PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Domshabfan
01-14-2012, 03:52 PM
I also dislike the idea of using Four Continents as an additional qualifier. That's essentially asking a skater to peak 3 times. It's just asking for trouble once worlds comes around.

Some of the european skaters must be really special then...

Jayar
01-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Some of the european skaters must be really special then...

I think it lends itself to selecting the most consistent team.

Jammers
01-14-2012, 06:33 PM
She's 18, not in college, doesn't have a driver's license, and basically skating is her full time job. Would that be correct? I guess I question her commitment to skating if she can only produce what we've seen this season. And maybe that interview was her trying to be her usual off-beat self, but frankly she is an adult now and she needs to act it. I wasn't amused at her ditziness. I'm sure TPTB at USFS aren't either.

I don't know, but alarm bells went off when I read that. Not only her inarticulateness, I mean, it was a phone interview so it was sketchy to begin with. But I'd be alarmed if someone's full time job, her major/only commitment right now is not on track. No one is ever really prepared for competition? Umm, no. Many people are completely prepared for competition. I'm torn, because I sometimes hate the whole "I just want to do my best, I am as prepared as I can be", but in reality, that's the outlook someone world class SHOULD have. I like Ashley's bravado, but that she has NOT backed it up in the least makes it embarrasing. Eventually you'd think she'd come back down to earth and say something like "I'm the underdog, but I have switched coaches, attitudes, training methods, elements, and totally given myself to this sport, and I hope that it shows in my placement this year at Nationals and I hope to win the title".

I dunno, I've been so bored and jaded the last quad. It would have been like after 1994 with no Kwan or Lipinski, the quad was CONTINUALLY represented by Bobek, Kwiatkowski, and Ervin. And then after 98, they all decided to stay IN after nothing special. eek.

Maybe it's time to clean the slate. The last quad was horrendous, and this quad is only the same old same old with the exact same skaters in 'contention' (for what exactly?).

I also have a feeling that Frank Carroll will not be telling Nagasu right before she does her LP "You are the best skater in the World, go out and prove it!". That was still passable last year. This year it will be like "You are one of the top ten or twenty skaters in the world, go out and prove it".
I couldn't agree with you more. This crop of girls hasn't gotten it done and when you think that the favorite is someone who's appeared at Nationals since 2002 what does that say for the younger skaters? I just hope that next year someone anyone shows some attitude. Hopefully someone like Gracie Gold. I guess we will see how she does in about 10 days.

Jarrett
01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Here's what Ashley Wagner was quoted as saying in a general preview article I posted in the US Nationals forum:

Well thats an Ashley I can cheer my head off for at Nationals! :rollin:

olympic
01-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Looking forward to Nats:

IMO

Despite it all, I think the fight for the 2 US spots will solely be among Wagner, Czisny and Nagasu. Flatt has way too many issues previously discussed to get around in time. Zawadzki and Gao are still relative newcomers, have made too many mistakes and built no momentum this season. The rest of the top ladies are juniors [Lam, Keiser, Siraj, Cesario] and will be focused on making the team for Junior Worlds.

When all is said and done, I think Czisny will have at least a one-jump error on Wagner and Nagasu. I think she'll make the team.

I think the 2d spot will be determined by whether Wagner does 3-3s -or- Nagasu skates cleanly with some passion. Wagner will not get around Nagasu if Nagasu skates well even without a 3-3. If Mirai is flat, stumbly, etc. and Wagner skates with a 3-3, Nagasu will be left off the team.

What happens if Wagner and Nagasu are both sub-par? That's a tough question. It might be Nagasu just because she is favored on the international stage.

aftershocks
01-15-2012, 02:21 AM
^^ True, but Ashley's programs have been received very well internationally this season. I think she performed well enough to have made the GP final. Interested to see the changes she's made in choreo/ jump layout to both programs.

I like Ashley's programs and her fiery determination much better than Mirai's programs this season and her seemingly on-off desire/ motivation.

Karpenko
01-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Well thats an Ashley I can cheer my head off for at Nationals! :rollin:

Yes! :respec: Smart, honest, not getting ahead or sticking your foot in your mouth, and makes you excited to see her compete. :cheer:

Between her, Alissa, and Mirai, I'm going to be crushed for one of them (I hope its not Mirai for the 2nd year, but then I want Ashley to finally go, but then again I don't want another Alissa :fragile: when this could be her last year to medal at Worlds).

Damn you, Rachel.

Sasha'sSpins
01-15-2012, 06:50 AM
It's funny to me that there are still people who expect Mirai to give political answers and are scared when she says what a lot of the others are actually thinking. I think she's one of those people who thrives on people being surprised when she skates well vs. a "everything is going perfectly, I am so excited" attitude.

