PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

bek
01-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Renting some place for her to live in Cathedral City, utilities, and vehicle expenses for her to have her own (likely a necessity if she lived on her own in CA) would be way more than the $500 they are likely spending in gas now and would barely be offset by Mirai spending her spare time saying "would you like fries with that?". Not too mention that, as a high school teacher, I saw how uncooperative minimum wage employers are with kids playing in a Friday night football game at home, informing them you need a week or more off each time for two GP events, possibly the final, Nationals, 4CCs and Worlds...good luck with that.

High school sports and Olympic caliber athlete are two very different things. Having a National Champion work for you, is good advertisement. Lots of Olympic athletes who yes have to train and stuff do have part time jobs. I know Home Depot once advertised that they hired a ton of Olympic athletes, and yes that would mean working around their competitive schedules. I doubt employers would look at high school athletics/ and competiting for the United States as the same thing. Even if your a local company, its free picture perfect advertisement. And heck some skaters partly fund their costs by just teaching part time skating lessons... Lets say Mirai spends one hour a day, that she would have spent driving, teaching lets say 6 year olds. I bet she could make a nice little bit of money.

But even if Nagasu didn't choose to work part time and instead focused completely on training, which she probably should do at her age. Not having to do a four hour commute regularly would free up her mom.

And a more stabilized training situation would likely mean better results/more money coming in...
Time after all IS money.

Once again I don't know their situation can't say what the best move for them is. But I'm not so sure spending all of that time driving around really is just because of money. And DO I think its perfectly understandable if they don't feel Nagasu is ready to be living on her own.

change of edge
01-16-2012, 03:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgE5hSMKhpQ

I feel like Mirai's performance here at Nebelhorn has been the best she skated it all season (even with the fall, she seemed to have performed it better now). She even had her flip in there. I remember not being too impressed with it when I first saw it, but now after all her GP's I feel I would be happy if she could just return to what she did at Nebelhorn for Nationals (and then step it up for Worlds!)

AJ Skatefan
01-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Once again I don't know their situation can't say what the best move for them is.

That's right. You don't know their situation.

bek
01-16-2012, 05:11 AM
That's right. You don't know their situation.

I was just trying to point in general terms why the time spent driving four hours could be spent on other things (that could fund her living closer to her rink)

But that doesn't mean though whatsoever her moving closer to her rink is the best solution for Mirai and her family.

Sasha'sSpins
01-16-2012, 06:20 AM
My 17 year old nephew doesn't have a license yet, either. Until this semester, he was at boarding school where he could not have a car on campus. And now he will not be getting one until at least May due to costs and his parents not wanting to give a car as an unintentional reward for failing out of boarding school.

It also occurs to me that Mirai's training situation could be related to money, as well. Having her move to the Cathedral City area where Frank is would cost in rent + other expenses and probably require her to have her own vehicle as well. Living at home and using other rinks part of the time is probably cheaper. It is naive of us to assume that every skater's training decisions are based on their motivation/priorities or lack thereof...when money probably is the first factor in many choices.

This is true. I'm guilty of sometimes still being of the '90s post Harding/Kerrigan mindset when it seemed ALL the top skaters were in shows and the money was rolling in from said shows and endorsements.

brightphoton
01-16-2012, 07:38 AM
I got my driver's license when I was 18, simply because the 16-17 year old's permit was so restrictive it was useless. You were legally not allowed to drive a car unless an 18+ year old with a license was riding shotgun. In the words of Clueless, "A licensed driver with nothing to do? Where would I find such a loser?

olympic
01-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Re Mirai, I wonder if she would benefit from moving to Arutunian; closer, training at altitude [I think?], and from the discussion above, it seems to release her personality more. I also think Arutunian doesn't have any star pupils right now?

