hunt depending on who opts for 4CCs. They don't typically take the entire year's record into account-- the skaters who perform and place well at Nationals get the assignments. My bet is for a 4CCs team of Zawadzki, Gao, and whoever of the top ladies doesn't get Worlds (Flatt, Czisny, Wagner, or Nagasu), and Junior Worlds will be Gold, Lam, and Keiser. I honestly think that Keiser has a good shot at a medal in San Jose-- it's a good year to start thinking about the next generation.

Skittl1321
01-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I had a dream about Nationals last night. I hope I do not have any sort of pre-cognition. While the dream was good news for Alissa, it was bad news for Mirai (and I'm hoping this year is her year, with Alissa in 2nd).

Mirai changed her costume and gave interviews about her edgy new program. Then, on her final combo spin, she caught the edge of her dress under the blade in the foot change, and fell wacking her head. (I think she was okay though.) If she shows up at nationals in a flowing red dress, best advert your eyes. Or break into the locker room and cut the skirt shorter.

Sylvia
01-11-2012, 09:13 PM
There's a separate thread about Alissa Czisny's pre-Nationals media teleconference yesterday in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81992

I believe Mirai Nagasu's teleconference is scheduled for later today.

BigB08822
01-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't mind skaters going to Jr. Worlds who have been competing senior. I do, however, think that the winner of Juniors at Nationals should get an automatic spot on the World team. Didn't it recently occur that the winner didn't get assigned? I think that is wrong. However, the other spot or two should be open to the two best eligible athletes, just like any other assignment is done. If you stick to only naming those who skated in the Jr competition then you discourage skaters from skating on the senior level at Nationals and that is a big experience gainer for them. You have to also remember that those medalling in Juniors are often skating there for the first time while those competing senior have been there before and are just trying to move up in the skating world. They shouldn't be punished for not staying behind and for trying to improve and gain experience.

Nomad
01-11-2012, 09:36 PM
... Didn't it recently occur that the winner didn't get assigned? ...

Alexe Gilles, 2008.

Skittl1321
01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't mind skaters going to Jr. Worlds who have been competing senior.

I don't mind Jr World's going to skaters who compete as US seniors, but I think that if you skate on the Senior Grand Prix, if you are age-eligible for regular World's you shouldn't be allowed to go to Jr. World's.

I don't think the US designation of Jr vs Sr means anything in terms of the designation of Junior Worlds- the word junior means two different things.
But senior grand prix vs. junior grand prix is the ISU designation of jr. And once you are an international senior, you shouldn't get to go back down, unless you are too young to go to senior worlds. (But I have never understood why the age restriction only applies to some events.)

gkelly
01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
When people say in this thread they want to see certain rules or guidelines about who gets sent to Junior Worlds based on what level the skater competes at Nationals or in fall competitions, are those wishes specific to the US ladies because that's the topic of this thread, or more generalized?

E.g., should the rules/guidelines be different for the boys than for the girls because boys are usually at a different point in their careers at ages 15-18?

Should rules/guidelines be different in other countries where there may be only one or two world-class ladies in that age group?