Who said I expect Mirai (or any other skater for that matter) to give politically correct answers? I just said her response scares me-and it does this close to Nationals. Of course I hope it means nothing.

Sasha'sSpins
01-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Plus, with all the restrictions now, getting a license at 16 in CA means that you can drive yourself only between the hours of 5am and 11 pm for the first 12 months. If you wait till you're 18 you don't have any restrictions.

My twin nephews just turned 16 and don't have their permits yet. Their divorced parents are already helping their older sister and brother with their cars/insurance. They can't afford any more for another 6 months or so when their sibling's respective cars are paid off-and they've graduated from high school/college respectively. This economy has been rough for many. I imagine Mirai's parents (who own/run a restaurant I believe) can just about make her skating expenses. I don't think Mirai has had very many endorsements either since she turned senior.

PDilemma
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM
My twin nephews just turned 16 and don't have their permits yet. Their divorced parents are already helping their older sister and brother with their cars/insurance. They can't afford any more for another 6 months or so when their sibling's respective cars are paid off-and they've graduated from high school/college respectively. This economy has been rough for many. I imagine Mirai's parents (who own/run a restaurant I believe) can just about make her skating expenses. I don't think Mirai has had very many endorsements either since she turned senior.

My 17 year old nephew doesn't have a license yet, either. Until this semester, he was at boarding school where he could not have a car on campus. And now he will not be getting one until at least May due to costs and his parents not wanting to give a car as an unintentional reward for failing out of boarding school.

It also occurs to me that Mirai's training situation could be related to money, as well. Having her move to the Cathedral City area where Frank is would cost in rent + other expenses and probably require her to have her own vehicle as well. Living at home and using other rinks part of the time is probably cheaper. It is naive of us to assume that every skater's training decisions are based on their motivation/priorities or lack thereof...when money probably is the first factor in many choices.

smarts1
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM
^ Not to mention having her parents commute really far to their restaurant if she moves to Cathedral City.

Where is Artunian based btw?

PDilemma
01-15-2012, 09:26 PM
^ Not to mention having her parents commute really far to their restaurant if she moves to Cathedral City.

It has been mentioned somewhere here at FSU that she should move alone since she is 18--which would mean extra rent, etc...and if the whole family moved, then there would be a huge commute for them, as you say. I would guess they are doing the best they can within their means to make her training work right now.

burntBREAD
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Arutunian's in Lake Arrowhead, where Frank used to be.

bek
01-15-2012, 11:35 PM
It has been mentioned somewhere here at FSU that she should move alone since she is 18--which would mean extra rent, etc...and if the whole family moved, then there would be a huge commute for them, as you say. I would guess they are doing the best they can within their means to make her training work right now.

Disclaimer, I don't know Mirai's situation can't judge whats best for the family whatsoever. How I just want to point out that Mirai's family is probably spending quite a lot of money on gas with that kind of commute. I know gas here in my area is over 3 dollars a gallon. They are probably looking at around 500 dollars a month in gas alone. Heck likely more.

The time that is spent commuting too is time that Mirai for example could perhaps use (seeing as she's just out of high school right) on a part time job or time that her Mom could use working as well. Plenty of skaters have part time jobs. Think about it 4 hours a day 3 times a week that's 12 hours a week- 48 hours a month. If she gets a job making minimum wage alone she could be bringing in around 384 dollars a month (not enough to live on your own by anymeans but certainly would help supplement things especially with the amount perhaps saved on gas.). Eight dollars an hour is the minimum right? Imagine doubling that if both Mirai and her mother got minimum wage jobs and spent all the time in the car doing that. I'm not saying that all they can get is a minimum wage job, but I'm just trying to make a point about the other options.

Not to mention that a more stable training environment would probably lead to better results which would mean more money coming as well. There are roomates, renting rooms etc, that can lead to reduced expenses as well.

Once again I can't judge whats best for the family. But that kind of commute can't be cheap, and it means losing out time that they could be earning money with. But once again they certainly know their situation better than I know it.

PDilemma
01-16-2012, 01:30 AM
Renting some place for her to live in Cathedral City, utilities, and vehicle expenses for her to have her own (likely a necessity if she lived on her own in CA) would be way more than the $500 they are likely spending in gas now and would barely be offset by Mirai spending her spare time saying "would you like fries with that?". Not too mention that, as a high school teacher, I saw how uncooperative minimum wage employers are with kids playing in a Friday night football game at home, informing them you need a week or more off each time for two GP events, possibly the final, Nationals, 4CCs and Worlds...good luck with that.