-----

Back to Alissa. I can't find the thread now, but the Detroit Ice Show thread contains a link to performances by Jeremy, Alissa, Adam, Grant, etc. from last week

I was a little nervous about the hot mess of an LP Alissa laid out on the ice. The GPF performances were one thing, but now it's 2 in a row. I'm a little concerned, even if there's a logical explanation for it :(

RD
01-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Meh, it was just a show. Really not that big of a deal IMHO.

Look at the turnaround Nagasu made during the GP in just one short week that involved long-distance travel. If there is any reason to worry about Czisny, this isn't it. Rather, it's her track record with defending titles.

Sylvia
01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
The 4th installment of the espnW.com series on Rachael Flatt was published today (Jan. 16, 2012): http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/7459310/rachael-flatt-donning-new-look-nationals

olympic
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
The 4th installment of the espnW.com series on Rachael Flatt was published today (Jan. 16, 2012): http://espn.go.com/espnw/mobile/touch/athletes-life/7459310/rachael-flatt-donning-new-look-nationals

Lots of tidbits re Rachael Flatt. Bold mine -

Flatt said her ankle, which is painful because of a malady similar to tendinitis, is "still hurting." She went through physical therapy in Colorado and came back to California with new skates that include silicone padding and a reconstructed tongue to minimize pressure. "I started breaking those in at the end of last week," Flatt said.
"It's really close to competition to be breaking in new skates. It's a little nerve-racking, but it was a last-ditch thing. I haven't been able to do my triple-flip or triple lutz for quite a while. It's really been frustrating." But it's time to put the frustration away. Flatt will scale back her training schedule a bit as the competition in San Jose approaches.

:yikes:

Coco
01-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Someone who cares about Rachael the person needs to step in and help her create a sustainable schedule and realistic expectations. She's at a vulnerable and critical point in her personal development, and I shudder to think of the impact of all these demoralizing experiences.

love_skate2011
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Back to Alissa. I can't find the thread now, but the Detroit Ice Show thread contains a link to performances by Jeremy, Alissa, Adam, Grant, etc. from last week

I was a little nervous about the hot mess of an LP Alissa laid out on the ice. The GPF performances were one thing, but now it's 2 in a row. I'm a little concerned, even if there's a logical explanation for it :(

here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2Wfuj1XHA

I hope she'll be in full shape at nationals

edonice
01-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Lots of tidbits re Rachael Flatt. Bold mine -

:yikes:

Based on Dillon's statements, it sounds like Rachael might be considering retirement. "I think she also wants to end anything she's doing on a good note." Whether it's worlds or the next Olympics. "Whatever it ends up being. You always want to walk away from something that gave you so much joy thinking 'I feel good.'"

Rachael's statements are a little more mild, but she for someone so careful about her public statements, it definitely sounds like retiring's on her mind: "Once my season is over, I will re-evaluate, but I've always taken skating on a year-to-year basis. As much as I'd like to commit to the next three, four or five years, I am being realistic about the demands of school. Skating definitely takes a lot of work and time."

I've been ambivalent about her skating in recent years. Last year she seemed so focused on what the judges wanted - rather than what she wanted - that her performances seemed false. If she can get past this tough period, I think she'll be a much stronger skater for it. But skating at her level means being all in, not figuring out whether or not it will work for her. I think this season will determine whether or not she ends up competing through the next Olympics or retiring to focus on school.

edonice
01-16-2012, 08:09 PM
here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2Wfuj1XHA

I hope she'll be in full shape at nationals

This does make me nervous. She looks tentative. I've loved the fighter Alissa, and hope that her recent injuries haven't exhausted her too much to fight at Nationals.

On the other hand, she may not have had a great warm-up that day, it might have been a long time before she had a chance to skate, she might just have been tired or feeling run-down. Who knows? If anything, it's good that she's not peaking too soon before Nationals.

RD
01-16-2012, 08:13 PM
As for Flatt, the bar is certainly being set low- but again, I think there is a definite possibility that Nationals could be her last competition.

So, to summarize- we have Flatt and Nagasu lowering expectations, Wagner raising them and Czisny keeping the status quo. Interesting.